drysuit advice needed

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
spatman
I've Got Gills

drysuit advice needed

Post by spatman »

hi folks

i'm starting to look for an inexpensive but decent drysuit. given my budget, probably something used, but maybe new if the price is right.

what i really don't want to do is buy a lemon and regret it. since i have zero experience with drysuits, i was wondering if any of you had some advice on which manufacturers to avoid due to any bad experiences with their products.

thanks for your help.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

What Size?

I'm cleaning out my closets this month.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Dmitchell wrote:What Size?

I'm cleaning out my closets this month.

Dave
not sure what size, but i'm 6', ~190lbs, 36 in waist (on a good day), size 11 shoe...

i can get other measurements to you if needed.

thanks!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I saw a DUI cf200 on craigs list the other day for $600, a screaming deal. You might go to the DUI site and print their measurments directions so you have a idea of what size. http://www.dui-online.com/
Charles
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Aquanautchuck wrote:I saw a DUI cf200 on craigs list the other day for $600, a screaming deal. You might go to the DUI site and print their measurments directions so you have a idea of what size. http://www.dui-online.com/
thanks for the tip. i downloaded the sizing chart, but don't see the craigslist ad you mention. if you find it again, can you PM it to me? thanks.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

What is your budget?

My experience with drysuits is that you get what you pay for. If you want a cheap drysuit, you will have problems with it.

There are all kinds of preferences on drysuits and what is right for me, will not be right for you. Most of the manufacturers of drysuits make good suits, but there can be lemons, even with the best suits. Get a suit with a good warrenty and if you do have problems, they will fix it.
Last edited by Pinkpadigal on Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Pinkpadigal wrote:What is your budget?
well, i'm still trying to accrue some scuba units, but i'm hoping for something around $500. less is better, more... maybe.

is a decent $4-500 drysuit a pipedream?
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

spatman wrote:
well, i'm still trying to accrue some scuba units, but i'm hoping for something around $500. less is better, more... maybe.

New...yes. Most new suits that I would recommend are going to start over $1000.

You might be able to pick one up used in that price range.
Amy Rhodes
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

spatman wrote:

not realy its mostly luck and you willing to shop around a little i bought mine for $350.00 actuly I have two I paid that for each of them

so shop around sadly I have to replace the zipper on one of them but the other is in grate shape

I have a bare and a USIA and love both

Good Luck

by the way being in the Portland Area you may be able to rent one and try it out befor you buy check in to that

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

You do get what you pay for, but unless you have a huge need (crazy frequent diving, or commercial, or...) I'm personally not sure that a $2,000 dry suit is twice as good as a 1,000 dry suit. It can be dangerous to buy used... caveat emptor and all that... unless you know what you're doing. Helps if you have a good shop that will stand behind what they sell.

I've heard good things about the Apollo neoprene suit that UWS and others carry from several different people that dive them. It typically retails for around 900 but you might find a better deal than that. You have the advantage of being able to most likely use a stock size. I needed custom and wanted tri-lam for the toughness so I went with a USIA.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Pinkpadigal wrote:
spatman wrote:is a decent $4-500 drysuit a pipedream?
New...yes. Most new suits that I would recommend are going to start over $1000.

You might be able to pick one up used in that price range.
i pretty much figured it was going to be a used one. i'm really hoping for one of the used-twice-and-stored-for-a-few-years kind, but we'll see...

Sparky wrote:by the way being in the Portland Area you may be able to rent one and try it out befor you buy check in to that
i've called around and it seems that a rental is $75 a day. that will eat into my scuba savings a bit if i try out a few kinds. but you're right, it may best to try out a few first and buy later on. i'm just eager to get in the water!!!
Tom Nic wrote:It can be dangerous to buy used... caveat emptor and all that... unless you know what you're doing. Helps if you have a good shop that will stand behind what they sell.
yes, buyer beware, for sure. i am willing to take a bit of a gamble, but will definitely take the suit to a shop for an inspection and repair, if necessary. if i can get a couple years out of it, i'll be thrilled.
Last edited by spatman on Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

I have an apollo drysuit and love it. dives like a wetsuit, maybe even a little more flexible, since it isn't skin tight and grabbing me everywhere. Simple and solid. A friend of mine got a BARE suit with the undergarment for around 5 or 600, and likes it a lot. If you shop around, you could prolly find an apollo for under 900. Good luck and I hope you find the right suit! Definitely recommend trying them on, and if possible, getting in the water with it.
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

I bought mine used,and it leaked.....almost always, if I only did one dive it was annoying but I couldn't do 2 or more. If I were to do it again, I would save up and buy a new one...maybe a bare's, they start around 800 I think. you'll probably need to replace the seals, and if the zipper goes, that's a big chunk of money.
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Spatman, here is the link to the craig listing I saw this week. This sounds and looks like a scream ass deal. I have the same suit I bought new for over 20 scuba units.

http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/spo/450247102.html
Charles
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Aquanautchuck wrote:Spatman, here is the link to the craig listing I saw this week. This sounds and looks like a scream ass deal. I have the same suit I bought new for over 20 scuba units.

http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/spo/450247102.html
thanks for the link, charles. i do remember seeing that one, but unfortunately, it's a medium and i'm more in the large to large-tall range in DUI suits.
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

I bought a dui 350 for $300 off ebay
13 alaskan urchin holes...no problem
tiny boots for my little feet...$100
3 new seals...$100
new zipper after 20 dives...$450

I now have a great colored dui for $950...yeah me
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

thanks, everyone for your input so far. i'm still keeping my eye out for a great-deal-on-a-hardly-used suit, but i'm now leaning more towards freezing my butt off for a little longer and saving more towards a new one.

i've read a couple reviews of the o'neill 7000 (of which calvin's was very helpful), and have seen favorable mentions of the Bare Nex Gen as well. i'm thinking that either one might be a good starter for me.

but when...
Pinkpadigal wrote:Most new suits that I would recommend are going to start over $1000.
... it had me wondering if there was a much larger return for an investment of a couple hundred more.

so i ask you, dear readers, is there a significant difference in an $800 suit vs an $1100 suit? is there a noticable jump in quality at a certain price point?
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Here is my 2 cents. Dive wet till you are able to buy the best quality suit you can. Here is my very sad story.

Bought new wet suit when certified. 4 1/2 scuba units. Froze in it.

My instructor used a Viking/Gates dry suit. Buy one for 20 scuba units (included thermal) Still got cold, dry suit had no thermal protection later find out my instructor can be in cold water all day and not get cold. Use for 100 dives and buy:

Harvey 7 mill neoprene suit for 5 scuba units. (Since I was a DM at the shop they sold me the 2 year old floor model at cheap) Lot warmer, sold on neoprene but then got cold because of the rolled neck seal burping every time I turned around looking for students. (They are always behind and above you right) Used for 50 dives and sold on EBay for 1 1/5 scuba units.

Finally buy the best. DUI cf 200 new for 18 scuba units. Love this suit and will never use another.

So, total costs: 47.5 scuba units. ](*,) ](*,) #-o :crybaby:

Note: I rented and tried several other brands in between.

Save your money up and buy the best you can. As you can see in my case it would of been cheaper for me in the long run.
Charles
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

The cheaper suits are what I call, rack suits. They come off the rack and you can not change the boots, seals, etc. If you can find one that fits perfectly, then a $900 will be OK. It has been my personal experience that they just don't last.

Save your money and buy a new suit with a good warrenty. There are a lot of great suits out there between $1200-1800, and they include the undergarment, hood, etc. Look for a good warrenty and make sure it fits properly or don't buy it.

Think about how you are going to dive. How often do you dive? Where do you dive? Do you take photos, or teach? How long is your average dive? How deep do you go? Technical or recreational? All of these decisions go into which suit is right for you.

If you can try before you buy, that would be a great option.
Amy Rhodes
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Pinkpadigal wrote:Think about how you are going to dive. How often do you dive? Where do you dive? Do you take photos, or teach? How long is your average dive? How deep do you go? Technical or recreational? All of these decisions go into which suit is right for you.
this is where it gets a little over my head (pun intended \:D/ ). i'm so new at this that although i know the answers to these questions, i don't know how it should determine my purchase.

answers: i currently dive 1-2 times a month. when i finally have my own gear i hope to bump that to at least 2x but maybe up to 4 or more, work schedule permitting.

i dive salt water mostly (puget sound, hood canal, oregon coast and BC eventually), but am definitely interested in some fresh water as well.

i do take photos, and someday hope to teach.

my average dives lately have been about 45 minutes, but i would like to extended that (when i buy my own tanks) to over 60 if possible.

my dives are usually in the 40'-70' range, occasionally a little deeper. as my skills and comfort progress, i may extend that range down to around 100', possibly more.

and right now, recreational diving only. maybe many years from now i'll consider technical diving, but i don't think i'll be basing this drysuit purchase on tec diving.

thanks for your help. i'll be starting up my drysuit fund bakesale soon...
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

I got my BARE a few months ago and love it. I purchased from DIVETANK.COM and they got me a great deal... take a look...
Fortes fortuna iuvat
Seth T.
Amphibian

Re: drysuit advice needed

Post by Seth T. »

spatman wrote:hi folks

i'm starting to look for an inexpensive but decent drysuit. given my budget, probably something used, but maybe new if the price is right.
Have you checked on Craigslist? There are dozens of drysuits on there. My buddy (VMac here on the board) is picking one up for $100 tomorrow. If it actually holds air, it just may be the deal of the century. \:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: drysuit advice needed

Post by spatman »

Seth T. wrote:Have you checked on Craigslist? There are dozens of drysuits on there.
i sure have. i've got rss feeds from seattle down to the sf bay area bookmarked. check 'em everytime i see a new post. the right one just hasn't come up yet...

i'm meeting penopolypants this weekend, and may be coming home with a suit of my own. stay tuned...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

UPDATE:

thanks to Penopolypants, i now have a drysuit!! woo-hoo!! :prayer: :supz:

i really appreciate everyone's help and advice. i'm hoping to someday "pay it forward", like Penopoly said and did for me.

:salute:
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

spatman wrote:UPDATE:

thanks to Penopolypants, i now have a drysuit!! woo-hoo!! :prayer: :supz:

i really appreciate everyone's help and advice. i'm hoping to someday "pay it forward", like Penopoly said and did for me.

:salute:
Dang: Dont just sit there and admire it........WHAT DID YOU GET!!!!
Charles