Gear to avoid?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Gear to avoid?

Post by sunnydude »

As I search the internet there are way too many brands of gear to decide. Being a newbie how am I to know which brands to avoid and which to pursue? I am sure there are certain brands to consider: Scubapro, Mares but which ones should I avoid considering?

I am speaking of BCD, Reg, computer, suits.

Thanks.
Sean
loanwolf
Pelagic

Re: Gear to avoid?

Post by loanwolf »

They are all good what it comes down to is what type of diving do you do now and what you see yourself doing in the future as to what to get. Some gear will last only a few years (common gear), while others will last a life time. So what you get depends on what you plan to do as what to buy.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

sunnydude wrote:As I search the internet there are way too many brands of gear to decide. Being a newbie how am I to know which brands to avoid and which to pursue? I am sure there are certain brands to consider: Scubapro, Mares but which ones should I avoid considering?

I am speaking of BCD, Reg, computer, suits.

Thanks.
I don't think there are any specific recommendations I could give at the brand level. All the manufacturers produce decent stuff these days. For your BCD, my recommendation would be to consider a backplate/wing/harness setup - they are the most flexible option, and can be reconfigured to meet whatever your needs become. Diving in cold water means dealing with a lot of weight and jacket type BCDs (even with integrated weight systems) won't allow you to distribute that weight optimally (you won't be able to trim out as well as you might like, and if you dive enough you may be straining your back). For your regulator, look to a model which is comfortable and easily/cheaply maintained (ask your favorite shop what they like to work on). I have a particular brand that I tend to stick with because I like their simplicity and serviceability - all my regulators are pretty similar and I like having some familiarity with them. For your computer, try a few different models which meet your requirements, and choose the one that is the most user-friendly (the last thing you want in a stressful situation is a computer that's difficult to work with). Suits - for wetsuits look at a full 7mm suit, then buy a 7mm "shorty" with attached hood. I think that configuration minimizes wash-through best and will keep you warmest. There are lots of drysuit choices - I'd stick to either shell-type suits or compressed neoprene suits as they tend to last longer than the uncompressed neoprene suits. Try a bunch and see what fits best. Try to get something with a heavy duty zip and heavy duty seals - they last much longer.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

This will all depend on where you plan to go with your diving and how long you plan on taking to get there.

For general rec use most equipment is going to work pretty well as long as it is name brand, appropriate for this type of diving and purchased from a authorized vendor who will support you after purchase. This is especially important with regs as they have to be serviced regularly and it can get pricey. Ask 20 divers which is best brand and your likely to get at least 10 different answers. Your best bet is to get out and talk to other divers locally and see what they are using and ask why. Barrow or rent for awhile and see what works for you. You might just find some local divers with used stuff at good prices that has been well taken care of. You also can go to the scuba labs site and check the ratings for any you are considering. Remember if you buy used factor the service cost into the price unless you really know the person you are buying from. If your buying Internet just be sure you buy from a reputable dealer who is authorized to sell the products on the net with full warranties unless you are willing to assume the costs for service and repair later as most of the major brands will not honer warranties for mail order merchandise.

As for computers I would reccomend a nitrox compatable one and check around and make sure it's not going to lock you out if you make a minor mistake or that it can be reset if it does. Some will lock you out for 24 to 48 hours. Also assure that the batteries are diver changable.

BCDs are a hard subject because there are such strong feelings between the different factions involved. For diving in the northwest I recommend a back inflate rig. Either a standard jacket style or a Back plate and wing combo. I would avoid anything that is not weight integrated or that doesn't allow for adding weight pockets. Don't buy any that doesn't have a replaceable bladder system and make sure it has enough lift for you.

Wet suits will get you by for now but go at least 7 mil and I recommend the farmer John type 2 piece for warmth or as stated above buy a vest with hood to wear under the standard wet suit.

If you are thinking deep diving or specialty diving then your choices are more defined and usually more expensive too but this will be down the road a ways. If you go there then get with some of the guys here who do that type of diving and go from there.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The best thing to no doubt about it avoid...
"spare air"
the nitrox version being even more laughable
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:The best thing to no doubt about it avoid...
"spare air"
the nitrox version being even more laughable
I 110% agree with this recommendation.

Best thing to do with gear is to get out and dive with people who dive different configurations. Then decide what brands you DO want.

The only other thing I'd recommend is the advice "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I can only make one specifically brand-name suggestion, and it's based on experience: don't get a Dacor regulator. It's not that they're bad regulators, they're just fine. The problem is, they're not made any more so you have to buy used, and nobody can get parts for them when it's time to service them so you're hosed. Now, if you can get one in good shape for a buck ninety-five or something like that, and it lasts you a year, that might be worth it. Otherwise, go with something that's still being made, or at least the company is still around. Check prices of servicing, and especially what the parts cost for an annual servicing. In that area, all regulators are definitely NOT equal. For regulators, think long-term and not just the initial cost.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
narcosis Junky
Aquaphile

Post by narcosis Junky »

The Question is not what gear brand to buy, it is how much do you want to spend.
I spendt $1500 on a dive computer (Smart Tech by uwatec)
I spent $1200 on an OMS Back plate BC system
I spent $4,000 on a DUI custom Dry suit.
And I have spent over $3000 on Scuba pro Regs, I have a lot of them (tech diving)
And I spent $1500 on my Startek canister light.
I spent over $7,000 just on camera and housing and port and strobe equipement.

The question is what do you want to do in your diving?
How much is to much?

Some brands are more reputable than others but so is there cost.

A key rule in diving equipement, is you normally get what you pay for. That's rule #1. And remember it! :dontknow:

oh if you spend a lot, you will look good :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

But can you dive with all those toys.
Maybe you should only spend $3000 on a full set of gear and be happy with it.
Do you plan on diving like me every weekend or 5 times a year.
I know , lot's of questions to answer. :dontknow: :book: :book: :book: do your research two, this sight is a good start, lot's of great people ready to help you.
Want to go dive in Oregon. I can help. Biginner or experienced it doesn't matter.
want to do some underwater photography I will help if I can. I'm a dive Junky. Cold or hot.
I spear fish, night dive, deep dive. I do it all. Contact me.
http://flickr.com/photos/8680102@N04/
Stu
Aquaphile

Post by Stu »

"You don't want any cheap crap when doing something like this" George Irvine, DIR 3

I think there is value in many things that are less expensive. For example, you will find that many companies carry the same regulator or computer (see the zeagle n2ition and the nitek duo), the only difference being the price and name on the front.

I would suggest taking your time, and not buying anything in a 'package deal' unless you know something about everything your getting.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Just keep in mind that "Quality is always Cheaper". Buy the best equipment you can afford and service it right. This applies for all your gear. Wait if you have to save but do not settle for something not quite as good. My regs are now over 12 years old with hundreds of dives on them and are as great as the day I bought them.

From experience I would not buy a Dacor for reasons listed before me. They are only good for inflating a boat, car tire or on a Argon bottle. Or a Tusa, I won one and still thought it cost too much. Maybe ok for shallow warm water diving.

Remember, buy the best quality you can. All of us have bought junk we thought was good and ended up selling on Ebay.
Charles
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Aquanautchuck wrote:Just keep in mind that "Quality is always Cheaper". Buy the best equipment you can afford and service it right. This applies for all your gear. Wait if you have to save but do not settle for something not quite as good. My regs are now over 12 years old with hundreds of dives on them and are as great as the day I bought them.

From experience I would not buy a Dacor for reasons listed before me. They are only good for inflating a boat, car tire or on a Argon bottle. Or a Tusa, I won one and still thought it cost too much. Maybe ok for shallow warm water diving.

Remember, buy the best quality you can. All of us have bought junk we thought was good and ended up selling on Ebay.
I dunno ... I owned someTUSA gear when I was first starting out. It was reasonably priced, and served me well for the first couple years I had it. Never had either performance or service issues with any of it. I did manage to break the little backplate on the BCD after a couple years ... and when I sent it back to TUSA for repair they sent me a whole new unit. Can't complain about that ... despite the fact that by the time it came back I'd settled on a replacement ScubaPro BC that I'd bought used at a good price.

Likewise Cheng's old Dacor reg ... it's still kickin' around the garage. Can't get it serviced anymore, since they're out of business ... but she put probably 300 or more problem-free dives on that reg before we upgraded to a better-quality reg.

If all you're doing is kicking around at recreational levels, you don't really need high-performance gear. It's all pretty reliable. Granted, once you start going deeper, better quality regs will be more appropriate for that type of diving. But just about any reg's gonna be reliable if you maintain it properly.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

There's one shop in the area that still has some Dacor parts, in fact we just got my wife's reg serviced there. But reading between the lines, the tech seemed to be saying this is about the last time he'll be able to do that. But if you already have a Dacor that you like, it's probably worth checking with him to see if he has parts for it. Anybody who's interested, PM me and I'll give you the shop details.

I wouldn't get another one, though, simply because of the parts problem. It really gets to be difficult when I have to return to Idaho.............
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com