Switching to a backplate/wing

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
babs13
Dive-aholic

Re: Switching to a backplate/wing

Post by babs13 »

It you should see if you can borrow a bp/wing from folks to see if you actually like it. I have say, the lack of bulk and streamlining factor is much better than typically bcd. I like my deep sea supply bp/wing with additional weights screwed in the back. Tobin at deep sea supply is super helpful. :breakdance:
Step 1: I have a diving problem.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Welcome to the darkside. :blackblink:

You might ask and see if some of the folks around who have more than one setup would let you try theirs. In general a plate is a plate. DSS has the cool plastic inserts to help keep the webbing from fraying. I think for diving around here a SS Sta is nice, it adds weight to the plate. I prefer a donut wing to a horseshoe, but other differ. You'll want 35-45lbs of lift for diving around here depending on what gear you choose, size of tank etc. I wouldn't spring for a complex harness, have someone show you how to properly rig and adjust a hog harness and it's very comfortable and easy to use.

Good luck. I think my plate/wing was my most rewarding purchase. At least as much as my drysuit.

Jake
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

BlackToe wrote:The plastic inserts seem like a good feature. Ever had any problem with them binding, breaking, etc? I figure "SS" is stainless steel, but what is the "Sta" part? Also, what do you like about the donut vs the horseshoe? I've got a buddy who'll let me borrow one of his setups, and I'd like to be really aware of what to be paying attention to when I dive it.
No, no issues with inserts binding/breaking--I know of DSS plates with hundreds of dives on them no problemo.

SS does equal stainless.

STA=Single Tank Adapter, a piece of metal that has screws in it to bolt to a backplate and slots for cam bands. Many can be weighted (6-10 pounds) to put additional ballast on your back. The DSS is a "STA-less" design that gets the tank closer to your back, making it a bit more balanced. The DSS solution to the "more weight" part are weight plates that bolt directly to the backplate.

Donut allows for complete 360 degree circulation of gas in the wing, making it a bit easier to dump. Horseshoe doesn't allow gas to flow along the bottom of the wing.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

You will hear a lot of "DSS rocks" around here. I dove a DSS wing quite a bit and had a Halcyon wing on long-term loan. Both are good wings and Tobin's stuff is amazing. That being said, my personal preference is for Oxycheq wings. When I finally got my own gear, I got the Mach V for my singles rig. There were several things that decided me on the Oxycheq - it is very low profile, incredibly responsive in the water, and is tough and durable. There are ways to attach it to a BP without an STA, but I went with the STA to distribute weight throughout my rig and help me trim out easier. The Halcyon was great, but it did not seem as responsive as the Oxycheq and was not as low profile, so there was more fabric floating around during a dive.
Let us know what you go with.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Like most equpment decisions there are lots of opinions; most of which are passionately held. After using several different kits here is my take:
>It all works and is safe.
>Generally speaking you are better off using the same, or similar, kit as your regular dive buddies, if you have regular dive buddies.
>Other than price and user bias there isn't much difference other than price between backplates. Then of course there is the usual shill activity for a certain brand, but...
>If you are going to change you need to take a look at the DiveRite TransPac. It has its' fans and it has its' critics. But, it does a very good job and is relatively cheap and light for travel. I own both a bp and a transpac. They both seem to work just fine with the bp a little more stable with large steel doubles. For singles they seem to dive very much alike.
>If possible test dive each kit before you make a buy decision. This is especially true if you are going to use a different harness than you are accustomed to.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I agree with arctic diver. SS back plates are all very similar other than fit and finish. There are slight differences in angle and some are polished and some are glass beaded some offer different lengths. But in the end they all perform pretty much the same. As for wings there are allot of different styles and sizes and a bunch of different MFG. The important thing is buy a singles wing if that's what you are going to dive. Doubles wings do not work well with single tanks and visa versa. I would strongly recommend a STA for a singles rig especially with a pony. They make for a much more stable setup and I can show you how to make one for about $15 that works great.

As far as mounting extra equipment,,, All back plates have holes along both sides for that purpose.

Bottom line is Price. What are you willing to pay and how loyal are you to your LDS?
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Posted on April 1st a few years back.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

BlackToe wrote:Price is definitely a factor right now, unfortunately. It looks like Golem has a pretty decent package deal on the horseshoe wing and SS plate for $390. If I add an STA and spine weight pouch, it looks like I could get into a BP/W for $440.
Just as an FYI, the comparable DSS rig is $470, SS plate, hog harness, and either a Torus 35 wing (what I dive and like a lot) or an LCD 40 (if you are really going to load weight up on the rig).

Add a couple XS scuba weight pockets on the cam bands and you can get more weight on your back like a weighted STA, for less money. And, that weight is now adjustable--i.e., you could put up to five pounds in each pouch.

Here it comes:

Go see Matt at NWSD, he is a DSS dealer and can get things in stock very quickly. He also carries other brands, but I'd steer you towards DSS because it is a known quantity to me. That being said, Golem is nice, as is Oxycheq or Halcyon.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Most people diving where we do need to add some weight to a backplate system. Tobin has weight plates that bolt onto a SS plate and add 8 pounds. You don't need an STA with his wings. But even with a steel plate, weight plates and weight pouches on the cambands or a weighted STA, you're likely to need a belt or DUI weight harness or something else to hold weight.

The one advantage to using an STA that I've found is that, if you want to use the same plate for singles and doubles, unbolting an STA and bolting on doubles is easier than removing cambands from a plate. (I solved the problem by owning multiple plates.)

Some people recommend against putting all your weight on your rig, because then, if you have to remove it for any reason, it's hard to float the rig and way too easy to float YOU (in other words, staying connected to your gear becomes a challenge).
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

No. I mount my single tank VERY high in the cambands, so that I can reach my valve, and I've never had a problem with the inflator hose routing. I think the curve as it comes forward from the back side of the wing is enough to keep it clear of the regulator.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

BlackToe,

As dsteding mentioned DeepSeaSupply offers better deals on their gear when you are buying a "complete" package of Plate, Wing, and Harness. If you use the Rig Configurator: https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php ... nfigurator on their site you can build up a package for what you need. The full package includes the plate, wing, harness, 2 tank cam bands, 2 elastomeric wedge blocks, and a LP hose with a DSS hose hat. It is a nice package that has everything you need to get in the water.

DSS really seems to focus on making their plates and wings work well with single tank setups, so I think it may be a good fit for your needs. I am pretty new to the setup having only gotten my BP/W a few months ago, so haven't had any experience with other brands, but the DSS package deal seems really competitive on price for a very high level of quality and customer support.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

BlackToe wrote:I definitely prefer to have some non-integrated and dumpable weight on me. I tried a couple weight harnesses, but didn't like all the extra clutter the webbing creates. Now I just use a belt with weight pockets -- simple and configurable. =)

Looks like the DSS wings have the inflator coming out of the center of the wing at the top. I currently mount my BC fairly low on the tank to keep the weight high on my body, and I'm wondering if it would start to get "busy" around the 1st stage. Ever had issues with this?
Remember that you're now going to have a chunk of SS over your lungs, moving your weight higher up, you may not need your tank as high. Pockets on the upper cam band can help with that too.

I just use a weightbelt also for some weight. Under my waist strap so it's attached to me when I have to climb out of my rig at the surface. (sometimes on personal boats) It keeps some ditchable, and makes sure that the rig floats easily without me attached to it.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

You can't go wrong with DSS, but Tobin's probably going to want to talk to you before he'll take your order -- He insists on making sure that what you buy is something that will work the very best for YOU, which is one of the reasons I endlessly promote his equipment. A friend of mine wanted to buy a single tank setup, but he wouldn't even sell it to her until she provided him with the information he felt he needed to be sure she was getting the right wing. I love that about Tobin.
babs13
Dive-aholic

Post by babs13 »

LCF wrote:A friend of mine wanted to buy a single tank setup, but he wouldn't even sell it to her until she provided him with the information he felt he needed to be sure she was getting the right wing. I love that about Tobin.
Tobin is totally awesome like that! Though I wasn't the friend, Tobin didn't want to sell a complete rig to me until I provided him sufficient information to conclude I was getting the right wing. He took the time to be sure I was getting the right wing. :breakdance:
Step 1: I have a diving problem.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

BlackToe wrote:
-Aaron- wrote:As dsteding mentioned DeepSeaSupply offers better deals on their gear when you are buying a "complete" package of Plate, Wing, and Harness. If you use the Rig Configurator: https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php ... nfigurator on their site you can build up a package for what you need. The full package includes the plate, wing, harness, 2 tank cam bands, 2 elastomeric wedge blocks, and a LP hose with a DSS hose hat. It is a nice package that has everything you need to get in the water.
"Single Tank Rig w/ Medium Stainless Steel plate, Hogarthian Harness, LCD 40 Single Tank Wing w/ 22 mil Bladder" - $460

My trigger finger is gettin' mighty itchy as my mouse hovers over the "Add to Cart" button. =)
Check out the Torus 35lbs wing as an alternative to the LCD 40. The Torus is a LOVELY wing, and 35lbs is all you need when properly weighted on a single tank. Tobin would likely steer you that direction too.

FWIW, both Mrs. Sounder and I are size "medium" back plates. Medium is a popular size.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

I am using an Oxycheq Mach V singles wing with a Hammerhead SS plate and STA.
Great combo and the price is tough to beat. I really like my Mach V.

Hammerhead SS plate and STA ($99)
http://www.hammerheadscuba.com/pricepoint.htm

Oxycheq Mach V ($272)
http://www.addheliumstore.com/oxycheq-m ... -wing.html

$371 plus shipping.

Just need to add a harness and cam straps.

You cant really go wrong with either DSS or Oxycheq imho...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Ken G wrote:I am using an Oxycheq Mach V singles wing with a Hammerhead SS plate and STA.
Great combo and the price is tough to beat. I really like my Mach V.

Hammerhead SS plate and STA ($99)
http://www.hammerheadscuba.com/pricepoint.htm

Oxycheq Mach V ($272)
http://www.addheliumstore.com/oxycheq-m ... -wing.html

$371 plus shipping.

Just need to add a harness and cam straps.

You cant really go wrong with either DSS or Oxycheq imho...
That is a nice combo and the price is good and that $99 price includes a heavy STA! So many choices! :80sdance: :80sdance: Glad I already have my rig!
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

PM sent.....I am selling an APEKS system.....sigh...dive geat is taking over my boat....
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

BlackToe wrote:I just ordered the DSS BP with the LCD 40 from Matt at NWSD. Should be here Friday and at a price I'm very happy with. I must've been talking to him on the phone when some of these last messages were posted, so please don't think I ignored anyone's advice. =)

I got the bigger wing 'cause I plan to be hauling stuff as a safety diver, otherwise the 35 probably would have been fine. I imagine these are all great kits, though, and I'd probably be happy with any of the ones suggested.

Thanks again for everyone's advice! I'll try to post in a week or so after I've had a chance to dive with it a few times.
The LCD 40 sounds like a good choice for you--and still streamlined.

Reason I say this is because I have a Torus 35, and with a can light and seriously negative battery pack for my suit heater I had to get rid of the weight plates to make it float with a full 130 (which I need because of the small boats I dive off of).

That being said, if you need some of the weight plates at some point, I'll cut you a good deal on them, as a "thank you" for using Matt and NWSD--I know that is probably out of the way for you, but I appreciate you supporting local dive shops.

Cheers,

-Doug
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

You won't go wrong with DSS (no matter what you end up with) or NWSD. Great choices all around!! :mmmbeer:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The rubber inner tube pieces go below the D-rings, and they're for stowing your backup lights.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Run the inflator LP hose through it to keep it form wandering off. I have one, but I don't use it.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Probably too late to be of help... but here are a few links:
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

A minor tip that I missed when I set up my harness. If you haven't already threaded the included inner tubing on the harness, cut it in half first to create two thinner rings. Make sure you don't cut through the ring, you want to keep them intact, just end up with two rings of half the thickness.. This will give you a backup ring in each position on the harness. Also, it will make the rings much easier to flex around your light heads and inflator hose. With full thickness tubing it is pretty much impossible to restow a light with gloves. If you have already threaded on the tubing (like I had) you can save re-threading the harness by carefully cutting them on the webbing. I just pulled mine out from the edge of the webbing and held it with my thumb while I made a cut with my some scissors, then a carefully followed the ring around avoiding making any jagged edges.