Seeing more doubles....

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Seeing more doubles....

Post by Dave »

Hey Calvin check these out. I contacted Warren and he still has them although a few tire kickers are checking em out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

What do you guys think???
Current Hydro and VIs pressed steel 95's with isolation valve, bands,,,they look pretty sweet to me!!!
:occasion5:
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I hate to say it, but they're just too...ugly. :dontknow:

I'm definitely down to get some new toys, if Doug would ever help me out! :bounce:
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

UGLY!!!! OMG they are beautiful, no rust worries with that finish!!! And a really reasonable deal. O.k. maybe not sheik beautiful but definitely functional beautiful... ](*,)
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

You could always dress them up with a pair of boots and some pretty webbing??? :partyman:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

If you know me at all you know that I'm totally into "sheik beautiful" gear.
:rr:
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

mmmmm, this is true but I still like the dress up idea....a little make-up (boots n webbing) can make a big difference,,,we all know this all too well I am sure... :prayer:
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

Now these babies mean business. The galvanization is a really good feature, prevents rusting nicely.
If you don't like the color, you can allways get a can of black spraypaint. :rr:

.J

ps. leave the dress ups to a some dungeon party or so ;)
Last edited by da_jab on Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Here, Here J, these tanks rock Calvin, I'm tellin ya!!
:partyman:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Dave, what size are your tanks? I think I only need some steel 80's, isn't that what J. Salter has? I'm sorry but those tanks are just too Mad Maxx for me. I appreciate you helping me find some twins though. Well, I guess you have some incentive since you won't have anyone to dive with till you outfit a buddy!

Hey, my buddy got this treatment done to the bed of his jeep. Its this spray that makes any metal almost indestructible and totally scratchproof. They've sprayed cinder blocks with it and tossed them off buildings and they just bounce. I'm wondering if you could spray a thin layer on a tank for protection. So much better than the "pretty webbing" that reminds me of fishnet stockings for a tank. The spray is also transparent. The only thing I wonder is if it would be hard to slip a tankstrap over it, which isn't an issue if you have banded doubles I guess. \:D/
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

I have LP 98's,(same as 95's but stamped 98 cu ft) and I know Jeff has a set of 80's and I think he has a set of 100's or so also...I would contact a cylinder manufacturer on their coating,,,as long as it doesn't cover the stamped markings seems cool to me, maybe a need to be concerned of reactions between material????
Yeah I need a doubles buddy so I can actually benefit from them, may be why Jeff constantly goes solo????
da_jab
Aquaphile

About tank sizes

Post by da_jab »

Morgen,

one note about the tank sizes. When you guys are forming a dive team, which you pretty much are doing, I'd suggest that you get the same size of tanks for each member of the team, double 80's maybe, they have plenty of gas. Why? It makes planning your dives much easier and safer, less hassle. Also it makes borrowing your buddies tanks for a weekends trip much nicer and you don't need to figure out again how much weight you need, how much gas you have etc.

While this may not apply that much for nice shallow shore dives, but when you are starting to have more than 100ft of water above your head and some deco time on your plan, it's nice to know that your team has gas enough to get you all back alive.

.Janne

ps. I'll be getting some serious gear today... :rr:
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: About tank sizes

Post by Tangfish »

da_jab wrote: when you are starting to have more than 100ft of water above your head and some deco time on your plan, it's nice to know that your team has gas enough to get you all back alive.
I would say that this is some pretty solid advice :supz:
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Roger that !!! I won't elaborate on our last dive to 151' with a single 95 and a 30 cu. ' pony,,,,ahemmmm, good advice J. If we all at least go doubles I'll be thrilled....
:-({|=
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Talked with Doug today and he has a couple of spankin new steel 80's for about 8 bones with tax.....Calvin you still heading to double land ???

=D>
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

doug already told me about em, i gotta go see em in person, this means new bc and everything so any suggestions there? halcyon plate and wings?!
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

from what I've read you can't go wrong with halcyon, I kind of like the OMS stuff too....I would try em on, see what feels good and take the plunge (oun untended),,,it's getting late I better get ready for our dive,,,see ya in a few Calvin..
\:D/
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

Almost anything goes in terms of the brand. Halcyon, DiveRite, Agir, OMS, they all have the same type of backplates and wings available. One thing to keep in mind is the size of the wing you are going to get, ie. bigger (heavier) the tanks the bigger the wing. I have a 38lbs wing for doubles and it's just right for small doubles, like 80's. The Single wing I had today is 36lbs.

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Dave wrote:Talked with Doug today and he has a couple of spankin new steel 80's for about 8 bones with tax.....Calvin you still heading to double land ???

=D>
is that set up or just the tanks alone??
Who run barter town?
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

That is just the tanks but Calvin talked with him and i guess he misquoted and it was more reasonable. I guess they are a small hard to come by HP pressed steel 80 ??? Anyway I am pretty sure the Calvintor is on 'em...
=D>
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I hope so 400 apiece seems real steep.. check uw sports in everett...
Who run barter town?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

while where on the subject about doubles. I have been slowly putting together a set my self. I have lp98s with a scubapro rec/tec bc with a 53lb wing I still needed to get a manifold bar and a back plate.
Who run barter town?
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

Hmm...you get a really good set of doubles for about 600$ in europe, so they should be much cheaper.

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

I dove for the first time tonight with my doubles (Faber LP 98's) with no back plate,,,,SUPER!!!! 101' 53 minutes and surfaced with a solid 2000lbs!!! Didn't notice any slop or sway??? dropped 10 lbs and seems like I can drop at least a couple more, I'll give it whirl on Saturday!!! Sure will be nice when more of us double up!!!
:partyman:
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Sorry J, I got sidetracked and just realized I didn't respond,,,,I am thinking you are shopping around pretty well to find a good set of doubles for $600 with tanks , bands, and manifold???? but they are definitely out there.... :bounce:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Mike at hoodsportndive would be the guy to talk to there he can tell you what to expect to pay and what would be to much.

Diver down :
I have a Dive Right Al Back Plate and a STA ( single Tank Adaptor ) needs tank straps and a wing yet but I would be willing to make a NW Dive Club Member deal.

Im letting Dave try it Saturday with his doubles so I will be bringing it to the Canal on Saturday any how.

I bought them and then decided I would go with the Trans Pack
now I find I dont need the Plate and STA

we can talk Saturday
Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him