THAT"S IT!!! new tank time

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yeah, well put- what's the point of carrying just enough gas to do a dive? I like having way more than I need. Its like having a car whose breaks will be juuuuust enough to make it stop from the fastest anticipated speed, or something..... Carry the biggest freaking tank(s) you can reasonably be comfortable wearing.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
SwimmerTodd
Just Settling In

Post by SwimmerTodd »

I switched recently up to a 119 and find that it is almost and exponential difference in my dive... Because I end up nowhere even close to running out of air, I breathe slower because I'm relaxed. Because I'm relaxed, my air lasts even longer. I would like to add a thought on the nitrox - If your style of diving is to go deeper and that is why you're getting a bigger tank, nitrox isn't the way to go. You really don't want to go over 100 feet with nitrox because of the oxygen levels.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

SwimmerTodd wrote: I would like to add a thought on the nitrox - If your style of diving is to go deeper and that is why you're getting a bigger tank, nitrox isn't the way to go. You really don't want to go over 100 feet with nitrox because of the oxygen levels.
That's not exactly right Todd. You should be picking the best mix for the dive you are going to be doing. Standard mixes of 36 or 32 are limited to 95/111 feet to keep below a PPO2 of 1.4, but a 28% mix will get you down to 132fsw, the limit of recreational depth and will give you some extra bottom time over air, or you can dive it to that depth on an air NDL to give yourself a little extra safety margin. Stating that you don't want to go deeper than 100fsw on nitrox is a little misleading.

I know there are lots of folks here who lprefer a little helium in there mix below 100fsw however. \:D/

Jake
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

I am a 5'1" tall woman. I LOVE my HP 119's !!!
I also own 2 HP 80's nice little tanks. They are joining as we speak.
I do weight more than 100 lbs. But lets be honest... HP 119's are big heavy tanks.

I have to agree with the guys here.
Go as big as you are comfortable carrying.

I don't NEED all the air in my HP 119!! I WANT all the air it gives me.

Do I breath like a hoover? NO !!!
Do I dive with buddies who are Hoovers?? Not often...

So why do I want the extra air???
BECAUSE I NEVER KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN on a dive.

I have dove with divers who panic underwater..
Who don't stay at the max depth discussed before the dive.
Who I have had to chase the entire dive.
The list goes on....

When I know that I have more than enough air for ME on the dive.
I am more relaxed ~ breathing rate is better ~ dive is more enjoyable.
My overall comfort level is improved.

Buy the tank that will work for you... Not having to rent everytime you want to dive is a great benefit.
Fill it with air now... get it cleaned and use it for Nitrox later.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

I just bought my first steels: Faber HP100s. Wow, what a difference compared to my beloved AL80s! Not only did I drop 6 pounds off my belt, the air is virtually endless! \:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I know several women who own and prefer HP130s for their single tanks. Then you see the gals with their twinned 100s and 119s who don't weigh 130lbs. soaking wet. The weight has to go somewhere, and lead doesn't hold any gas... steel does! \:D/

Someone on this board shared a saying with me that when you're diving "you're only 1 breath away from death." It makes a lot of sense.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!