Atomic Cobalt computer issues

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
dphershman
Aquanaut

Atomic Cobalt computer issues

Post by dphershman »

I've used an Atomic Cobalt (1) for the past 6 years or so and I think I'm probably looking at a new device now. On my last dive instead of turning itself on automatically upon entering the water it showed the white screen of death. Im torn between sticking with the Cobalt or ditching it for a different device altogether.

Here's what I like about it.
a) Its so easy to read
b) changing gas settings is a breeze.
c) The layout just makes sense.
d) The color OLED display is really bright.

Here's what I don't like about it
a) I've sent it back at least 4 times over its life.
b) It blew up in pieces all over the deck of a dive boat in Belize. (despite undergoing the recall repair that was supposed to prevent this)
c) It tried to kill me in Puerto Galera when it froze at 45 feet in depth.
d) It once insisted that i was 150 feet at Fox Island West Wall.
e) The buttons froze up and had to be replaced twice.

To give Atomic credit though, they have always fixed or replaced it.... so far.

Im looking at reviews of the Cobalt 2 and, as you'd expect, people either love it or hate it. Many people report similar problems to what I've experienced so it clearly hasn't been fixed in the latter model.

Does anyone on this board have the newer model and care to comment? Or maybe someone might be able to suggest another device that has features similar to the Cobalt?

thanks!

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: Atomic Cobalt computer issues

Post by fmerkel »

Never had one but looking over your list of problems and outright failures I'd run away. Probably a Shearwater would serve you well.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Or you could upgrade to a shearwater perdix and avoid all those exciting (and annoying) dives.

Made in BC, local warranty service, and you will find no history of complaints about them cause their track record is stellar. Worth the money
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

thanks for the replies.... I'm going to look at the Perdix AI with a transmitter. Or perhaps a Suunto Eon.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

If you push your diving much, and that's not to the point of imminent DCS danger, you may find the Suunto conservative algorithm very very annoying. My wife has a Suunto, and she's had to bench it a few times during trips. It will decide she's had enough and lock her out, when the whole rest of the group on the same exact dives are doing just fine. They have a reputation....believe it. And, their customer service is going to hell.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Friends dont let friends dive with a Suunto.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I agree regarding the suunto. And the perdix!
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

I know about the conservatism of the Suunto devices, I had a buddy for a number of years that used a Cobra and he was often getting close to deco while my computer still read green. I'm not much of a 'push the envelope' kind of diver, but getting locked out on a trip would be a bummer (unless of course there was a strong reason to be locked out)

I talked at length with my LDS this morning about the Shearwater devices, I was told that the company isn't particularly responsive with support (even during the warranty period) and when the device is no longer in production there is no support whatsoever. Still, its priced at or below the major manufacturers products and is 'local'.

Anyone have direct experience with Shearwater customer support?

Dan
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

I would have to flip what your LDS said about Shearwater 180 degrees. They have great support, constant software and firmware updates, and long lasting value. My 8 year old Predators are still in great condition and received a low cost overhaul just last year. My perception is that SW has lot of customer loyalty.
Dave
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Your LDS is totally full of shit. Kurt (SW service) is right up in Mill Creek, thats about as local service as you can get. Hell, you can drive it right to Kurts house.

His turn around is fast, Shearwater support is legendary. Ask ANY, and I do mean ANY tec diver what comp they use, and prob 99% will be Shearwaters, and we dont use stuff that isnt supported or serviced well.

I'm not sure I've ever even heard a bad thing about SW support and service. ever...

I had one issue, and had my unit back in a week, and dropped it off right at Kurts house. All under warranty.

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

dphershman wrote:I talked at length with my LDS this morning about the Shearwater devices, I was told that the company isn't particularly responsive with support (even during the warranty period) and when the device is no longer in production there is no support whatsoever. Still, its priced at or below the major manufacturers products and is 'local'.

Anyone have direct experience with Shearwater customer support?

Dan
I'm sure several others will chime in directly that have specific experience. Everything I've heard is that service is amazing, absolutely the opposite of what you shared above. In fact, yours is the first negative report I've heard... although no company bats 100%, right?

Hmmmm.....

Does you LDS sell Shearwater? I hope so. If they are talking down a product they carry in favor of another that is cool. If they are talking down a product they don't carry vs one they do, it will come back to bite them, and is one of the few problems I have with some local shops. I get it. You need to stay in business, and you want to sell a customer something that you carry.... but... do it straight and people will strongly support you in the long run. Run others down and it will ultimately circle back at you.

Tons of good computers out there - this is a time of an embarrassment of riches. Good luck with your choice!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Tom Nic wrote: Does you LDS sell Shearwater? I hope so. If they are talking down a product they carry in favor of another that is cool. If they are talking down a product they don't carry vs one they do, it will come back to bite them, and is one of the few problems I have with some local shops.
To set the record straight, yes they sell the Shearwater but apparently not very many. The overall picture described was one of a small company that produces a good product but doesn't have the distribution level to allow for dealer and customer support that other larger makers have. They were perfectly ok with selling me one, but I'm going to do a bit more research this time around before springing $1000+ for a dive computer. In the meantime, my Atomic Cobalt was sent back for repair (again) and I'm back to using my 14 year old Oceanic Veo 250, which has reliably kept working as a backup all these years. Just wish the little hockey puck thing wasn't so hard to read!

thanks
Dan
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

With a shearwater, you'll rarely if even at all need support other than firmware updates.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I sent an unit to Kurt that I bought used, was well out of warranty. Was fixed for free in a week and sent back to me with a case. (I think it was the recalled battery spring issue, but not positive). I'm certain you will never get 1 week turnaround and free service on a Suunto. I had one years ago, it was fine for its era (2005)

I think your shop is full of crap. Pretty much every diver I know who's actually using a computer has a shearwater product, many more than one. I have 2 myself.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

I've had several dive computers over the years and have to say my Shearwater Petrel is the best I've ever owned. I've never had an issue with it and love the fact that the battery is a field replaceable single AA. As for their service, as I mentioned I've had no problems with the computer so no service necessary. There was a recall on the battery door of some of the earlier models of the Petrel and Shearwater was super responsive in getting replacements to their customers. They actually gave me 15 door replacement kits and told me to hand them out to anybody I knew that owned a Petrel.

Here's a rundown of what I've owned...
Oceanic Veo - Great little computer with no problems. I ended up flooding it after a battery replacement (user error)

Suunto Cobra 2 - My Cobra 2 was replaced 3 times under warranty, primarily for shutting down while on a dive

Suunto D4 - (watch style) Not a bad computer but the display is a bit small for my ageing eyes.

Liquivision Xen (now owned by Atomic) - Terrible dive computer with many issues. Search this forum if you're interested in details

Uwatec Aladin G2 - Great computer - I still keep it around as a backup and take it on warm water dive trips
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

btw, on the deco stop, theres a petrel 2 for 650$

johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Plus 1 on Shearwater. Had Cobalts (four of them) and had some problems. I've had Shearwaters for several years now, not a single problem. Can't recommend them enough.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

fmerkel wrote:Never had one but looking over your list of problems and outright failures I'd run away. Probably a Shearwater would serve you well.
I have to agree with Fritz...Run away!!!
I like my old Scuba Pro something... It has large numbers, easy to switch gases, easy to program...
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"