viking ring system for dry gloves. What kind of gloves to b

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
narcosis Junky
Aquaphile

viking ring system for dry gloves. What kind of gloves to b

Post by narcosis Junky »

Any one can give me recommendation for dry glove types and brands that work well with the viking wrist system.
Let me know asap please. And Thank you. Oh and who sells them as far as stores. I don't have a dive store that carries that kind of stuff here. thank you I have read about the Atlas 600 and 440 gloves, but no one has them in this town. Any other glove brands let me know. thank you..

:clap:
Want to go dive in Oregon. I can help. Biginner or experienced it doesn't matter.
want to do some underwater photography I will help if I can. I'm a dive Junky. Cold or hot.
I spear fish, night dive, deep dive. I do it all. Contact me.
http://flickr.com/photos/8680102@N04/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: viking ring system for dry gloves. What kind of gloves to b

Post by CaptnJack »

Any thick PVC glove will work. Even diswashing gloves, although they tend to be thin and fragile. Home Depot and similar places have PVC gloves that will work in the paint or cleaning sections.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

If you're talking the kind where you just stretch the glove over the ring, these should work. I use them on my crappy home made rings and they've been really tough. (and cheap!)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=4468
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

I prefer the Atlas 620's for my Vikings. The 660's will work too but I have found them to be a little thicker than I need.

Seattle Marine has them pretty cheap

http://www.seattlemarine.net/productcar ... category=0
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

The smurf gloves (Atlas) are good and cheap, and SeaMar is the place to find them.

A worthwhile alternative is this: http://www.diveprodivegear.com/m8_view_ ... item=54504 They're 4mm compressed neoprene, and they're a lot warmer. I also find I have better dexterity with them than smurf gloves. They're a little more expensive, but they seem to last about a year and a half before they're no longer staying dry...and that's with some pretty good abuse.

I think I've seen them as low as $30, and just about any Aqualung dealer can get them for you, as Deep See is owned by Aqualung.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I'm a big fan of the Atlas gloves as well. I suggest heading to Seamar in person and getting your grubby hands onto a few different pairs to help decide. They're cheap so maybe buy a few different ones once you figure out your size.

Check out the Seamar atlas page. I use the orange 620 because I feel they're more dexterous than the smurf gloves which is the 660.

Other folks like the ones that come with liners found on this page. The 495 and 465 both come with fuzzy liners.

I wear (wore) the army issue wool glove liners Seamar also sells because they kept my hands warm even if they got wet or sweaty.

NWSD sells those cool neoprene dry gloves that I've always wanted to try but never got a chance. They look like they'd make snap bolting and camera buttons a breeze.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

So do these Atlas gloves you guys are talking about have non-porous inside cuffs that would work with the Viking classic (stretch-over) rings? I'm looking for something new. All the gloves I've tried are too floppy or have fingers that are way too long.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

airsix wrote:So do these Atlas gloves you guys are talking about have non-porous inside cuffs that would work with the Viking classic (stretch-over) rings? I'm looking for something new. All the gloves I've tried are too floppy or have fingers that are way too long.

-Ben
Nope they are made by dipping a cotton mesh-like glove into liquid PVC. The white "lining" is integral. I know the type you need but have never seen them for sale anywhere.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:
airsix wrote:So do these Atlas gloves you guys are talking about have non-porous inside cuffs that would work with the Viking classic (stretch-over) rings? I'm looking for something new. All the gloves I've tried are too floppy or have fingers that are way too long.

-Ben
Nope they are made by dipping a cotton mesh-like glove into liquid PVC. The white "lining" is integral. I know the type you need but have never seen them for sale anywhere.
Ben you tired the ones like mine right? I have a spare pair you can try next weekend if you want.

Where are Rawlings and Bassman? I think they both use this system with those gloves.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Go to Work in more or anouther industrial supply store "Best REF55" is the best one I ahve founr $6.00 a pair. I wear a size 10.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I use an orange latex acid glove that is readily available at safety supplies or hardware stores. They are inexpensive and seal well on the cuffs (make sure they are 100% latex). They have a diamond plate type gripping area for traction and they are light enough (20mil I think) that you can get a lot of tactile feel for what you are doing. They are cheap to replace so I don't mind putting on a new pair fairly frequently. I think any good 20-30 mil latex glove would be good- they just can't have any frocking inside.

For liners, we are using a military grade glove direct from Ft. Lewis. They are sold in the PX---I was trying to find a copy of them out on the web but so far, nothing looks close. Basically a good, thin, insulated shooting glove. They were $25 and are THE best liners I have seen---very warm. If I get a name on them, I will post it. :snipersmiley:

http://www.rshughes.com/products/076490_74148.html
http://www.safetysaves.com/safety_wear/ ... uctid=1992
http://cheap-gloves.com/catalog/Latex_R ... -34-1.html
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Nwbrewer wrote:Ben you tired the ones like mine right? I have a spare pair you can try next weekend if you want.
I've got a pair but they're too big. They fit the rings nice though.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Sockmonkey wrote:
NWSD sells those cool neoprene dry gloves that I've always wanted to try but never got a chance. They look like they'd make snap bolting and camera buttons a breeze.

-Eric
Those neo gloves only work with o-ring systems like the DC system or the OS glove rings. The compression fit (inside ring) system on the si-tech or Viking system leaks. Trust me, I've tried to switch over.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nwbrewer wrote:If you're talking the kind where you just stretch the glove over the ring, these should work. I use them on my crappy home made rings and they've been really tough. (and cheap!)

These gloves at Harbor Freight work wonderfully! They seem to be sized really well and using woolies underneath works great. They are long enough that you can pull them over the ring to where they won't accidentally leak. Bassman used to use a vacuum cleaner belt in the valley between the rings - I've never bothered and the only slight leak I ever had was when I got a bit of glove caught in them.

They work flawlessly and are cheap.

Also - there is a smooth finished pair that is a bit smaller.... if these don't fit you I think they come in multiple sizes, not 100% sure on that.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Tom Nic wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:If you're talking the kind where you just stretch the glove over the ring, these should work. I use them on my crappy home made rings and they've been really tough. (and cheap!)

These gloves at Harbor Freight work wonderfully! They seem to be sized really well and using woolies underneath works great. They are long enough that you can pull them over the ring to where they won't accidentally leak. Bassman used to use a vacuum cleaner belt in the valley between the rings - I've never bothered and the only slight leak I ever had was when I got a bit of glove caught in them.

They work flawlessly and are cheap.

Also - there is a smooth finished pair that is a bit smaller.... if these don't fit you I think they come in multiple sizes, not 100% sure on that.
Where did you find the smooth finished pair? These aren't made by HF, just repackaged by them. I've been trying to track down a secondary source, cause the manufacturer also makes the exact same ones in a pale yellow, which, while looking rather lame, would be much nicer for signaling.

narcosis Junky
Aquaphile

Post by narcosis Junky »

well, I used a pair of harbor freight sand blasting gloves today. No leaks. Went spear fishing. No leaks. I even cut them back so that they wouldn't be to long. They where awesome. They even have texture on them. Great for griping. $6 not bad. It's the same gloves that are sold up at Hood Sport and dive. Except these have texture. Thank you every body for your input. I got the viking ring system form a place out of Florida for $20 a pair. Bought two pairs. Not bad over all. And I mounted them on my zip wrist seals from DUI. Worked great. I'm hooked.
Want to go dive in Oregon. I can help. Biginner or experienced it doesn't matter.
want to do some underwater photography I will help if I can. I'm a dive Junky. Cold or hot.
I spear fish, night dive, deep dive. I do it all. Contact me.
http://flickr.com/photos/8680102@N04/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nwbrewer wrote:Where did you find the smooth finished pair? These aren't made by HF, just repackaged by them. I've been trying to track down a secondary source, cause the manufacturer also makes the exact same ones in a pale yellow, which, while looking rather lame, would be much nicer for signaling.
I think that Keith bought them at Harbor Freight - I don't know what the secondary source is.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I took a look at the liners I love- they are from seirus and you can get them at REI or other places cheaper :)
They are really comfortable and warm and dry out fast if they get wet
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

OK, I took another look at the HF blasting gloves and they aren't as big as I thought. The fingers are actually pretty short. I'm going to give them a try.

-Ben
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

narcosis Junky wrote:well, I used a pair of harbor freight sand blasting gloves today. No leaks. Went spear fishing. No leaks. I even cut them back so that they wouldn't be to long. They where awesome. They even have texture on them. Great for griping. $6 not bad. It's the same gloves that are sold up at Hood Sport and dive. Except these have texture. Thank you every body for your input. I got the viking ring system form a place out of Florida for $20 a pair. Bought two pairs. Not bad over all. And I mounted them on my zip wrist seals from DUI. Worked great. I'm hooked.
Glad you like them NJ. I'm pretty biased, and don't have lots of experience with other dry gloves but these work really well and I love the simplicity and flexibility.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

airsix wrote:OK, I took another look at the HF blasting gloves and they aren't as big as I thought. The fingers are actually pretty short. I'm going to give them a try.

-Ben
Like I said I have a pair in the truck, you're welcome to try them this weekend.

Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I was in an Ace hardware recently and spotted a line of gloves made by Stanley that looked really rugged and came in a few different styles/thicknesses/colors. They look like they'd be pretty great for dry gloves.

For warm water abrasion protection I picked up a pair of these garden gloves from atlas.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Tom Nic wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:Where did you find the smooth finished pair? These aren't made by HF, just repackaged by them. I've been trying to track down a secondary source, cause the manufacturer also makes the exact same ones in a pale yellow, which, while looking rather lame, would be much nicer for signaling.
I think that Keith bought them at Harbor Freight - I don't know what the secondary source is.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisear ... ber+gloves

These are perfect and are now cheaper! :supz:

I need to get down there and stock up!

They are tuff except for when you want to play with the Red Rock crabs. They can pinch pretty hard #-o
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: