Hangair thingy

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Hangair thingy

Post by Sockmonkey »

All,

Has anyone ever used one of those goofy hangair things? Do they work? After a rinse, my drysuit doesn't quite dry as fast as I prefer here in the pacnorwest. (and my left boot leaks a smidge)

Sadly I don't have the time or inclination at the to go guy a blower fan and some pvc and put my own together.

Thanks much,

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Hangair thingy

Post by airsix »

I don't think it's going to work for a drysuit. It works on convection, which requires airflow in the bottom and out the top. Great for open-bottom wetuits, not so great for drysuits with attached socks/boots. A stick of PVC and a few 'T' fittings is less than $10. As I was draping my suit over an aluminum painters ladder yesterday I was thinking I really ought to make a proper rack myself.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

laivndvl bought a peet boot dryer and some PVC to extend the legs. Claims it works well. I just hang mine over a PVC bar and put the fan blowing on it and that works, but I don't have a leak (knocking on wood)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Skip the drying and go for another dive :bounce:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Nwbrewer wrote:laivndvl bought a peet boot dryer and some PVC to extend the legs. Claims it works well.
That would probably work pretty good since the suit would be upside down. Hot air goes up the tubes, into the suit, cools as it absorbs moisture in the suit, and then the cool air vents out the bottom (neck and wrists). Cool idea. I got one of those dryers as a gift a few years ago. It just found a new calling. Thanks!

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

CaptnJack wrote:Skip the drying and go for another dive :bounce:
Ditto. Who wastes their time drying thier gear................Oh, sorry Jake, sorry Ben...............
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

My drysuit is a NEOZ, it's freaking heavy when it's wet. I don't get to dive this week and I'm starting to feel withdrawl.

I gave fishstiq my idea for drying his, which is to use some PVC and shopvac hose to blow the moisture out. Attach hose to bottom of 5 gallon bucket, point the fan into the bucket to pressurize it and send air into the suit. Mine doesn't really get wet inside, so I don't bother with an internal fan.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Nwbrewer wrote:laivndvl bought a peet boot dryer and some PVC to extend the legs. Claims it works well. I just hang mine over a PVC bar and put the fan blowing on it and that works, but I don't have a leak (knocking on wood)
Hmmm the peet thing is pretty... uh... neat.

They seem to make one for hip waders that might work for a drysuit.

I could of course just get the leak fixed... but then I wouldn't be able to dive for a while... so I continue to rinse out my left boot so it doesn't get the funk.

I'm amazed how long things take to dry here, even in the summer, compared to Boston... which is a pretty humid place too. Apartment living also makes it a little more of a challenge to dry things out... which then in turn annoys a loved one who disagrees that having your gear hanging about is just as good as actual art.

-Eric

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Pez7378 wrote:Ditto. Who wastes their time drying thier gear................Oh, sorry Jake, sorry Ben...............
So is anyone going to talk to Chris about that smell? :evil4:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I have a Peet boot dryer. I only use it for shoes and gloves though, not my drysuit. My general complaint is that it doesn't really circulate. The hot moist air just stays up there. Needs a small fan to move stuff outa there.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ulisses
Getting To Know Folks

Post by ulisses »

I'm going to tell you what I do. When I come back from a dive I put all my gear in the shower. I put my dry suit and get into the shower and clean/wash all my staff. Then I rinse my dry suit as if I was taking a bath.

I don't care too much by the interior since all the transpiration is absorbed by the undergarment, and I wash it from time to time in the washer machine.

It works very well for me and I never wet the dry suit interior when cleaning my staff.

Hope it helps for you also.

Ulisses.
Keep wet!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Well... as the stop-gap solution to my leaky boot I just ordered a hangair. I'll give a full report after my first use.

Since I don't have an outdoor space with a hose to rinse gear I too use the shower. I've always been too lazy or tired to get in to my dry suit and shower with it, but I've thought about it... plus it would make a pretty funny photo. I may have to hide the camera before I get in.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

-Eric
ulisses wrote:I'm going to tell you what I do. When I come back from a dive I put all my gear in the shower. I put my dry suit and get into the shower and clean/wash all my staff. Then I rinse my dry suit as if I was taking a bath.

I don't care too much by the interior since all the transpiration is absorbed by the undergarment, and I wash it from time to time in the washer machine.

It works very well for me and I never wet the dry suit interior when cleaning my staff.

Hope it helps for you also.

Ulisses.

Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I was digging around looking for some random piece of dive gear recently and ran into my stupid hangair. I had forgotten all about it since it was packed up in Seattle to be shipped here.

Ben was right... it didn't really work for a drysuit. I still used it like a massive hanger to dry the outside of my drysuit in my musty moldy Ballard basement. The suit puffed up to dry. If wet, the inside didn't dry very well.

It also scared the living bajesus out of people which was fun. With the telescoping feature of the torso of my suit it extended to over 7 feet long. It's black of course. As we were preparing to leave Seattle a young woman from freecycle came over one evening to pick up some painting supplies I had my my basement. My wife led her down the outside cellar stairs into a dark dank 1900's basement only to be met by a humming 7' headless specter. I'm sorry I wasn't there to hear her scream.

Now that I'm rocking the wetsuit I figured I'd try out the hangair. By golly it works! It often took two days for my suit to dry... now it takes an overnight. Of course just hanging it up reduces the stink that my suits tend to acquire.

Would I spent $40 of my impulse buy cash again? Hell no.
Am I glad I have it now? Hell yes.

-Eric
IMG_0338.JPG