Pelican Cases or other for storing scuba gear

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
epuffy
Just Settling In

Pelican Cases or other for storing scuba gear

Post by epuffy »

I'm starting to accumulate more crap in my trunk so i'm thinking to get a case of some sort to store all my gear rather than let it fly around in my trunk.

Is there a popular brand, size, etc that scuba people use? I know Pelican cases are popular with the offroad crowd, any other options or popular sizes out there?
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

If you are just looking for storage in the trunk or from the car to the garage, I would think about those big Costco bins with the integral tops. They are about yay by yay by yay (visualize my hands at 2 feet apart side to side then 1 1/2 feet apart front and back and then 1/1/2 feet up and down) and the top folds down to close it fairly securely. Plus, you can stack them as needed and they are out of the way. You can get just about everything in them but your tanks and I would also skip the weights. They are cheap and easily washable.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I have a pelican case but I never use it. We all use big bins, as rcontrera mentioned. I got mine from Home Depot. They're good to carry stuff in, especially when its all wet.
epuffy
Just Settling In

Post by epuffy »

but the Pelican cases are so cool... they're watertight and indestructable in case a shark tries to attack my truck and mess up my gear. I have a Pelican 1700 that I put on my roof rack... it's for storing a rifle that I don't have. :toimonster:
Last edited by epuffy on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i have a big duffel bag (patagonia stellar black hole) that holds much of my stuff, and a separate bag that holds my bpw and regs ... but i think i will also get a big plastic bin like everyone says - just for taking the wet stuff home and rinsing it off, seems like a "neat" way to go.
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

PataGucci, Pelican & Gabbana, what's next?!

E, I won't make fun of you when you pull up with your sword.... er, Navy Seal-tested dive knife in your pelican case strapped to your extreme roof rack :violent3:

(I get to make fun of him, since he's my designated n00b)
epuffy
Just Settling In

Post by epuffy »

haha.. i like my big sharp knife man!

Actually, I was with some Navy divers this weekend at Ocean shores and they said they can give me some dive stuff if I want... are there any cool Navy diver things I should ask for?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

One of the best pieces of advice GD gave me when we first met was to get the big rubbermaid bin, but get one with wheels on one end of it. It sure makes dragging your gear around easier. That way you're not carrying your gear nor are your requiring help to carry it.

I think I got ours at Fred Meyer for $19.99 or something? What A Gonga!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Calvin Tang wrote: We all use big bins, as rcontrera mentioned. I got mine from Home Depot.
Dude....which Home Depot you shop at?

:la:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

epuffy wrote:haha.. i like my big sharp knife man!

Actually, I was with some Navy divers this weekend at Ocean shores and they said they can give me some dive stuff if I want... are there any cool Navy diver things I should ask for?

"Give?" :smt119 Take whatever you can get!
If you don't need it, you can share the wealth!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I'm going to be getting the one(Rubbermaid)with wheels on one end also.

I have a big blue one now(no wheels) and it is great to use for rinsing as well as storage / transport.

I was thinking about getting a Large Resin type, two wheel, bin. Like the ones you see at the Marinas.
You know? the big tub with large wheels in the center?

Could be used for the longer hauls like Sunny Side or Sun Rise.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

epuffy wrote:haha.. i like my big sharp knife man!

yeah; dude - take it all. well, get something for me and then take the rest. ;-) don't you think they'd want you to share all of that goodness with a nice cute girl like me? if i were you, i'd see if you could get a bottom timer out of them ... and then ... clothing. seriously. stuff to wear under your drysuit. :-)

and for the bins, you can get those anywhere - fred meyer will have some, and wal-mart (if you're not opposed to shopping there) generally has lots. i'm guessing either of those will be cheaper than home despot.
my FLICKR photo sets
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

don't you think they'd want you to share all of that goodness with a nice cute girl like me? .[/quote]

Well, Well, TLG?
How would your Avitar compare to Calvin's?
Or,
If your Avitar was Calvins you might get some free stuff!

Personally, I think I'm kind of Sexy in My oversized Mobbys Dry Suit!
:laughing3:
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i had to make sure you weren't referring to that horse avatar he had up before ... whew! but anyway, i think i referred to myself as "a nice cute girl" - not "a loose tall skinny busomy model" ... and if "you guys" are going to try to hold "us gals" to those so-called standards, you're going to find yourself in a world of rather lonely hurt when we turn the tables ... [-X
:bootyshake: :la:
my FLICKR photo sets
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I think you're a handsome man Bassman, :rr: especially in your oversized drysuit - it brings our your eyes.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

thelawgoddess wrote:i had to make sure you weren't referring to that horse avatar he had up before ... whew! but anyway, i think i referred to myself as "a nice cute girl" - not "a loose tall skinny busomy model" ... and if "you guys" are going to try to hold "us gals" to those so-called standards, you're going to find yourself in a world of rather lonely hurt when we turn the tables ... [-X
:bootyshake: :la:

[ Nailer falls to the ground and does the "combat crawl" away from general area as fast as he can, trying to put as much distance between himself and Bassman as he can]

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

donning flack-jacket and helmet.

"In this corner, weighing in at 210 pounds...we have Bassman!!!" :smt035 "and in this corner, weighing in at... uh, I dunno... we have TLG!!! :bounce: " Scheduled for 3 rounds... :boxing:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

=D>
Well Said LG, I will walk away and accept defeat to a Battle I am not willing to get into.
(Bassman backing up carefully with a boyish grin on his face)
:notworthy:
"Nice Cute girl" is a Good thing!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

uh-huh, uh-huh ... that's what i thought! :laughing3:
you're allowed to lust after whatever you want, and i can't fault you for thinking a certain kind of girl is hot; just don't go maligning the rest of us.
we're not called catty for no reason ... and most of us do bite. Image

umm ... what was this thread about? Image
my FLICKR photo sets
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

thelawgoddess wrote:

It was about puppies. I think puppies are cute. Anybody else here like puppies? \:D/

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Nailer99 wrote:
thelawgoddess wrote:

It was about puppies. I think puppies are cute. Anybody else here like puppies? \:D/
:laughing3:

Yeah, I do have to say - I am the hottest avatar around here. :evil4:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm noticing a steady decline in the overall quality of Calvin's avatars.... :vom:

thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

yeah; that one is REALLY SCARY!!!
my FLICKR photo sets
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Nailer99 wrote:I'm noticing a steady decline in the overall quality of Calvin's avatars.... :vom:
Um, Calvin? Is there anything you'd like to share with us?......

:smt064

-Valerie
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Exactly how many holes can one put in their body?!