Underwater Beacons/Communication Systems

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
kjc
Aquaphile

Underwater Beacons/Communication Systems

Post by kjc »

So far, I have been able to find these links;

http://www.desertstar.com

http://www.utc.co.il/

I was referred to this one by Dave, (thanks Dave!);

http://www.rjeint.com

The one from UTC was interesting, it would allow underwater text messaging!

The ones from DesertStar are more along the lines of what I was thinking regarding diver equipment locator beacons.

The RJeint ones seem to be a bit more commercial.

Does anyone have any more connections, links or knowledge of underwater communication - beacon equipment?

Thanks,

Kevin
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Try this UCD (Underwater Communication Device). It works and it's much cheaper than those fancy doo-dads:

Underwater Communication Device
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I found a desertstar scout transmitter once. I sold it to someone on ebay who had also lost one.

Since more than one person has obviously had them fall off of their treasures, I question how much you'd wanna use one for critical navigation or marking. Above and beyond the whole electronics in saltwater issue, a reel is alot more reliable IMO.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sea of Green wrote:Try this UCD (Underwater Communication Device). It works and it's much cheaper than those fancy doo-dads:

Underwater Communication Device

Good stuff. I don't know if my skillset is up to it, but maybe someday....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
kjc
Aquaphile

Veeery Funny....

Post by kjc »

First of all...

Greg!

Your phone is ringing, and its in your POCKET!!!

Ha ha ha! (Private joke!)

Second of all....

Lil'le Ricky,

I wasn't planning on using such a device as a replacement for a reel. A reel has its place....

I was intending to be able to find things under water that accidentally go overboard! There are a lot of applications for things like that.

The Desertstar product was interesting to me in that you could get multiple transponders and use one receiver to find them all.

It would be good insurance on a kayak dive to attach a transponder to everyone's kit. Incase someone rolls over in some boaters wake, the kit could be easily found as an example if for some reason they didn't lash their kit down all that well and their BC/wing deflated slowly over time over the course of the paddle. It might not be such a bad idea for gear you haul in your boat either....

The texting one was interesting too! That could potentially do away with a full face mask and communication kit, for situations like when you can't find the reef at Toliva Shoals!

Anyway, I've heard about a Uwetec one as well, but I have run out of search ideas...
jjhuff
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

DesertStar

Post by jjhuff »

I've worked with the DesertStar gear a time or two on some ROV projects. Good stuff. Not sure how expensive it is though:)
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Desert Stars stuff is great for the money. I have used it and it works. attached to the scooter and i have made it back to the boat at night with near 0 vis. Also we have left them behind to relocate wrecks. the 2 week bat is great. what you want to use it for is a good idea but also has a limitation. depth of the water you loose you rig in and the ability to recover the gear. Best thing to do is always lash your gear. you will only loose it once.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.