Scuba mask for a narrow face + large nose combo?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
MariaT
Avid Diver

Scuba mask for a narrow face + large nose combo?

Post by MariaT »

So... I have these facial features :) I did 20+ dives in some mask that fit me fine and maybe leaked once. However, last month I began to work out and lost 9 lbs of 'bioprene'. That's great, except my yesterday dive went sour! The mask leaked at the bottom where I think I had some cheek padding before. No tightening or wiggling the mask around helped, and after several iterations of mask cleaning my eyes began to hurt from the ocean water, so that was it :crybaby:
Today I grabbed all the masks we had at home and went to the swimming pool for testing. My old mask now leaks badly and if I tighten it up more it hurts my forehead but does not nothing about the leak. The only mask that worked fine was a tiny yellow Cressi that my teenage stepdaughter used for OW cert but it was too small for her, so my 8 year old used it for snorkeling during last vacation! A kiddo's mask, really?! I am not a fan of a canary yellow, and he also wants his mask back sometime :) Anyway, I will use that mask for a few dives.
My question is: does anyone here has similarly shaped face, like their mask and can recommend it?
Thanks!!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Scuba mask for a narrow face + large nose combo?

Post by Gdog »

Good luck. You just have to try several for fit. I have the opposite problem, I have a big head. One thing I have found though is if I tighten the mask more than just slightly snug, it leaks. If it is just barely snug, I have no leaks. For whatever that's worth.
Gregp
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Gregp »

I have a fairly large nose and use a Deep Sea mask where the bridge on the nose is high - kind of like here: https://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-32/029 ... -Mask.html The one I use, I found on the ocean floor doing a dive off the coast of El Salvador.

My mask seals better after cleaning the soft silicone with normal toothpaste. It seems to make it more sticky.

When it comes to a mask - fit is everything and I've found cost usually has nothing to do with cost. Try on lots.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Not sure about the nose pocket, but I have found that scubapro masks seem to fit my narrow face well.

Most other brands are too wide and/or flat sealing for me.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.