Any NW Wet Divers?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
jlehigh
Frequent Bubbler

Any NW Wet Divers?

Post by jlehigh »

I'm in my first year diving and have been diving with a 7mm/12mm O'Neil semi-dry wetsuit. I plan to pick-up a drysuit at some point but I was curious if any other divers in the club/on the board dive wetsuits in the winter months up here and have any tips/tricks for keeping warm or personal depth limits/durations before you get the chills.

So far I love diving wet, but I know things will change once the ambient temps drop below the 40's..
Hermit "D" Crab
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

*tumbleweed rolls by*
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'm kidding :smt064

Plenty of divers start out wet around here. Sure, it gets a little colder when you go deeper but there's no rule of thumb. It has more to do with currents and the time of year, imho. Most people move on to a drysuit once they can afford it and when they start getting cold due to the natural relaxation of gaining experience and controlling air consumption. Most people I know can't go back to a wet suit once they've gone dry. I do like the simplicity of a wetsuit in the tropics though (no inflation and not much of a buoyancy swing in the thinner suits). I have 3 wetsuits but they are all for temperate to warm waters.

I can think of a few divers here who dive wet: epuffy, cuppie, sargent pepper, to name a few.
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

I started diving in March, and I felt that was pretty cold still.. I am in a wetsuit and I am fine. Try using wool socks.. Once my feet are warm the rest of me follows suit. And bring warm water in a cooler to pour on you during your SIT time... I usually got coldest waiting out long sits... I wasn't diving really deep though.. no more than 70' You can always get a dive skin and wear it under your wetsuit. My buddy who gets really cold anyway (and is probably going to go dry soon) wears one under his suit now even though I think it's warm enough... Hope that helps.. Holly
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I enjoy diving wet, but have purchased a dry suit. I fear that once I dive dry, I won't go back either.

One of the reasons I desire a dry suit outside of the warmth consideration is that once I get into a cold-water wetsuit, I feel like gumby, every effort I make (arm movement, every step, etc) feels like I'm a walking bo-flex machine as I'm always battling the neoprene. By the time I hit the water I was exhausted! All the while I'm watching dry divers walk around in and out of gear, BSing, etc and I'm DYING over here! Lastly, simply donning the thick wetsuit takes a ton of energy and fatigued me even before the dive.

Mrs. Sounder did her OW in a wetsuit and darn-near swore off diving all together. If it wasn't for an AMAZING DM :prayer: on the boat for her 2nd day of diving, she'd be a land-lubber for sure. He had the hot water ready for her suit and hot soup and chocolate for her tummy when she came out and kept it coming. He alone is the reason she was able to enjoy Sunrise and Zee's Reef that day. She swore off cold water wet diving since... her dry suit will be here Saturday!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
jlehigh
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jlehigh »

Sounder, our wives have that experince in common.. She HATES putting on/off and wearing her wetsuit and it almost kept her out of the water.. I admit, it does take effort and energy to use the wetsuit. Fortunately my wetsuit is very pliable, so once I'm in, my mobility is pretty good.
Hermit "D" Crab
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

It really depends on your personal comfort level. I was able to dive all winter long for the first 2 years I dove, doing 2 or 3 dives in a day quite often. I ended up doing more than 200 dives in a wetsuit before going dry and only once did I call a dive because I was cold. Most of the time I was diving with drysuit divers and doing fairly long dives (50-70 min). And yes it was cold but still doable. Others I know would have quit diving here almost immediately after certifying if they had to dive wet all the time.
If you can, just try it as the water temps and air temps get colder and see how it goes. The tricks I learned were to have hot water for gloves and hoods (still do that in the winter even with the drysuit). Maybe pour some warm water down your wetsuit also (did that when diving Neah Bay). And wear socks if there's room in your booties. My feet would usually be the coldest body part when I got out of the water. And my hands would be a close second. I tried wearing liners under my wetsuit gloves but didn't think they helped much-others swear by them. I got those packet hand warmers and would use them in between dives sometimes. Stay warm between dives-hat and gloves especially make a difference and a warm, dry, windproof coat. Get out of the weather between dives if you can-getting warmed up in your vehicle really helps.
Good luck.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I started diving in Sep of 201 and I am still useing my wet suit
I have made over 140 dives in this thing and it is just now starting to show

thinking about going to a dry suit but more for the ease of diving a time or two then going for lunch and getting back in to a dry suit is so much beter then trying to wiggle in to a wet wet suit

but it can be done
Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Any NW Wet Divers?

Post by Tom Nic »

jlehigh wrote:So far I love diving wet, but I know things will change once the ambient temps drop below the 40's..
Resistance is futile. You too will be assimilated... :rr:
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

I really enjoy these wetsuit threads. I don't want to go all "back in the day" here but when I first learned to dive the wetsuit was your only choice for these waters. I remember my Harvey 1/4" suit with the beaver tail crotch snaps. It had this spine wrinkle that when I moved my arms shot ice water from my neck to my waist. Oh YEAH!! #-o

I dive wet. Partially because of the expense of going dry but mostly because the previously mentioned negatives don't bother me that much. I usually can defeat the nastier negatives by technique. Warm water, stay out of the weather, leave the wetsuit (6mm farmer john) bottoms on, stay above 70' and other stuff.

Also, I've seen more than a few drysuit guys battling their suit seals, leaks, choosing under garments, treating zippers, tweaking buoyancy and writing big checks. For me, I'll go another hundred dives wet and probably go dry sometime after that. I should have gotten my $250. worth out of my wetsuit by then.

Sea ya!
jlehigh
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jlehigh »

Good stuff All. So how much warm water are you guys/gals taking with you for a day of diving?

I have my eyes on a purdy DUI-custom, but I think it will take me being uncomfortable to the point of limiting my enjoyment of diving before switching from my wet-suit. So far I've liked it allot, and it adds zero complication to my dives with virtually no risk of it complicating life underwater..

Maybe this will be one of those threads I look back on a few yrs from now and laugh ;)

Have the wet-folks found that wearing thin insulated underlayers help or hinder? I have "hot chilis" I wear snowboarding and I tried them during on my checkout dives.. I think they may help, but then again when they are wet and you remove the upper jacket portion of the wet-suit you get some chills..
Hermit "D" Crab
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

I usually bring a cooler filled with hot water if I can fit it in the truck. It stays hot for days in a good cooler and there is nothing nicer than a pitcher or two down the old back on a cold day. I also have a dive skin that I wear under my suit for the colder days. Not to much help in the water but a little help inbetween dives.. I hope that helps!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Re: Any NW Wet Divers?

Post by thelawgoddess »

jlehigh wrote:I'm in my first year diving and have been diving with a 7mm/12mm O'Neil semi-dry wetsuit. I plan to pick-up a drysuit at some point but I was curious if any other divers in the club/on the board dive wetsuits in the winter months up here and have any tips/tricks for keeping warm or personal depth limits/durations before you get the chills.

So far I love diving wet, but I know things will change once the ambient temps drop below the 40's..
yeah; like you see - it's a very personal thing. i did my class in july and was dumb cold shivering with a 7+7mm wetsuit. i would get so cold i literally couldn't think straight, but for the greater safety of all involved, i quickly learned to call dives before i got to that point. and while i was amazed at how much i could "stand" being wet and cold (given how much i absolutely hate being cold and espcially wet AND cold), what i hated most was how long it took me to "warm up" after the dive. if i was doing a 2nd dive there was definitely a residual coldness. it didn't take me long to get a drysuit. i still bring my wetsuit as a backup, and i hope i never have to use it again for a very long time - but i would if it meant the difference between going diving and not going diving.

i love getting out of the water ... and NOT shivering. it is so, so very nice. and now ... i dream about not having wet hands ...
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

jlehigh wrote:
I have my eyes on a purdy DUI-custom,
Just to throw this out: There are some mighty fine drysuits out ther for less than half of what a DUI custom will run ya. I'm very happy with my USIA (after some initial teething pains) and it cost me right about 1200$, I think. Apollo and Northern Diver make a nice neoprene, too, I hear, for a reasonable cost. I'm not sure I can ever see myself spending 4-5000$ on a DUI, actually.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Gravity Zero makes great suits too for very good prices... they're quite comperable to the DUI customs. PM me if you'd like more information.

I am experiencing the growing pains already too Nailer - and I've yet to get mine wet!!! I never thought trying to tie my shoes would be so tough!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Nailer99 wrote: Just to throw this out: There are some mighty fine drysuits out ther for less than half of what a DUI custom will run ya. I'm very happy with my USIA (after some initial teething pains) and it cost me right about 1200$, I think. Apollo and Northern Diver make a nice neoprene, too, I hear, for a reasonable cost. I'm not sure I can ever see myself spending 4-5000$ on a DUI, actually.
me, too, nailer! i have this thing about buying single items that cost more than the car i'm driving. i don't. i'd definitetly have to get a new car first! #-o so far i am quite happy with my bare nex-gen pro (bi-lam), and it cost me half of what nailer's suit cost him. of course, mine's a stock suit and doesn't fit like a tailored glove ... but i can't afford that luxury right now. i thought about waiting until i could afford something "nicer" but i'm glad i didn't. just diving dry is so nice i don't care if i look like i'm wearing a goofy-looking black bag! :-)
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I also dive in a next-gen. I think I paid 600 with boots and fleece. Let me know when you need a new or used car lawgoddess. I can get you a great deal on practically anything you want.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

jlehigh wrote:
Have the wet-folks found that wearing thin insulated underlayers help or hinder? I have "hot chilis" I wear snowboarding and I tried them during on my checkout dives.. I think they may help, but then again when they are wet and you remove the upper jacket portion of the wet-suit you get some chills..

I tried diving wet with every thing from Tee shirts to long johns on under my wet suit and I have found that by just a pair of boxers on under my wet suit i stay not only warmer but more comfortabule during my dives

makes sence to me as your body heats the water between you and the swet suit any thing you place between you and the wet suit will alow a little chill to exist

I never have a problem with cold during a dive though
in fact I have a hard time staying cool. it is not uncomon to see me swiming along with no hood or my wet suit top unziped about half way

in the winter and summer month both I over heat real fast for some reson

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

sparky wrote:
jlehigh wrote:
in the winter and summer month both I over heat real fast for some reson

Sparky
:rr: Sparky, I think we overheat because we are such svelte, skinny dudes! Or else our overwhelming brain power comes out in heat units and is not easily dissipated. :book:
Last edited by Tom Nic on Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I found the same thing last time I dove Sparky - I was chasing crabs and ended up taking my hood off and stuffing it in my backplate. Then I unzipped my jacket some and tried to get cold water into my gloves... I was over heating big time. Chasing those little buggas is hard work!
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

I dive wet. I do get cold occasionally, but I avoid the dry suit because of the cost at the moment. I'm an engineer, and $1200 goes down the throat like a 10 lb hairball. I hear that everyone converts when winter time hits. I'll let you know around December! \:D/
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Sounder wrote:I found the same thing last time I dove Sparky - I was chasing crabs and ended up taking my hood off and stuffing it in my backplate. Then I unzipped my jacket some and tried to get cold water into my gloves... I was over heating big time. Chasing those little buggas is hard work!

I know what you mean BRO
I grew up in Ohio and trust me 42 degrees is NOT COLD AT ALL it is just about right .

I have to chuckle at every one that sayes OH its to cold to dive in the winter time around here

I can rember lots of times last winter when it was warmer in the water then it was on shore

but Hey thats just me I like it cool

FYI
Did you know your body will heat up faster then it will Cool down ?

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Well so far - in all of my 7 dives - I've only used a 7mil - have been hot by the end of every dive - but then winter isn't here yet; and, I haven't done any boat dives yet........

Hey Sparky - where in Ohio did you grow up? I'm out of Akron.
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I dive dry only because I got a deal on a used Dry Suit ( ya thats right , I said it,) it has done well for me and Im sure I will need a new one, eventually. It is a Mobbys XXL - XXXL and it is a little too big, but when I'm in the water and all the air is out I have no problem with it.
I stay Dry,Warm and is easy to put on and off. I would have no problem buying another used dry suit if the time comes out of necessity. But if its just for my personal preference of an upgrade, I will Buy the best I can afford.
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

I tried diving wet with every thing from Tee shirts to long johns on under my wet suit and I have found that by just a pair of boxers on under my wet suit i stay not only warmer but more comfortabule during my dives
Sorry Sparky.. But NEVER EVER EVER wear cotton on a dive. COTTON KILLS! This includes T-shirts and long johns. Make sure if you wear anything in cold water (even dry) that you wear wool or synthetic (fleece, polyester). Cotton will suck the heat right from your body and will actually make you hypothermic faster than if you were wear a suit that isn't thick enough. You shouldn't even wear cotton under your drysuit.. Sometimes they leak and the cotton would start to suck the heat from you.. Or if you sweat and the cotton gets wet it's the same thing... I don't want to offend, but be safe out there.. Don't wear cotton!!!!!