Speaking of doubles

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Speaking of doubles

Post by sparky »

Well I finaly broke down and bought my wing for my Dive Rite Trans Pack
I am going to be diving the Dive Rite Rec Wing . I decided to go with the Rec Wing because it will do my Stael E 119s single as well as my AL 80s when I decide to go to doubles just unhook the bungies and your good to rock I for one like the idea of one wing to do both jobs.

And speaking of doubles I am a little confused I was looking at tank bands and I guess im missing something the bands I was checking out are 7.25 SS bands from Highland Mill Works but when I measured my Al 80s they are a little biger then that around

How do you figure out what sise bands you need to double up a pair of AL 80s I know this is going to be something realy simple thats why I am missing it.

So what gives what am I missing here?

thanks guys
Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

hey sparky, from what research i've done on tanks, i think that the standard diameter for aluminum 80's is 7.25 inches. do you maybe have "non-standard" tanks? in any case, i think you just need to measure the diameter of your tanks and that's the size bands you need.
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The tanks are 7.25" diameter (nominal). Don't worry, the highland bands will fit, just make sure you get the right model for your manifold. The shop should ask you brand and possibly age (esp. if its a dive rite you'll be using).

I had a rec wing for about two years, then it went to ebay. There are 2 issues with them IMO. 1 they come with an insanely long inflator hose which has an integrated pull dump. Neither being recommended for technical diving.

2nd the inflator hose attaches off center which required me to roll just a bit to dump. Which, esp. when I was starting doubles, wasn't so comfortable.

Personally, having a specially made wing for singles and another for doubles is really the way to go. Despite the bungie the rec wing is a bit flappy for a single. Lately, I have been much impressed with DSS.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

hey thanks for the info

I think I will be hapy wih my wing I have been looking to get one for a while now. I know that I will need to get one wing to do doubles and a nother for single tank diving before to long, but as i am a diver on budget
I have to work with I can aford at present.

I am still not sure which tank bands and manafold I want yet but I will keep you posted as i go

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I loved those integrated pull dumps for years. Never had one seperate, guess I got nervous after hearing about some people's issues with them. The thought of pulling my BC hose off underwater and losing all positive buoyancy is scary.