Black Lights

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
TCWestby
Submariner

Black Lights

Post by TCWestby »

Has anyone used black lights under water? I'm wondering if they would bring out any colors that you don't normally see?
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Dave DeJong is working on one. He's building it to be switchable between various light frequencies to see geologic... uh... stuff. :dontknow:

After what I know about lasers and dogfish, I'm looking forward to seeing what other light wavelengths do! \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:After what I know about lasers and dogfish, I'm looking forward to seeing what other light wavelengths do! \:D/
What happens with lasers and dogfish? Sounds like fun! :bounce:
Last edited by scottsax on Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:Dave DeJong is working on one. He's building it to be switchable between various light frequencies to see geologic... uh... stuff. :dontknow:

After what I know about lasers and dogfish, I'm looking forward to seeing what other light wavelengths do! \:D/
Dude... maybe blacklights attract six gills! :bounce: Uh... I guess that would be cool... :pale: depends on what kind of mood it puts them in! :rr:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Lets test it next year at the group dive. We can bring the camera's so we can document all the carnage.
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Charles
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

One of my dive buddies in Roatan had a black light that brought out some cool alien glowing green in a few of the corals and sponges. I haven't seen one used around here, though. Ooh, I wonder what white-lined dironas look like under black light?
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

i use a special "moon light " in my reef tank, its a 410nm frequency, its timed to come on when the halide shuts off and my corals glow nuclear like. and it look very cool at night with no room lights on. it does look like a black light just not sure if there frequency. i bet the white anenomes would look cool.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I'm smelling a NWDC outing, complete with VW Vans and Tie-Dyed T's all around ! :rr: \:D/
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

This place sells MR16 style LED blacklight bulbs. I'll donate the use of my canlight 1.0 if somebody wants to buy a bulb and try it.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Jake
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

A quick look couldn't find the blacklight LED bulb. What's the cost and or the link?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Here you go - http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/mr16_5mmLED.htm

Looks like $14.95 plus $5.00 shipping. Not too bad.
Chris
Avid Diver

Post by Chris »

Tom Nic wrote:I'm smelling a NWDC outing, complete with VW Vans and Tie-Dyed T's all around ! :rr: \:D/
:partyman: :-({|= :supz: \:D/ =D> :bootyshake: :la: :bounce:
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Sweet, now we don't need to use glow sticks during a night dive! Just paint our tanks with Woolite and use black lights! Yeah Baby! :partyman:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Chris
Avid Diver

Post by Chris »

Seth T. wrote:Sweet, now we don't need to use glow sticks during a night dive! Just paint our tanks with Woolite and use black lights! Yeah Baby! :partyman:
I could see all sorts of weird things happening now.

"I just saw a glow in the dark skeleton float by!"
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Chris wrote:I could see all sorts of weird things happening now.
a velvet elvis on my wetsuit would be pretty awesome.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

spatman wrote:
Chris wrote:I could see all sorts of weird things happening now.
a velvet elvis on my wetsuit would be pretty awesome.
Yes, but is it DIR? :supz:

...maybe if he's dressed in black. :rr:
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

What do lazers do to rat fish???
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

Burntchef,
The black light might not be that great of an Idea on anemones. Local species are highly sensitive to UV radiation, and some can suntan (so you'll loose the pretty pure white color). This is part of the reason the Pulmous anemone is usually found subtidal, it has less of an ability to deal with the radiation.
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Is that why some of the ones look kind of brown?
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Nwbrewer wrote:Is that why some of the ones look kind of brown?
Nope, those are the rare Milk Chocolate Anemones! :bootyshake: \:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

lol, chocalate milk anemones.... umm, it's hard to say, both Metridium farcimen (plumous anemone) and m. senile (smaller cousin) have color phenotypes, so it could be a brown individual. It's really hard to differentiate b/w tanning and just coloration. It's unlikely that a white will go totally brown, they will more likely just move to a shaded location. Some do develope pinto coloring though (but again, this can also be a genetic body patern). They will get tan lines though, so if they are in a clump, you can look at the shaded parts and see a difference in colors. This is best observed on docks.
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

The black light is VERY COOL!! It really brings out the yellows, greens and reds on a night dive. I have a black light bulb (not to be confused with the blue lights that we have in front of our Peter Max posters) on the fluorescent side of my mini-C fluorescent so I have both a standard light and the black light. The dang bulbs are expensive though ... $8.95!