Princeton Tec Scuba Lights

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Princeton Tec Scuba Lights

Post by Sounder »

So I've heard all the different opinions on hand-held versus canister, and have seen the difference. Yes, canister lights are the brightest by far... and you're getting what you pay for!!! I am getting a canister light, but had a chance to pick up some of the Princeton Tec lights, cheap. My brother works for REI and had a chance to pro-deal them. I got them all for less than $100. How could I say no?! :dontknow:

Impact XL - will be an excellent back-up or primary light in excellent vis. It feels good, is easily operated with gloves, good to 100 meters deep, has 50 hours of burn time from 4 AA batteries on it's 1 watt eLED. It's bright and the bulb won't burn out. Rated "Tester's Choice" and "Best Buy" by Scuba Diving Mag.

Shockwave LED - Sweeeeeeet. :supz: 8 C's power it for 20 hours or 12 hours on high power, it's also good to 100 meters. Very bright with triple bulbs each being 3-watt eLED's, easily handled with gloves and when wet, light weight (basically just the batteries). It's not a canister light, but has been rated "Tester's Choice" and "Best Buy" by SD magazine and it's sweet. You can find them on eBay for around $100... but mine was a lot cheaper than that!!! \:D/

Blast: Runs on 2 AAA's with a Xenon bulb... very bright for a tiny light. It makes another great back-up for that really bad situation or to lend to a buddy. It'd also clip onto a mask strap easily (that's what I'm going to try) - one on each side? Headlights!!! At $7 retail, it's a must have and good to 100 meters. In a perfect vacuum and in complete darkness, it shines 52 meters... that means you should get about 2 feet in the Sound (but that's enough to read gauges and signal the boat!). #-o

Other than that, I picked up their "Aqua Strobe" which is kind of fun - we'll see, but there's an argument to be made for it's use on a night time boat dive. Flashes for 8 hours on 1 AA and floats up-right in the water. Can easily be attached on a BC next to a whistle. Totally not necessary, but a boy can't have too many toys right?!

Anyway, I just thought I'd let folk's know I'm playing with LED's - if anyone would like to take 'em for a ride, let me know.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Sounds like you got a good light and a grate deal.

I am giving a canister light some real thought should have one myself in a month or so
I have decided to buy the one sold by the guys at Tacome Scuba
its called Green Force or some thing along these lines.

What I liked about this light the most is you can simply change the light head and you have like 5 or 6 options for lighting.
before you buy one stop in and ask Wallie or Brain to show you one
I am sure they would be glad to have you viset the shop.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Check out: http://www.scubadiving.com/scuba/gear (although today they've been doing maintence on it so be patient if it doesn't load) and look in the lights section. There is a review of a bunch of hand-held lights including the one you're talking about. Just check it out and do a side-by-side comparison in their chart. Look at brightness, burn time, cost, etc - they're not the only review site, and of course opinions are like assholes (everyone's got one), but it's something to consider and it's an independent review (that's not from a sales person) on lights including the one you're talking about.

Coming from a sales and marketing company, I can tell you - everyone can be #1 with all of their products... any good salesman can spin their product to be the best. Kickbacks and commissions are powerful things. I try to get multiple salesmen (from different shops) to give me their opinions as many times they know the most about the products, but then I'm also asking select divers that I know and trust and doing my own research too. That way you get an unbiased idea of what it's all about. Everyone will tell you what it will do, I want to know what it WON'T do when I'm buying stuff. Just a thought, although I'm sure your light is an excellent choice... and I think the reviewers liked your light too. Just check it out.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I've had both the Shockwave LED and the Impact XL. Good lights. The Shockwave has a lightly hotter color temperature (a little bluer) than the UK C8 eLED. I wrote a review of the C8 eLED vs. the Light Cannon a while back, you can read it here.

I'll be doing a review soon of the Princeton Tec lights :book:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I agree - they're both excellent lights. I'm looking forward to getting wet with them. I'd be happy to lend the Blast and the Aqua Strobe to you to include in your review too. I'd offer to write it but having nothing to compare it to along with only a handful of dives under my belt, I think I'll stick to buoyancy practice and being comfortable with my gear! I'd love to come along and dive with you while you test them all though!

I can't wait to get diving with some folks with experience! :prayer:

27 days and counting!!! :pale:
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

I have been using a Pelican SabreLite as my back up. It has been a great secondary. I picked it up at REI for less than $20 and have used it from everything from diving to camping. The light is virtually indestructible. It has a xenon bulb and is a bright focused beam. It’s rated to 500 feet and I think it was designed for fireman originally to go into a gas filled environment without risk of spark. It is twist on so no problems at depth also. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap solid backup light. You can get it in 2 or 3 C versions. As for primary currently using a Light Cannon but would love to get a Green Force or Salvo canister someday.