Salvo 12w LED Tips

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Stu
Aquaphile

Salvo 12w LED Tips

Post by Stu »

Since so many people here dive canister lights I thought this could help people out who are interested in the Salvo 12 watt LED.

So I have had a love hate relationship with my 12 watt led from Salvo. I love the light, nice focused beam for a led and 4 hour burn time in a tiny canister. The problem is the POS soft goodman handle and "snap-in" light connection. Here are some things that I did in order to improve the performance.

The light has a tendency to spin in the holder because of the snap in connection. I really wanted to be able to turn the light on with one hand. In order to fix that issue I tried zip ties/hose clamp with rubber material over the top. The problem was no matter how hard I clamped down on the thing over the course of a few dives it would start spinning again. The solution I found that worked best was to take a piece of bicycle inner tube put it over the light head and then snap it into the holder. No more spinning and it still fits into the handle. If you're gentle enough this may solve all your problems as it is harder to dislodge from the holder.

For me I didn't think it was going to be enough to keep the light from popping out of the holder when I tried to clip it off or whatever. The first thing I did was buy a half decent hard Goodman handle and milled out two holes in the handle that corresponded to the holes in the bottom of the c shaped snap-in clamp. Then with new stainless screws I screwed up through the bottom of the Goodman handle and into the pre drilled holes in the c clamp. Between the Goodman handle and clamp I cut and placed a hose clamp so the light would not dislodge from the handle.

While I'll recommend this light to anyone, especially because of the extra battery that has the ability to screw into the light making a kick ass light for vacation, this Goodman handle stuff has driven me crazy. Hope this helps someone out.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Salvo 12w LED Tips

Post by spatman »

i think it was Grateful Diver who contacted the guys from salvo and ordered a hard goodman for his 12w led....