Hollis Wing Seems to Fill with Water

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
carlk3
Aquaphile

Hollis Wing Seems to Fill with Water

Post by carlk3 »

A Hollis Wing always seems to fill with a couple of gallons of water. This doesn't stop it from working, but does make it very heavy when leaving the water.

We've heard that a little water can come in whenever one uses the inflator, but we really don't think the inflator is being used very much.

Has any heard of this problem and/or suggest a cause?

Thanks,
Carl
dlh
Submariner

Re: Hollis Wing Seems to Fill with Water

Post by dlh »

I would start with buying a replacement inflater. About $15 from DGX. You can add a little air and but in in a tub of water to look for leaks. Pay close attention to the dump valve.
Dave
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Inflate it and submerse it in a tub, that should tell you pretty quickly where it's coming from.

Did you check where the inflation elbow meets the wing? If that's loose could be leaking. There is a rubber gasket under the elbow, if that's missing or the nut is loose it could be flooding the wing. Could also be debris in the butt dump, or in the power inflator. Wing's are pretty simple, only so many things it could be. When you find the leak let us know.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Just checked the still functioning butt dump on a Halcyon. Still holding air, but 20+ years old. The rubber seal was rotting away. Would not have lasted much longer. Likely would have leaked before it completely went bad.
Easy to replace. Had a spare.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
carlk3
Aquaphile

Post by carlk3 »

Thanks for the useful ideas of things to check.