? gloves/boots - 3mm/5mm/7mm ?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

? gloves/boots - 3mm/5mm/7mm ?

Post by thelawgoddess »

for my upcoming scuba diver course, i am looking to get my "personal gear" package. i'm trying to decide if 5mm is fine for boots and gloves or if i might want to get 7mm boots or 3mm gloves. i get very cold very easy, but i'd like to be able to use them year-round if possible. (or do you find that eventually you end up with more than one pair for different water temps?)

i think that 7mm gloves would be too thick, but what about 5mm ones? also, for those of you that have 7mm boots, do you ever get too hot in your 7mm? or if i went with 5mm boots and found them a bit chilly at times, how easy is it to "layer" to increase the warmth?

any input is appreciated! :-)
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I would say wait untill after your initial training to purchase your Suit, Gloves & boots. just go ahead and rent for now, You may find you will prefer a Drysuit system to keep yourself warm. Yes , it can be a bit pricey but you should be able to find a good deal at the up and comming "Divers Fair" Although the more you can purchase as a packaged deal the better discount you will recieve. I have Purchased a used Dry Suit from Craigslist and have been very happy with it. Look around and keep askin'
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

well, the gloves and boots are required for the class and from my research it is much cheaper to buy the whole package (mask, fins, snorkel, gloves, boots) than to buy items separately. i have scoured craigslist and ebay (and other places) for used gear but i haven't found anything suitable (or when i have it was already gone). i already have a few packages i am trying to decide between; i'm just trying to decide on a few of the details - like boot and glove thickness. even if i "upgrade" to a dry suit later, i can imagine there will be times when i will want to dive wetsuit and having the boots and gloves will still be useful. the wetsuit rental is included with the class, so i will definitely hold off on that ...

also, which diver's fair are you referring to and is it likely i will be able to find items my size? (i need things very, very small!)
my FLICKR photo sets
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hey, maybe newbies CAN give worthwhile advice?!? [-X

I purchased a perscription mask before my initial certification, and diving being such a visual sport I'm glad I did!

Other than that, unless you REALLY know the direction your diving will be taking I would really echo Bassman's thoughts of renting ALL your gear and purchasing even "little" stuff later. (package deals are your friend!!)

I've discovered that this sport can nickle and dime you to death... ](*,) just ask all the guys with 3 pairs of gloves, 8 masks, 3 sets of fins, etc.

Of course if you're independently wealthy, buy away!! :partyman:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Ooopppsss... Of course if they are required... Oh well, at least they are sort of cheap.... I beleive standard gloves are 5mm? I know a couple of gals who wear inserts, and the ones that get cold really easy use dry gloves with their dry suit!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Underwater Sports in Seattle http://www.underwatersports.com/ has their "Diver's Fair July 28- 30, and there are usually some good deals.

I'm sure other Dive Shops in the area have annual sales as well that I'm not aware of and other folks on the board could weigh in there?

I have seen lots of small sizes (maybe because I'm always looking for HUGE sizes!) ](*,)
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

yeah; my class starts july 10th, so that's too late. i think there's one in lynnwood at lighthouse soon but not sure how much they will have to offer ... anyone been to that one in the past? i just looked and it is this weekend so maybe i should hold off until then at least.
my FLICKR photo sets
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'd like to chime in quickly:

In addition to the thickness of the neoprene material, the most important factors are fit and the # of seams. If the glove doesn't fit right, it doesn't matter how thick it is since you'll have water exchange making you cold. I bring up seams because there are some newer gloves hitting the market right now that are thinner than traditional but the seams don't go all the way through to the hand. This means that you will have very little water exchange and you'll stay warmer. I haven't used them but you should call Doug at BUWS and ask him about it. 425-454-5168

All else being equal, I'd go for the 7mm if you get cold easily, 5mm if you can get your hands on (or in) some of the gloves I've described. 3mm is too thin for around here, IMHO.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i was wondering about that newer material. i was looking at the henderson gold core and the henderson instradry. there are more reviews for the gold core, but i know that's just because it's been around longer. the instradry is intriguing and looks like it is a lot thinner, which i'm sure will be noticeable (and likely better) when using gloves.

i really appreciate everyone's input so far! i will confess that i am a bit of a gearhead, so you can rest-assured that i am researching "the shit" out of everything. ;-)
my FLICKR photo sets
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

I dive a 5 mm Henderson Titanium Glove and a 7 mm Oneill Firewall boot and am just fine. I know divers in the sound that wear Mechanix gloves (i.e virtually no insulation). Typically, it is not your hands that make you cold per se, it is your torso and lower extremities.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I have a Henderson Gold Core Hood, 7mm/5mm, and it is great!
Thinkin' about getting the gloves someday!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

snorkels and things

Post by thelawgoddess »

Sounder wrote:Cheers my fellow gear-head research-whore!!! :partyman:
wow; i've been called some things ... but never a whore. thanks! :bootyshake:

yeah; i'd be glad to hear more input on gear. i've had my heart set on the bio-fins for over a year, so you'd be hell-bent to change my mind there, but i haven't made a firm decision on the mask. i got some good info on how it should fit, but i wanted to get one now (particularly if ordering online) so i could take it to the pool and give it a wet run as well. i figure that if i'm getting a package deal, there isn't much room for choice unless i call and try to work in another, but i certainly don't have enough info to go on to know which one(s) i really want. anybody here ever used the apollo bio-metal mask? i haven't seen it in any of the shops so i don't have any self-gathered tangible info to compare it to the others i have seen.

oh ... and how about the snorkel? is it even really that important? (i mean, in terms of what kind to get; i know it's important to have one!)

ps - yay; i like you guys - you are all very helpful and not trying to bite my head off for asking newbie questions! =D>
my FLICKR photo sets
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

gear sales and such

Post by thelawgoddess »

Tom Nic wrote:Underwater Sports in Seattle http://www.underwatersports.com/ has their "Diver's Fair July 28- 30, and there are usually some good deals.

I'm sure other Dive Shops in the area have annual sales as well that I'm not aware of and other folks on the board could weigh in there?
btw, lighthouse has theirs this weekend - a flyer via:
http://www.lighthousediving.com/scubafest/index.html ...
and they have some of their sale prices for items listed there.
my FLICKR photo sets
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Sounder wrote:Of course I mean that in the BEST way possible (I'm the worst!) - you can't have too much information! \:D/

The snorkle isn't very important - get one that is hollow so you can breathe through it. =D>

I haven't tried them but I hear bio fins are awesome from many people. I think I'm getting my fiance some. Personally I use jets with springs. On newbie questions - I'm the worst!!! I've asked LOTS of newbie questions and everyone here is really great about answering them. It's really true - the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

On the mask - fit is key. The best mask in the world for me might be completely wrong for you. Masks are mass-produced and one-size doesn't fit all. I would recommend getting your mask from the dive shop, especially if they'll let you try it out and bring it back until you find one that works... IN the water! If it leaks, it's going to suck - no matter how "perfect and great" it is. Facial hair is another consideration (obviously not for you) - enter the "scuba-stache!"

I think it's great that you're researching so much - it really helped me make the best decision and figure out what was right for me and my diving style. I'm still reading and collecting opinions - when the UWS sale comes up I'll know exactly what I'm buying!!!
sweet! i wish the uw sports sale was sooner - they carry a lot of really good gear. if i went local for a package i would probably go with them, but the online packages just have that little bit more (and no tax) that even with shipping still makes them a better deal financially. the real benefit i see to the local shop is that you can likely make your returns or switches faster. but i've ordered other sports gear online and its all the same. (pluses and minuses, i mean.)

i got lots of good info on what to look for in mask fit during my local shop visits - the only thing i haven't done is try any on in the water.

that's what i thought about the snorkel. good to hear an echo on that.

doesn't look like lighthouse carries the lines i'm interested in - at least not from their website. last time i was in there i couldn't figure out why none of the masks fit until i figured out your nose went INSIDE it. (that's how we skiers wear them, you know!) boy was i glad i figured that out on my own before anybody saw me or i had to ask! sometimes, well ... my brain doesn't work as great as it's supposed to. ;-)
my FLICKR photo sets
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Sounder wrote:Good looking out! When do you start your class?! :rr:
july 10th - can't wait! :supz:
my FLICKR photo sets
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: gear sales and such

Post by Pez7378 »

thelawgoddess wrote:btw, lighthouse has theirs this weekend - a flyer via:http://www.lighthousediving.com/scubafest/index.html ...
and they have some of their sale prices for items listed there.
OMG I just spent all my money on a DRYSUIT!!!! ](*,) Guess I'll have to save a ton before Divers Fair. :supz: In the meantime I may just go and hang out. Maybe win a door prize.

TLG go as warm as you can stand. If I remember correctly just hanging out in the heated pool got a bit chilly at times. Except for the 10 min. of treading water. Who knew you could sweat...in WATER??!!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

so, after more research and much dilly-dallying i finally got my personal gear. *YAY* i ended up going with 5mm for the boots and gloves ... and buying them locally. i'm looking forward to trying everything out next week ... and learning about what more i'll need to buy once my checking account has recovered from the current damage. :evil4:
my FLICKR photo sets
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Inserts for gloves?

Post by Tubesnout23 »

Tom Nic wrote:Ooopppsss... Of course if they are required... Oh well, at least they are sort of cheap.... I beleive standard gloves are 5mm? I know a couple of gals who wear inserts, and the ones that get cold really easy use dry gloves with their dry suit!
What kind of inserts are you talking about?

I wear a smi-dry suit (Scuba Pro Nova Scotia + Pinnacle Torso Heater)) with my gloves, neoprene socks and boots. Unfortunately more water goes in and out of my gloves and boots than in my suit and I am wondering if there is anything else I can add to keep my fingers and toes warmer.

Cheers
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: ? gloves/boots - 3mm/5mm/7mm ?

Post by Sounder »

"Holy ancient thread, Batman!!"
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Yeah; no kidding!

The funny thing is ... I have since moved on to dry gloves! :supz:

(And I have no idea what the "inserts" are mentioned above. :dontknow: )
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Not only that but bringing back this ol thread also brought back none other than the LawGoddess herself! =D>
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

thelawgoddess wrote:Yeah; no kidding!

The funny thing is ... I have since moved on to dry gloves! :supz:

(And I have no idea what the "inserts" are mentioned above. :dontknow: )
Holy! Where have you been?