what car would make a good dive car? yes-- this is gear :)

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
babs13
Dive-aholic

what car would make a good dive car? yes-- this is gear :)

Post by babs13 »

which kind of cars [not truck] would make a good dive car and to the slopes in the winter?
Last edited by babs13 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Step 1: I have a diving problem.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: what car would a good dive car? yes-- this is gear.

Post by LCF »

If I didn't have to drive over Snoqualmie Pass all winter, I'd own a Honda Element, like Bob's. I think that's about the neatest vehicle for dive gear I've seen yet.

My Audi station wagon doesn't do badly, either, but nothing that's going to haul dive gear should have the rear compartment carpeted.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: what car would make a good dive car? yes-- this is gear :)

Post by Sounder »

What is wrong with a small truck? It doesn't have to be a full-size truck and if you got a 4x4, a little weight in the bed would get you over the pass no problem.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I would suggest any type of hatch back. Like a Subaru, or Scion XB or other. I have for Scion Xb's for my business and have dove out of them many times with ease. just need a rubber mat if you don't have a truck
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I would cast another vote for an Honda element. For me its not just the rubber floor mats/hosability, spaciousness, honda reliability, etc... at my height I just fit in the thing really well... which is a rarity. The seats and mirrors and everything are just in the placed right for my frame.

However my wife doesn't feel as comfortable in it so we're probably going to go with a small pickup or a subaru eventually. Something she fits in and feels safe with... yet I can totally crap up with wet gear... and still only own one car.

What's wrong with your current car? Its pretty much a mini SUV and looks perfect for hauling gear around.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i love my subaru outback. drive really well, good gas mileage, two divers and their gear hauled easily, all wheel drive, and a rubber mat in the back keeps the carpet dry.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: what car would a good dive car? yes-- this is gear.

Post by Grateful Diver »

LCF wrote:If I didn't have to drive over Snoqualmie Pass all winter, I'd own a Honda Element, like Bob's. I think that's about the neatest vehicle for dive gear I've seen yet.

My Audi station wagon doesn't do badly, either, but nothing that's going to haul dive gear should have the rear compartment carpeted.
The Elements after about 2005 are AWD ... which would make them great vehicles for driving over Snoqualmie Pass as well as great dive vehicles.

One of the best things I like about mine is gas mileage. For an SUV, it's fantastic ... last road trip I bothered to track it, I got about 28 mpg.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I loved my Eurovan. I could easily carry all my dive gear, two dogs, and two people and still have room. But alas, gas mileage sucked. So we got a new Subaru Forester which has been fantastic! Had to get a cargo box for when I travel with the family but for just diving it rocks! Plenty of room for 2 divers and all their gear even when I'm instructing (which, of course, means I carry a tad more gear), and still great gas mileage. The Outback is used by many divers as well.
I've become a Subaru fan after reading about their environmental policies. It's a good company for a car manufacturer. Honda is as well. I like the looks of the Element (especially Bob's) but have never driven one-my wife did and didn't like it much-visibility issues for her-she's kind of short.
Good luck. Car hunting can be a pain.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Another vote for the Element. We have an '07 and really like the car. It was originally purchased as a dog friendly car, however it makes a fantastic dive vehicle. Gas mileage is good on the road, but in town is a disappointment. Bob
Life is good, let's dive!!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I love my 2001 4/Runner, BbbleMkr's 2006 AWD Element! Both are great in the snow, camping, and for diving. Her Element gets better mileage than mine, but I do need a tow vehicle, which the Element isn't. Good luck!
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

You would probably want something hatch-back and AWD...

Think Subaru, Audi all road etc.

Personally I hate hatch-backs I just don't like the look. We've been transporting a lot of gear in my gf's 06 330XI nothing wet but it holds 5 tanks and both our dive gear easily. I would just think with it being wet gear put it into the not so tall bins and throw it in the trunk.

For skiing make sure it has a ski bag boot thing in the trunk. It's that big leather condom looking thing that you slide your skis into and it extends out into the salon of the car but keeps all the moisture out because its technically in a water tight bag.

As for driving to the pass it's AWD with a 80-20 preference until it knows you're slipping then something like 60-40.

Nice advice guys "what car" ...Honda Element ...that's like "well my Hummer H1 diesel is great for holding all my gear and going up to the pass and it's like having 2 cars in one you should totally get it". :axe:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Alex wrote:Nice advice guys "what car" ...Honda Element ...that's like "well my Hummer H1 diesel is great for holding all my gear and going up to the pass and it's like having 2 cars in one you should totally get it". :axe:
i have no idea what that means...

... but I rented I rented an Element for the club dive weekend, and I have to say, it was pretty freaking awesome for schlepping gear and not a bad ride at all. Easy to park, good visibility out the windows, and it accomodated my height and long legs nicely. (I realize that's not so much of an issue for you, though :bootyshake: )

What don't you like about your current ride?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Alex wrote:Nice advice guys "what car" ...Honda Element ...that's like "well my Hummer H1 diesel is great for holding all my gear and going up to the pass and it's like having 2 cars in one you should totally get it". :axe:
i really don't get what you're saying here. what's wrong with a honda element?
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

IT's NOT A CAR IT's AN SUV!!!! - hehe :la:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

The Honda Element is a car as far as I'm concerned. In my opinion, a vehicle has to be on a truck-frame to be a true SUV.
Phineas Gage

Post by Phineas Gage »

Those new Hummer H3T trucks look interesting. Drool.

IMHO, a truck with a lockable camper shell can't be beat for diving. You have a nice tailgate for gearing up, and when your stuff is all wet and sandy you don't have to worry about it dripping all over your interior when it's in the bed of a truck.

I've seen a cool bed slider tray hand-customized for diving too, with tank holders on the sides. Cool idea. Don't know the guys name, but I saw his set up out at Edmond OD last year. Really classy.

If gas mileage is a priority, get a little Ford Ranger or equivalent. 4WD has better resale value even if you don't plan on using it much.
Metal man
Aquaphile

Post by Metal man »

I'll jump on the wagon here and say go for anything with a hatchback, preferably one you can stand under while it's raining.
Gabe ~D.I.A.W.Y.C. Diver
Alex
Aquaphile

Post by Alex »

Also, I guess another good question to ask would be "what's your budget?".
JimmyEis
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JimmyEis »

My PT Crusier does a good job hauling scuba gear.

I just fold up the back seats and have a rubber mat for the back. It has a nice big hatchback which you can stand up under.

It also doubles nicely as a dog hauler
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

What about an El Camino?! It's a car, it'd haul your gear perfectly, and it's a total chick-magnet!! :rr: The Subaru Baja would be a more updated version of the same idea, but WAY less cool.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

The Subaru Baja would be an update of the Subaru Brat..... Rumor has it that GM wants to bring the El Camino back at some point.
The best dive rig that I've seen is the Honda Ridgeline. Crappy mileage for a 6 banger, but the lockable "trunk" in the composite bed is huge!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Phineas Gage

Post by Phineas Gage »

Find a retired ambulance and start a conversion project Babs. =D>
Big enough to change in, plenty of storage space, and hey...install a compressor in there too.
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

School bus. Remove the seats.
Phineas Gage

Post by Phineas Gage »

laivindil wrote:School bus. Remove the seats.
Awesome. Short or Long?
Personally, I'd go for the short bus 'cause it has the nifty hydraulic ramp for lifting gear.

That and it would remind me of my childhood. #-o
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Phineas Gage wrote:
laivindil wrote:School bus. Remove the seats.
Awesome. Short or Long?
Personally, I'd go for the short bus 'cause it has the nifty hydraulic ramp for lifting gear.

That and it would remind me of my childhood. #-o
Either. Lots 'o dive buddies? Long. Also good for extended trips when retrofitted with beds, toilets and kitchenettes.

Only a couple dive buddies? Short. Saves on gas and it's easier to park!

That rear overhang would make launching a boat at some of the more gently sloping boat launches a cinch.