I got the leaky mask blues

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

I got the leaky mask blues

Post by Penopolypants »

My beloved mask has turned into the Leakmaster 3000....not because of the fit, but because the frame is separating from the glass. It's pretty substantial on one side, just beginning on the other.
CIMG2679.jpg
My attempts to repair this with aquaseal have failed. Does anyone have another glue option that I should be trying, or some specific technique?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Re: I got the leaky mask blues

Post by BASSMAN »

:dontknow:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

What kind of mask is it? Some of the more pricey ones have a lifetime warranty. Otherwise, try some silicone adhesive maybe?
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I'd send it back to the manufacture!
K
"Let's go diving!"
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Nwbrewer wrote:What kind of mask is it? Some of the more pricey ones have a lifetime warranty. Otherwise, try some silicone adhesive maybe?
It's an Atomic Aquatics frameless. Hm...they say on their website that the subframe version has a lifetime warranty, and that they use silicone adhesive on the frameless. I guess it's time to make some phone calls!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Let us know what they say, I love that mask! I'd hate to have to replace it.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

I want to know who carries these masks in stock so I can try one on. I like the idea but want to know the mask fits me.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

selkie wrote:I want to know who carries these masks in stock so I can try one on. I like the idea but want to know the mask fits me.
I got mine from UWS in Seattle. Where are you located?

I called them today and was told that it had a one year warranty. However, they said if I could find my receipt I could send it back and they would probably replace it. I'll let y'all know.
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

selkie wrote:I want to know who carries these masks in stock so I can try one on. I like the idea but want to know the mask fits me.
NWSD in Kenmore has both the subframe and the frameless.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

A2Z in Puyallup carries them also.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Penopolypants wrote:I called them today and was told that it had a one year warranty. However, they said if I could find my receipt I could send it back and they would probably replace it. I'll let y'all know.
Check to see if UWS has a record of the sale. That should work.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well this might sound crazy but what about the sealant used to make fish tanks?? just an idea but I wonder how it would hold up under pressure.
Jeff Castor
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

pogiguy05 wrote:Well this might sound crazy but what about the sealant used to make fish tanks?? just an idea but I wonder how it would hold up under pressure.
Aquarium sealant is just clear silicone adhesive. P, I have some if you want to try it.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Nwbrewer wrote:Aquarium sealant is just clear silicone adhesive. P, I have some if you want to try it.
Not _entirely_ true, but usually close enough.

Many silicones from the hardware store cure in a manner that gives off some irritating chemicals - mostly acetic acid (vinegar.) Aquarium sealants generally have very low, or non-existant levels of acetic acid released. With exposure to the sensitive mucus membranes of the eyes, unless you're sure of the characteristics of the silicone, you might want to use the labelled aquarium silicone...

The other advantage is that it comes in much smaller tubes than most of the stuff from the hardware store. I can't really see using a caulk gun to seal a mask, but that's just me. #-o

On the other hand, unless it's some really expensive custom lens for vision correction, masks are one of the cheap items in diving...why not just replace it?
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

On the other hand, unless it's some really expensive custom lens for vision correction, masks are one of the cheap items in diving...why not just replace it?
did you not read the part about when she said " her beloved" have you know idea how women work man?? :la:
Jeff Castor
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

did you not read the part about when she said " her beloved" have you know idea how women work man?? :la:[/quote]

Not a clue. I gave up years ago trying. Everytime I think I have it they change the rules on me. ](*,)

Ducking fast for cover.
Charles
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

I just tried the same mask on at Northwest Sport Divers. Very nice mask, when I am ready to retire my OW mask to backup duty that is the mask I intend to get.
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

pogiguy05 wrote: did you not read the part about when she said " her beloved" have you know idea how women work man?? :la:
Oh oops. In that case I might be a bit of a girly man... because when my mask broke recently I nearly cried as if my mom took away my blue blanky :crybaby:

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

buy a new mask and be happy that the cheapest part of diving broke, dah. Don't get your p-pants in a bundle :boxing:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

camerone wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:Aquarium sealant is just clear silicone adhesive. P, I have some if you want to try it.
Not _entirely_ true, but usually close enough.

Many silicones from the hardware store cure in a manner that gives off some irritating chemicals - mostly acetic acid (vinegar.) Aquarium sealants generally have very low, or non-existant levels of acetic acid released. With exposure to the sensitive mucus membranes of the eyes, unless you're sure of the characteristics of the silicone, you might want to use the labelled aquarium silicone...

The other advantage is that it comes in much smaller tubes than most of the stuff from the hardware store. I can't really see using a caulk gun to seal a mask, but that's just me. #-o

Thanks Camerone, I should have been more clear. I have a tube of aquarium sealant (not HD big tube silicone) if you want to try it. Camerone is right, it stops stinking much faster than regular construction silicone sealant or adhesive.

Jake
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Maverick wrote:buy a new mask and be happy that the cheapest part of diving broke, dah. Don't get your p-pants in a bundle :boxing:
i don't what kind of mask you're wearing, or how much you got suckered into paying for the rest of your gear, but i can tell you that my mask is not the cheapest part of my rig.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I'm with Spatman, this isn't the cheapest part of my gear. Plus, I like fixing broken things. Why create another unnecessary piece of trash?

I went to back to the shop but they didn't have a record of the sale, and I still can't find mine. I think I actually have some aquarium glue somewhere in my supply closet, but if not I will gladly take you up on that offer, Jake. Thanks!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I think mine was 60 bucks a Mares X-vision
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

I would call Atomic directly. The warranty is "Lifetime". The 1 year warranty is not from Atomic. The issue that Atomic may have is the DIY glue job.

I have the mask and mine has held up great!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

blackwater wrote:I would call Atomic directly. The warranty is "Lifetime". The 1 year warranty is not from Atomic. The issue that Atomic may have is the DIY glue job.

I have the mask and mine has held up great!
That was from a direct call to Atomic. The subframe does have a lifetime warranty, but this is the frameless, which has a 1 year warranty.