Wings and more wings

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.

What wing do you recomend for doubles

Poll ended at Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:22 pm

Oxeycheq
No votes
Dive Rite
33%
Salvo
No votes
other
33%
none if god intended men to have wings he would be a bird.
33%

Total votes: 3

sparky
I've Got Gills

Wings and more wings

Post by sparky »

Ok guys
I am thinking about makeing a set of doubles out of my Al. 80s
but now im stuck as to which wing would work best
i was wondering what wing you dive and why.

I have been looking at thr Treck wing by Dive Rite.
I have read stuff where divers sware by this wing ans at it .

There is also a wing by oxeycheq in there signtuer series
that i was thinking about getting. but it is only a single

After watching how stable jay was during our dive last weekend i might be willing to try diving doubles if for no other reason then for the extended bottom time.

I know this is a good way to gt your self in trouble but I think I am a good enough diver to take this in to acount when I plan my dives.

my question is when it comes to Doubles wht wing do you recomend and why
like I say I found a good deal on a Dive RiteTreck wing and was hopeing you guys could give me some feed back on this wing, and others.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
lostnbrownsmead
Avid Diver

Dedicated single and double wing versus multi use wing

Post by lostnbrownsmead »

I am looking for a doubles wing. Can any one tell me about the Agir Brokke wing that I can get on Salvo.com. I am also wondering about the single tank/double tank wing such as the Diverite Venture wing. Is there any advantages/disadvantages for the combo wings or am I better with a dedicated single and double wing. is the combo wings easy to clear. I already have a oxychek 45 single wing so I dont need a combo wing but it would be nice to dive with one wing

Jay
da_jab
Aquaphile

Re: Dedicated single and double wing versus multi use wing

Post by da_jab »

lostnbrownsmead wrote:I am looking for a doubles wing. Can any one tell me about the Agir Brokke wing that I can get on Salvo.com.
I've got the 38lbs Agir Brokk wing for my doubles and I love it! :) I recently bought (from Salvo) the 36lbs single tank wing and so far I like it a lot. :)
lostnbrownsmead wrote:I am also wondering about the single tank/double tank wing such as the Diverite Venture wing. Is there any advantages/disadvantages for the combo wings or am I better with a dedicated single and double wing. is the combo wings easy to clear. I already have a oxychek 45 single wing so I dont need a combo wing but it would be nice to dive with one wing

Better off having separate wing for doubles and singles. Haven't tried these combos but don't really see the point in them, since the tank setup and dimensions are so different.
.Janne
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

Sparky and Jay,
I will let you guys try out the dive rite wings I have in stock.. =D>
Sparky,
We can set up your trans pac with a wing, weight pockts, and trim weights.. Then we will go diving.... \:D/

Wally
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

wallyc72 wrote:Sparky and Jay,
I will let you guys try out the dive rite wings I have in stock.. =D>
Sparky,
We can set up your trans pac with a wing, weight pockts, and trim weights.. Then we will go diving.... \:D/

Wally

That sounds like a plan to me Wally I will take you up on that offer
I like to dive it before I buy it

But what we ae wondering was is it bettr to have one wing for diving Singles and one wing for diving Doubles.

And if so what does every one else recomend

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

That's kind of Wally!! I am not sure myself as far as brands go, I am looking at a OMS setup right now, that kinda sucks since I have only had my Zeagle tech for about a month or so!!!!!!! Been diving doubles with it with no plate so far.....
](*,)

Boy what a differnce one word makes!!!!!!
:toimonster:
Last edited by Dave on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

So dave :
you are just useing your dry suit for bouyancy then?
I know a guy that lives in Alaska that swares thihs is the only way to go.
but I have my concerns about this pratice as the dry suite is not made with this in mind

it is intended for exposure protection.
I am not aware for it being ment as a bcd. but not diving a dry suite I cant say for sure just what I have been told.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

Dave,
What OMS wings are you looking at??
Wally
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

Sparky,
The wings I showed you can be used for singles or doubles..
I showed you the Rec wing and Trek Wing.
http://www.diverite.com/Products/produc ... tegoryID=3

Wally
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

sparky wrote:So dave :
you are just useing your dry suit for bouyancy then?
I know a guy that lives in Alaska that swares thihs is the only way to go.
but I have my concerns about this pratice as the dry suite is not made with this in mind it is intended for exposure protection.
I am not aware for it being ment as a bcd. but not diving a dry suite I cant say for sure just what I have been told.
Yes you are right, the dry suit is made for exposure protection in the first place and you use your Buoancy Control Device for the buoancy control. If your bc bladder (for some freak accident) breaks you can use your dry suit to get buoant or in a case of emergency you can use your smb or lift bag (which rules out the need for dual bladders). The guy in Alaska has got stuck in the 60's, maybe his brains got frozen in the cold weather or so.

.Janne
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

LOL

Janne Ill tell him you said that hell get a kick out of it .

like I saied I have my concerns about that. had any one tried the Treck Wing i looked at one at Wally's shop and realy liked the looks of the wing I cant waite to try it out though.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Im confused I use my drysuit for bouyancy controll and it works great.. I have no issues with trim or balance.. Does that all change when you switch to doubles???
Who run barter town?
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

MY my, I just edited my post and changed "wing" to "plate"...what a difference, sorry about that. YES I use a wing on my Zeagle tech (65lbs) and NO i don't use my suit as a buoyancy device!!! Even if I wanted to it would be a total waste of air since I have exhaust valves on both ankles and the standard left shoulder.

I am looking at a 6 lb SS OMS backplate and a OMS harness,,,that is LOOKING, as I am not sure if I should sell my brand new Tech BC so soon or if I should just get the Zeagle SS plate? My only problem with the tech is that I don't like the fit over my shoulders. Even with it torqued all the way down I feel like I am supporting the weight (on land) with my waste with almost no pressure on my shoulders and it seems to hold the doubles so low that it is hard if even possible to reach my manifold valve. I think if it held the tanks a couple of inches higher I could easily reach the valve,,,,does that make sense??? I think if I could just tighten my shoulder straps a couple more inches it would be fine but the way it is constructed that isn't an option!!!
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

sorry Wally, ,,,what OMS wing do you recommend???
:book:
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

Dave wrote:My only problem with the tech is that I don't like the fit over my shoulders. Even with it torqued all the way down I feel like I am supporting the weight (on land) with my waste with almost no pressure on my shoulders and it seems to hold the doubles so low that it is hard if even possible to reach my manifold valve.
Now I don't know anything about Zeagle products but it does not matter how the twin set feels on land, since it's desgined to be used in the water anyway. At least I don't like to walk around with the tanks on my back at all.
Dave wrote: I think if it held the tanks a couple of inches higher I could easily reach the valve,,,,does that make sense??? I think if I could just tighten my shoulder straps a couple more inches it would be fine but the way it is constructed that isn't an option!!!
Dunno about your setup but if you are adjusting your backplate harness here is a really good guide how to do it. And as you see from the article, the chest strap is not needed in the harness.

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Janne:

I noticed you refer to the D.I. R web site a lot just wondering are you a
D. I. R. type or do you just like the way they do there gear?

I think a lot of what they promote makes sence but find some of it dont work for what I want or need

just wondering.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Good article Janne, and I think the problem is that I cannot adjust the straps so that I can easily reach the top (I dont use a BP but if I did) of the BP, Here is a link to the BC I am using
http://www.scuba-equipment-usa.com/express/1252.php

I think I need to just go for a different setup???i.e harness, BP, wing
](*,)
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

sparky wrote: I noticed you refer to the D.I. R web site a lot just wondering are you a
D. I. R. type or do you just like the way they do there gear?
I like the Hoghartian/DIR system and the ideology behind it. Dunno if I'm a DIR type or not, is it like the Jedi vs Sith thing? But I do have the 24W light saber tough... ;)

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

Dave wrote:I think I need to just go for a different setup???i.e harness, BP, wing
Way to go dude! =D>

.J
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Hmmmmm.....I just happened to stumble onto this thread and wanted to toss in my two cents worth. For some reason the poll won't let me in, but that's OK since I was going to check "other" anyway!

I have several sets of wings that I use on a regular basis, all of which I have found to be well-suited for what I use them for. You will find it a bit difficult to find ONE wing that will work as well as it should for BOTH single tank and doubles diving.....either you will find that you have too little lift for doubles or too much volume for use with a single, (the wing will be too large and will flop around your single tank like a huge taco). While you CAN find a wing that will in fact work with both doubles or a single, the trick is to find one that will do both WELL. As you can see by the list of wings (below) that I own and use myself, I have opted to use specific sized wings for specific tasks.

Dive-Rite makes an excellent line of wings, as does Oxycheq. A couple of other EXCELLENT small manufacturers that I would REALLY urge you to check out are:

Deep Sea Supply

http://www.deepseasupply.com/

Golem Gear

http://www.golemgear.com/c-2-bcdswings.aspx

Both Deep Sea Supply and Golem Gear have a variety of innovative products (not just wings!) that are putting them "on the map" within the Tec diving and Rebreather communities. If I were you, I'd check their web sites regularly and often to see what's new....I know that I do!

Golem Gear on-line also carries the Deep Sea Supply, Oxycheq and Dive-Rite wings on their web site, so you can see all of the wing various types and manufacturers on one site.

I use the Dive-Rite "Super One" wing when diving with my doubles (both twin LP 98s and twin LP 112s), The Oxycheq 45 wing when diving with a single tank (AL HP 80 or Steel LP 98), and the Golem Gear 35 wing with my rebreather. The Golem Gear wings are INCREDIBLY tough and well made - they are designed for cave and wreck diving and for the ability to withstand sharp edges. I first saw one on Curt Bowen's rebreather when he came up here in December, and after only a few minute's examination I KNEW that I had to have one!

My own policy is only to recommend products that I have personally used and dived with. All of the wings above fit neatly into that category. If a particular manufacturer's wing doesn't appear above on my list, it doesn't necessarily mean that's it's a poor product, it might be just because I have not personally used it.

Basically, I think that you will be pleased with any of the above manufacturer's products, (Dive-Rite, Oxycheq, Deep Sea Supply and Golem Gear). They are all of fine quality and the people behind the businesses are also of the highest quality!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Boy this is an old thread!!!!
I have used a DiveRite Classic wing the is absolutely awesome for doubles but does not do single tanks and so I recently purchased a DiveRite Rec Wing and it is perfect . I have dove it both with my twin steel 98's and a single 98 both with and without my 19cf pony. My recommendation is buy a DiveRite Rec Wing and you will never need another wing. Do it right the first time!!!!
:partyman: