Anyone have any dead dive computers they'd like to donate?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
defied
I've Got Gills

Anyone have any dead dive computers they'd like to donate?

Post by defied »

I want to try something, and I'm pretty sure it won't work. 0]

Thanks,
D(B)
Last edited by defied on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Anyone have any dead computers they'd like to donate?

Post by spatman »

i have an old (10 years?) hp pavilion in the basement. i could bring it up with me when i come up in a few weeks...
defied
I've Got Gills

Re: Anyone have any dead dive computers they'd like to donate?

Post by defied »

My fault, I should have been more specific. I meant Dive computers.

i know it's a shot in the dark, but it can't hurt to put out feelers. 0]

As for regular computer parts, I've got more than enough. I've got a $1200.00 server sitting in my basement, stowed in my rack, doing nothing useful. rofl

Thanks,
D(B)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We've got one that Peter found at the bottom of Cove 2 -- can't remember what kind it is. Where are you? I'd be happy to give it to you. (Don't ask me why we still have it, since it has never worked.)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I think I still have a dead Vytec sitting in a box at home. Can you tell me more about what you're planning to use it for? A PM will do, if you don't want to talk about it publicly.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I'd love them.

Well, I want to open them up, and look inside of them. My ultimate goal would be to replace the ROM with my own, using the open source, 12 tissue analyzing computer firmware, and test it.

For anyone concerned, I would NEVER test any of this in the water without a proper computer strapped to my arm as well.

I live in Tacoma, work in Downtown Seattle, so I'm all in between there.

Thanks for your interest, and Maybe we can schedule a meetup soon (I'm going to be in Mexico for two weeks come Tuesday)

D(B)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I think open platform is the way of the future. The Liquivision X1 has an open platform for which there are two commercially available software programs for, GAP and the real V-Planner. The code is available for someone who wants to write their own. This has worked well as this puts all the liability on the programmer (there are legal docs drawn up before the code platform is released to a developer of course).

I'll be interested to hear what you come up with. What deco algorithm are you thinking of using? Neat project.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I was thinking of using the 12 tissue algorithm heinrichsweikamp was talking about, but I have to dig around some more. So far most of their source is done in Assembler, and C, so that's not too bad, unless I have to change some hardware references in more than one place. 0]

I'm still going to tool around, and I will keep everyone updated, but first things first, I've got to get the computers, see what I can salvage to get something semi operational, and how the hardware is configured, so as to make sure I'm not "Locked out". 0]

LCF, Bob, I would be more than happy to take those off of your hands sometime. PM me if you'd like. I am not looking to spend money, but would be willing to make other deals if required(Standby diver, when I have my gear up, bottle bitch, etc...). 0]

Thanks,
D(B)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

defied wrote:I was thinking of using the 12 tissue algorithm heinrichsweikamp was talking about, but I have to dig around some more. So far most of their source is done in Assembler, and C, so that's not too bad, unless I have to change some hardware references in more than one place. 0]

I'm still going to tool around, and I will keep everyone updated, but first things first, I've got to get the computers, see what I can salvage to get something semi operational, and how the hardware is configured, so as to make sure I'm not "Locked out". 0]

LCF, Bob, I would be more than happy to take those off of your hands sometime. PM me if you'd like. I am not looking to spend money, but would be willing to make other deals if required(Standby diver, when I have my gear up, bottle bitch, etc...). 0]

Thanks,
D(B)
I've gotta dig into my "box of stuff I'll never use again" and make sure it's still there ... if so, I'll drop you a PM.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Roger that, and thanks.. PS.. any other stuff dive related you feel you have to get rid of... \:D/

Thanks again!
D(B)
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Lynne,
Dead Battery. 0]

I replaced it, but unfortunately one of the screw in the back is seized, so I had to mangle the door a little to get it off. All I think I need to do is redo the battery cover (The seal is still there, so it's watertight), and pressure test it to make sure it's a working comp, and not thrown away because it's registering improper values.

Bob,
The Batteries are not bad, so I'm looking into the depth sensors. I'll keep you updated.

The LCD's are fixed screen, so getting custom firmware on them may be an issue. 0[

This is only one day of testing though, so it's going to be a while. 0]

Thank you two so much for your donations! They're also helping me decide my new computer purchase when I reach that point!

D(B)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

defied wrote: Thank you two so much for your donations! They're also helping me decide my new computer purchase when I reach that point!
Just have them show you the computers they're both CURRENTLY diving before you choose which one you want to buy... I hear their current computers have an open-source platform for software too, set up so that if you're the kind of guy who wants to put in his own algorithm in code, he could... without any fix screen or other issues, and none of that annoying LCD stuff. :supz:

:rr:
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Oh Yeah. They slapped those comps on as I was standing there. Uhm... DROOL. Of course, that would make it too easy. 0]

Well, One hurdle was the battery, the next ones will be pressure testing them, and potentially replacing the depth sensors on at least two of them.

One thing I did notice on the Aeris that Lynne gave me, is that it seemed to have reset on me when i was messing with it. This could be just because it timed out, but I'm off to find the manual to read up on it to be sure that's the case. Otherwise there may be a reason whoever it was dumped it (Last dive was Feb '08)
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

defied,
Just an FYI... the street price on the OLED display they're using is only about $35 with the interface board. Go for it!
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

airsix wrote:defied,
Just an FYI... the street price on the OLED display they're using is only about $35 with the interface board. Go for it!
-Ben
It's more complicated to implement the OLED than it seems at first glance... taste the secret sauce. :rr:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Sounder wrote:It's more complicated to implement the OLED than it seems at first glance... taste the secret sauce. :rr:
Defied has already expressed a level of comfort working in C and assembler. With all of the displays coming with turn-key serial/usb controllers he won't have any trouble at all.
Don't worry. You aren't losing any business over a little recreational development and experimentation.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

airsix wrote:
Sounder wrote:It's more complicated to implement the OLED than it seems at first glance... taste the secret sauce. :rr:
Defied has already expressed a level of comfort working in C and assembler. With all of the displays coming with turn-key serial/usb controllers he won't have any trouble at all.
Don't worry. You aren't losing any business over a little recreational development and experimentation.

-Ben
I'm not worried - I admire his willingness to try. You mad-scientist types are one of a kind.

I think OLED is the way of the immediate future until an even better screen option comes out... :rr:
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Thanks Ben! I'll look around, but I'm not sure if OLED's are that cheap yet. Stock LED's, sure. OLED's are pretty damn bright, and would make more sense in the water.

Sounder, I've got an Arduino sitting here, that I can load a LED driver for for output. That's not my problem. The problem is trying to implement the algorithm. Only because I haven't messed with it yet. Pressure housings are easy enough to make, and allthough I'd like to make a Heat sensitive control system, heat....water.... lame. 0] I'll stick with 2 to 3 o-ring mechanical push buttons for now. I may have to roll with a parrallax propeller chip, as it's pretty friggin fast, but that would make me feel bad about not using the full performance of the chip. I'd have to add an automated turret sentry system, and a hot air balloon launcher at the press of a button to make it interesting.

For now. The Arduino is king, and will do everything I want it to. 0]

Thanks a ton for your support guys, and Ben, if you know where I can find those OLED's for $35.00, could you PM me the link? 0]

Thanks again,
D(B)
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

defied wrote: Thanks a ton for your support guys, and Ben, if you know where I can find those OLED's for $35.00, could you PM me the link? 0]
OLED for $37 here: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=712 It's not the world's best OLED, but it is color and 128x128 pixels and includes a controller chip. They have much better ones for sale, too, and their markup isn't terrible when you're buying onsies-twosies for something like this.

As "cool" as OLEDs are, I'm not convinced they're the way I'd go in a dive computer. Power consumption isn't that great once you actually start lighting up the display with reasonable amount of pixels, at least in comparison to a backlit lcd. Also, their display half-life reminds me of the first gen of plasma TVs. I'd probably build one as a one off myself, but I'd be wary of putting it into a consumer product that's not "disposable" (like a cell phone.)

Seeing as you're using an Arduino to do this work, I'm guessing that you're not really worrying about power budget, anyway.

Any reason you're not just picking up the OSDC from HeinrichsWeilkamp? The street price at today's exchange rate is less than $675, including a sealed fischer bulkhead for O2 sensors, firmware as a starting point, OLED display, and well-refined PCB.

I love building hardware myself (I'm in the middle of a bike computer for my Kurt Kinetic trainer, actually, to output to the plasma TV in the living room...) However, rev'ing the board to get it small enough to wear on the wrist is kind of a PITA, and they've done the hard work, leaving the software up to you. The only real negative I can find with the device is that it's using a 16 bit PIC, and, while there are more interesting procs available (ARM core, anyone), it's still usable.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

For the PITA board size issue part, are you using an Arduino? There are variants of it that are TINY. All you need to do is add the customized elements.... Let's see, the smallest one is: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8824 (There's a smaller one, but it's designer)

And also the stamp module:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8164

I've got the standard size for development on, and that could fit inside of the X1 casing, with very little room to spare, mind you. 0]

As I'm thinking about it, the arduino would probably be a perfect platform for a dive computer (Unless advertising 8 32bit cogs on the parrallax chip would drive sales). 0]

Maybe I'll mess with the Arduino first, and move on to parrallax later on.... Hmmm... fun.

Thanks!
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

defied wrote:For the PITA board size issue part, are you using an Arduino? There are variants of it that are TINY. All you need to do is add the customized elements.... Let's see, the smallest one is: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8824 (There's a smaller one, but it's designer)
No, I'm not an Arduino guy. I etch my own boards and design my own hardware. If I want to play with interfacing 8 bit micros, I just use a PIC and do it in Microchip assembler; their instruction set is brain dead simple, and, having tried higher level languages in the 8-bit uC world, I find them a waste of memory space and proc cycles.

That said, I would personally not choose to do a dive computer project on an 8 bit micro. Having done similar type projects, to hack 16 or 32 bit math routines, floating point and/or fixed point libraries, etc, and emulate that behavior on an 8 bit uC is inefficient, highly buggy, and a pain - you'll run up against chip limitations sooner than you know. You're better off with something a little beefier, and better suited for the task at hand...with a real tool chain, decent compilers, good math libraries, etc. ATMEL and Microchip both have 16 or 32 bit product lines, decent compilers (or GCC if you're doing it cheap...), and decent support while retaining pretty good power consumption.

You're better off with the propeller, but 8 cores is a bit of overkill.

-C
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Yes, Keeping it cheap is the option for now, so starting out with what I have will be best. I'll use gcc because it's cheap, AND one of the best. 0] Also, trying to remain open source, a gnu compiler is definitely for the win.

Thanks for the info, I'll move on to a 16 bit later. 8 bit for now is fine. Oh, and the propeller is excessive, but it's cheap enough, that it could be a nice beginning setup for a module dive system. eight cores... nice....
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

The sprarkfun boards that camerone posted to look like the easiest to interface. If you want to go with a mono 128x62 (Osram) like the OSDC and X1, you can get it from digikey for $19 now. LINK I don't see the controller/driver (Osram part #SSD1303 (1-bit), SDD0323 (4-bit)) on digikey, but I didn't look very hard. I'm glad camerone brought up the OSDC. I was going to mention it but couldn't remember the name. At the very least you can look at their parts list to know where you can get your sensors. If you weren't aware of that project it's fully open sources - both hardware design and the software. Might save you a bunch of work to borrow some ideas.

I'm not smart enough to build anything like this, but I do find it interesting. When it comes to embedded processor projects I'm just a script-kiddie. I've built a few things (RFID reader, fuel/ignition computer for a car) but I always have to rely on someone else's schematics and code.

-Ben

ps - This austrailian outfit has some cool display+driver kits too. http://www.4dsystems.com.au/index.php
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Ben,
Thanks! I've bookmarked that screen. That is awesomely bright, and I don't want to look like an X1 clone (Not that I'm going to get to their level anyways), but The brightness of that screen alone may be worth it.

I have looked at the 4d systems LCD's. Those look great, and interface pretty decently with the Parallax. It also comes with the driver already built in.

As far as the script kiddie part. That's why open source rocks. I've taken people scripts, as I firmly believe there is no point in making your own unless the options are ridiculous. Usually I grab what someone has already done, and I enhance upon it. Most of the times I get so into it, the I soon find I pretty much code it based off of what they did, but end up not using much of their code. They still get credit though. I'm no hater.

Yes, I'm aware of the OSDC, and I'm still researching it. I'm questioning some of their interpretations of the GNU license. Also, it's very hardware specific as it is designed mostly in Assembly. That may be the route I take when I decide i just want to buy one, but I'm still not sure about it.

Thanks!
D(B)
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

PS The driver seems to be on the board. It's Parallel/Serial Driven.