Undergarment thickness

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Undergarment thickness

Post by sunnydude »

My search for a drysuit has resulted in me anxiously awaiting UPS to get here on the 20th. \:D/ Now to get an undergarment. The suit I got is a DUI CF200. The seller of the suit emailed me to let me know he has a 400g DUI undergarment. Is that going to be too warm? Remember I am one diving in these frigid waters lately in a 7mm wet suit. :bootyshake: So, should I try to find a thinner, less insulating one so I can layer up or would this one work year round?

Any comments are appreciated. :hello2:
Sean
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Re: Undergarment thickness

Post by Aquanautchuck »

If his price is good then get it. For the warmer months you can get away with just a set of REI thermals. By the way, you got a great suit. I love my CF200.
Charles
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I've never worn a neoprene suit before but even in the summer around here I always wear a thick undergarment. I can't say I've ever been too warm under water in Puget Sound.

However I've sweat so much getting into the water during the warm months (month?) that I thought I had a drysuit leak ;)

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

With my bare 4mil I wear a Pinnacle extreem Polar fleece and if it's too cold you can add thermals under it. A 400 would be OK for winter but probably to heavy for summer use.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I used a DUI Thinsulate Ultra (400) for one dive. I found it had way too much material in the butt area, and required a lot more weight than I normally dove with to overcome its overall loftiness. I returned it, disappointed. I now use a Northern Diver Metalux 300 in the winter, which is just as warm, but much better fitting, and I add only two extra pounds to compensate for its loftiness. Good luck!!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I'm amazed no one has started waving the weezle flag in this thread :dontknow:

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

With the CF200 the weezle is two warm for me. unless i am in the high lakes were its under 40F. IT is a very warm suit. if the price is good and money is not a problem get it. or just try using layers of fleece form the discount store if money is a problem after getting the suit. this way you can gage what works before you buy a 1 piece.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Warmth is all over the map but in general I'd say in the winter around here you can't dress too warm most of the time. If you are a warm person you may get by with less. I'm skinny, do well in cold air when active like skiing, and do poorly in the Sound (mostly inactive). I wear 4 (yes 4) thin layers, a 300gm fleece, and a 5ml compressed neoprene suit. In the winter I add another wool long john bottom and a fleece vest.

BTW, use and washing will even compress that or any fleece over time and make it less effective.
And with all the snow, cold weather, and fresh cold water dumping into the Sound we have the making of a cold winter. Last year was the coldest I've seen in 14 years of diving. This one is rapidly moving to match it.

I can't believe we still have a few people in our club that dive wet.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

Thanks guys! I will just wait until the suit arrives and then try it with some fleece that I have for fishing and snowmobiling and see what thickness I need. Will update this when I get it figured out.
Sean
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

Well the suit arrived today. Although it is used I don't see any repairs on it and the seals appear to be in excellent shape.

The suit definately is a trimmer fit when compared to the shell suits I have tried on. Will have to play around and see how thick I can go.

As Sockmonkey said to me in a pm, "we will just look for the orange cone underwater", well that is true. The suit is reddish orange but happy to have one. :)

Now to figure out the boot issue. There wasn't mention that these had neoprene feet with hard rubber sole. Am i to just attach fins and not worry about boots?
Sean
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

I have a CF200 and I wear a Weezle Extreme underneath. Now, I have only one dive on the Weezle, but I was quite comfy. I also don't move around a lot underwater, though, so your mileage may vary.

My suit had those damn turbosoles on it when I got it. Besides the fact that they were for size 27 feet, they worked fine to cram into my XXL Turtle Fins. But I hated how big they were, so I sent it out to have neoprene socks put on, and I bought Bare rock boot-equivalents and 3XL Turtles. Happy as a clam now! (Although the happiness of clams has yet to be accurately and scientifically measured-as you can imagine, it's all anecdotal with bivalves.)

Try the turbosoles-if you don't like 'em, you can always change them out.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

scottsax wrote:. Happy as a clam now! (Although the happiness of clams has yet to be accurately and scientifically measured-as you can imagine, it's all anecdotal with bivalves.)
:laughing3:

Glad to see you found a suit that fits, sunnydude, excellent choice!

I'll reiterate what others have said - undergarment thickness and warmth levels are very personal, and the only way you can find out is to try it. Newer divers tend to be in motion a lot, which warms you up a bit, but as you get more experience and settle down you may find yourself getting colder faster.

Bright colored suits rock! I miss my lime green monstrosity. :)
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Like I said before, I kinda like the color! Looks like you got a great suit at an even better price! Congratulations. Now your wife will never be able to get you out of the water!
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

Don' t know if this helps...

But I saw a Weezle + for sale at Hoodsport N Dive on Saturday. Think it was $350?
Saw several Whites MK2's for $120.
Saw just one Whites MK3 on the sale rack, but didn't see a price. This one is VERY thick/bouyant/warm. With the butt zip. :) I bought mine from this earlier in the summer on sale for $112, but I don't know how much they are sellign this last one for. SO if you get cold and a weezle is outta your price range, you can ask Ron what he is asking for the MK3.

Hope this helps!
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924