Dry suits....

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Samson

Dry suits....

Post by Samson »

Ok guys, ... and gals...:)

Which is the preferred dry suit and what are the advantages/disadvantages of each....

Compressed neoprene dry suit or the conventional rubber style(or whatever the material is) drysuit....

I am getting ready to start my certification course and I assume one would want to go through the course with the equipment he will be diving in... correct???

2nd question... I know you use your dry suit to help with boyancy... do you still use a BCD with a dry suit... A different style?? or just the standard, but you just dont use the BCD for boyancy????

I hope these are not completely stupid questions...... #-o

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Samson-
Last edited by Samson on Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Dry suits....

Post by Sounder »

As much as it'll suck, I recommend people go through certification in a wetsuit - it simplifies everything. Freezing? Yes. Do people do it in drysuits? Sure. Is it optimum? I, personally, don't think so.

If you ARE going to get one, there are many threads here about drysuits - just do a search and see what you come up with.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

So, I should start teaching my openwater courses in wetsuits?

Samson- You'll need to make that decision after diving and looking at the different materials. I personally prefer the DUI CF200 - "crushed neoprene" I have 2 of them but I don't recommend that suit to every customer who comes in the door.

Trilams or even bilams are great suits as are some of the compressed neoprene suits. For travel, a laminate is nice because its light and dries fast. I'm heading to San Diego to dive next week and wish I had a laminate suit for travel. My neoprene suit is very heavy (like 15lbs) and takes awhile to dry.

I disagree and think if you are going to dive in the PNW, you should start in a drysuit from the get go. They aren't that complicated to dive and If it's all you know it's easy. Then when you have a chance to dive a wetsuit in warm water it's liberating.

I teach my students year around in drysuits, our high temps are less than 50 and in Feb, they will be 34-36F I don't really have a choice.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Dmitchell wrote:So, I should start teaching my openwater courses in wetsuits?
No, I definitely don't think YOU should be teaching in wetsuits. :pale:
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I agree with Sounder on this one... a drysuit will add a layer of complexity that might hamper you in learning all the basic stuff being taught in your OW class. Diving fun is all about being comfortable in the water and you'll probably have enough to manage and worry about during class without futzing with a dry suit.

However... if your OW instructor is cool with helping you manage your suit as part of the class then by all means hop in a suit and rock on. If teach has no intention of taking the drysuit into consideration then I say go wet for class.

Check out some of the drysuit threads in the gear forum here for opinions on suits and "training".... but don't get too caught up. When you think you're ready to add a layer of buoyancy complexity maybe try renting a few drysuits to see what you dig... I sure wish I did before buying one #-o

-Eric
Sounder wrote:As much as it'll suck, I recommend people go through certification in a wetsuit - it simplifies everything. Freezing? Yes. Do people do it in drysuits? Sure. Is it optimum? I, personally, don't think so.

If you ARE going to get one, there are many threads here about drysuits - just do a search and see what you come up with.
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

So here's my take:

Crushed Neo
Positives:
- Warmer - The neoprene has some insulation properties to it
- Crushed neo is more hydrodynamic (??) i.e. it is more streamline in the water than trilam

Negatives:
- Its a heavy when wet
- It takes longer time to to dry compared to trilam
- It's somewhat buoyant. You will need to add a few more pounds of weight
- A good one will last a long time but a not so good one will have a short lifespan
- Good ones are expensive

Trilam
Positives:
- Its light
- Durable - even cheep ones last for years
- A bit cheaper than crushed neo

Negatives:
- Tends to pinch more than crushed neo
- They are not a streamline in the water
- Limited insulation properties - you will need a good undergarment to keep you warm

Brands that I would check out...
DUI - The Cadillac of drysuits (and you pay for it)
Diving Concepts
Whites
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Ahh, when you said certification I thought you meant drysuit certification, not open water.

As for getting certified in a drysuit, I would speak with the shop and see what they recommend. If you do the class in a drysuit you will also need to get drysuit certified while your in open water. Where I took my open water class, the drysuit certification was part of open water certification so everybody dove dry.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

BillZ wrote:So here's my take:

Crushed Neo
Positives:
- Warmer - The neoprene has some insulation properties to it
- Crushed neo is more hydrodynamic (??) i.e. it is more streamline in the water than trilam

Negatives:
- Its a heavy when wet
- A good one will last a long time but a not so good one will have a short lifespan

Trilam
Positives:
- Its light
- Durable - even cheep ones last for years
- A bit cheaper than crushed neo

Negatives:
- Tends to pinch more than crushed neo
- They are not a streamline in the water
- Limited insulation properties - you will need a good undergarment to keep you warm

Diving Concepts
Whites
I think you are rolling "crushed" in with compressed neoprene. There is only one "crushed neoprene" it's made by DUI and it's a totally different material than compressed neoprene.

I don't normally issue a "drysuit specialty" card with ever openwater card. Technically, the student has one more dive to do by PADI standard to complete the drysuit course. It's their choice if they want to do that and collect that card.

There is no written standard that says you have to have a drysuit card to dive a drysuit. I screen potential equipment renters by asking about experience if they have drysuit experience then they can rent. Certification? all the better. For instance, I had a guy come in a few weeks ago asking about a drysuit course, turns out he's an instructor and has dove a drysuit a few times at DUI demo days. I asked him why he wanted a drysuit course? He just wanted someone to take him diving no problem, lets go.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

Samson...I completed my OW dives in a 7mm wetsuit. Maybe I am warm blooded but I was actually hot in the suit.

No one in our class had their own suit or bcd, just their fins, mask and snorkel (guess we had boots and gloves too). We used the rental suits. My wife would have put the kybosh on the whole certification thing if I said I needed to buy all the stuff just for the class. Now for the Advanced....
Sean
Samson

Post by Samson »

I am not so worried about starting out in a wet suit, but my wife on the other hand I am afraid that if she gets really cold on her first few dives, will be very discouraged.... Something I would just as soon prevent if possible.....

Does anyone have an opinion on a Henrys compressed neoprene wet suit????

Samson-
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Samson wrote:I am not so worried about starting out in a wet suit, but my wife on the other hand I am afraid that if she gets really cold on her first few dives, will be very discouraged.... Something I would just as soon prevent if possible.....

Does anyone have an opinion on a Henrys compressed neoprene wet suit????

Samson-
If this is an issue of comfort for your wife, get her in a good drysuit from the get-go, especially if you can afford it. Getting certified locally is a challenge, being cold on top of that is going to make her miserable.

I'd rather have my significant other (who is a warm water only diver) warm and slightly more task loaded than shivering in a wetsuit. So, I'm agreeing with Dave on this one.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Samson wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on a Henrys compressed neoprene wet suit????

Samson-
Henry's? I don't think I've ever heard of that. My first drysuit was a Harvey's compressed neoprene suit, and it was great, until I added enough *ahem* "bioprene" to make it fit like a sausage casing. I now dive a DUI CF200 which is awesome, and doesn't make me look like a zeppelin in a condom...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

That's a good point. I suppose shivering is worse than more task loaded. There are enough additional-gear remedies to help her be successful in it too and if she starts from the get-go in it, it'll be better all around.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

scottsax wrote:
Samson wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on a Henrys compressed neoprene wet suit????

Samson-
Henry's? I don't think I've ever heard of that.
Sure ya have, mate ... their Blue Boar is excellent ... \:D/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Samson

Post by Samson »

OOOps..... Harveys.... Damn,,,, It must be beer thirty already..... It is friday!!!!

Samson-
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Grateful Diver wrote:
scottsax wrote:

Samson-
Henry's? I don't think I've ever heard of that.
Sure ya have, mate ... their Blue Boar is excellent ... \:D/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
:occasion5:

Good on ya' mate!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Being a cheap b@st@rd, I would recommend not shelling out lots of money for gear until you know that diving is for you.

My wife only got certified here so that she could dive on a vacation to Hawaii. She had absolutely no desire to dive in "that cold, dark, murky, nasty water". However, after her first OW dive, she came stomping up the beach at Cove 2 and cursing up a storm. "&*#@*)!)%#@!, I like it here!" Then we got her a drysuit. :)

On the other hand, my neighbor decided to take up diving. He dropped a few thousand $'s on gear, took his OW class, then took his AOW to actually learn how to dive. Other than 2 dives outside of class, his gear has been dry for a couple years.

So, back to my original statement. Don't spend the money on a drysuit until you like diving. If you really like diving around here, a few cold dives in a wetsuit isn't going to dampen that excitement and desire.
Purveyor of crack ;)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Raydar wrote:Being a cheap b@st@rd, I would recommend not shelling out lots of money for gear until you know that diving is for you.
-----
So, back to my original statement. Don't spend the money on a drysuit until you like diving. If you really like diving around here, a few cold dives in a wetsuit isn't going to dampen that excitement and desire.
Couldn't agree more!

And BillZ, this was a pretty good summary... I've added a couple of my thoughts in blue...
BillZ wrote:So here's my take:

Crushed Neo
Positives:
- Warmer - The neoprene has some insulation properties to it - True!
- Crushed neo is more hydrodynamic (??) i.e. it is myore streamline in the water than trilam - Yep, but not a big deal for a slow going photographer who doesn't own a scooter and who doesn't go fast!

Negatives:
- Its a heavy when wet

Trilam
Positives:
- Its light - Durable - even cheep ones last for years - A bit cheaper than crushed neo All true, (LOTS cheaper than crushed neo if you're talking DUI) and one of the reasons that you can buy these used and most of the time get a decent deal, IF you find one that is large enough for you.

Negatives:
- Tends to pinch more than crushed neo NOT if you use your drysuit for buoyancy
- They are not a streamline in the water Not an issue (see above) if you're a big fat guy who goes slow in the water anyway!- Limited insulation properties - you will need a good undergarment to keep you warm Great actually for when you dive different temp waters and different times of year.
Diving Concepts
Whites
My personal preference is obviously a shell suit, but that's for the type of diving I do around here. It really boils down to personal preference and pocketbook strength - take your time before you shell out the scuba units!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Samson wrote:I am not so worried about starting out in a wet suit, but my wife on the other hand I am afraid that if she gets really cold on her first few dives, will be very discouraged.... Something I would just as soon prevent if possible.....

Samson-
Hmmm I take back what I said about doing OW wet.

I would suggest doing everything in your power to ensure that diving is something she supports. Even if it means digging deep in your wallet to keep her from being discouraged in any way.

Someone should make a "whipped" smiley... I would have used it in this post.... for myself.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Sockmonkey wrote:

Samson-
Hmmm I take back what I said about doing OW wet.

I would suggest doing everything in your power to ensure that diving is something she supports. Even if it means digging deep in your wallet to keep her from being discouraged in any way.

Someone should make a "whipped" smiley... I would have used it in this post.... for myself.

-Eric

:prayer: + cold = :axe: Makes all us guys :hello2: :prayer: In order to get to continue diving.

(best I could come up with)
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

I have a nice Harvey's wet suit I've used since my AOW and Rescue certs in 2002. I don't get cold at all. ...well not entirely true I've felt a little bit of that chill if I'm not very active around 110ft. I think this has to do with the neoprine compressing.
http://www.harveys-divesuits.com/Catalo ... =TFN%20283

The only thing I notice myself doing is being reluctant to get back in for a second dive. I think it's just because I'm already damp and not cozy dry and warm. Drysuit is the way to go - we all know that. But I guess I'm one of the few that prooves long term diving wet around here is possible. Not ideal but possible. In fact I'm browsing craigslist almost daily for a smoking deal on a DUI ...but I'm in no rush.

Actually my gf asked me wether I wanted a DUI suit for my b-day or a new TV. Guess who's going diving wet tomorrow but watching the Hawks on his 52in Sony LCD on Sunday! :supz:

So I guess what I'm saying is if you have the cash and you like diving just do it and get a dry suit you'll end up getting one eventually.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

It's unfortunate the Hawks suck so much this year... I would have gone for the drysuit and taken the TV next season. :dontknow:
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

Sounder wrote:It's unfortunate the Hawks suck so much this year... I would have gone for the drysuit and taken the TV next season. :dontknow:
Good call! Thank god for Costco's return policy... but after watching Iron Man on Blue Ray tonight I think it will be hard to convince her that we need to take it back.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Alex wrote:
Sounder wrote:It's unfortunate the Hawks suck so much this year... I would have gone for the drysuit and taken the TV next season. :dontknow:
Good call! Thank god for Costco's return policy... but after watching Iron Man on Blue Ray tonight I think it will be hard to convince her that we need to take it back.
Slur your speech and act lethargic next time you get out of the water - tell her a drysuit is a safety issue and that if you don't get one, that she may be watching Blue Ray alone... but wait at least 90 days so you can't return the TV.