Help - Water gettin in Hollis wing

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
nv77
Frequent Bubbler

Help - Water gettin in Hollis wing

Post by nv77 »

I have a Hollis LX 38lb wing that doesn't seem to leak air, but after dives it has a lot of water in it (like 3 cups) . Does anyone have any ideas how it's getting in? It seems impossible to me.
Last edited by nv77 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: Help - Water gettin in Hollis wing

Post by fmerkel »

You press the button to let air out, some water goes in. Completely normal. Rinse it out, don't worry about it.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

How much is "a lot"?

A half cup is probably okay, it likely dribbles in when you're venting air out. A liter is not okay.
nv77
Frequent Bubbler

Post by nv77 »

It's about 3 cups
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Maybe think about how many times you dump air from your inflator on a dive. As Fritz said, it's normal. 3 cups is a lot if you are only dumping to descend and never using the wing again until you surface. But if you are using it for buoyancy at depth, involving dumping off and on, then you will of course have more water in the wing.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Might you need another pound or two of lead? I get water in my BCD when I dive so light that I am struggling to get the last of the air out.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Desert Diver wrote:Might you need another pound or two of lead? I get water in my BCD when I dive so light that I am struggling to get the last of the air out.
True.
Every time you push the exhaust button, you create a 'leak', air goes out (mostly) some water may go in. If you are really pumping the exhausts to dump then the leak is open a long time. The water doesn't hurt anything as long as you rinse it out, which should be a part of regular maintenance.
In the wing it's neutral buoyancy.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Desert Diver wrote:Might you need another pound or two of lead? I get water in my BCD when I dive so light that I am struggling to get the last of the air out.
+1
Trying to squeeze out the last drops of gas from the wing by continually venting is the number 1 way lots of water goes in.

If its not leaking air the water is going in from your habits
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.