Diving Digital camera

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

cardiver wrote:The camera is 199.99 at Costco with a lifetime warranty and the housing I got on line from a place in Ohio for 179.99
I know a friend who bought this camera... The high mega pixels are intriguing for the price, and the large screen would really be nice for underwater pics.

I have a C-770 Ultra Zoom, FL2 external flash, and underwater housings for both. I'm getting some good shots but have LOTS to learn. It is a great camera above water, particularly with the 10x optical zoom, but I don't find myself using the zoom under water because of backscatter... I just get close!
jeff98208
Aquanaut

dive cameras

Post by jeff98208 »

i hear that tom. although mine is a sealife 5.0 i just get close aswell. the zoom might create to much backscatter on mine to so i wont even try the zoom at depth.
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Pringster
Avid Diver

Canon A620

Post by Pringster »

Grateful Diver wrote:If it needs to be an SD card, the Canon A620 would be my hands-down choice.

http://www.amazon.com/s/102-5436752-192 ... ndex=photo

Recommend upgrading to a 1 GB memory chip when you order the camera ... and unless you're planning to use it with a strobe, might as well get the counterweight as well ... floaty cameras are a pain underwater..

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Interesting you should say that....that's just what I recently purchased along with an Inon D2000Wn. I fried my A610 at Alki a while back...what a bummer. I purchased the Canon housing...wish it were the Ikolite (spelling), but hindsite's 20/20. Can't wait to Get Er Done!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Re: Canon A620

Post by thelawgoddess »

Grateful Diver wrote:... and unless you're planning to use it with a strobe, might as well get the counterweight as well ... floaty cameras are a pain underwater..

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
not just a pain actually; sometimes your camera will "disappear" - and no matter how many "reg recovery" types of drills you try won't be able to find it. and when this happens, grateful diver will probably be snickering in the privacy of his mask for the entire dive ... only to point out your folly to you after the dive -- which by then you will (of course) have already discovered. i think he calls it something like "learning from your mistakes" ... ;-)
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
richolionheart
Frequent Bubbler

Post by richolionheart »

Thanks everyone for those replies!!!

I decided to buy the Canon SD550 at Costco (279$ including a color printer) and the housing at http://www.pagecomputers.com/ 145$ + shipping

I should get the housing monday so i will try it next week! I can't wait!!!

I will probably have to get weights and an external strobe..... i'll see.
Richolionheart,
I'm moving out on november 23rd! Contact me for as many dives as possible before that!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i might have a full set of the canon weights from B&H i bought recently. looks like the sd700 is doesn't actually need any. wish they had told me that before i bought them!
my FLICKR photo sets
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

I would buy the weights if you don't need them.. it would save me fromordering them.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
richolionheart
Frequent Bubbler

Post by richolionheart »

This is the link for the chart on how much weght per housing for canon.

I need 1 weight without counting the strobe. Will it really bother me not to have it?

Thanks
Richolionheart,
I'm moving out on november 23rd! Contact me for as many dives as possible before that!
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

No, I don't currently use a weight for my A80... It just floats if I let go.. But, when I have a strobe, I have to have weight or else my arms get tired of trying to hold it down.... I think I would like to have one weight for my camera just so it doesn't float as much...
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Cera wrote:I would buy the weights if you don't need them.. it would save me fromordering them.
and it will save me from returning them. i used the camera this weekend; it kind of amazes me how much less the sd700 floats compared to the s410 i had before. i don't think i really need weights in there. (richolionheart, it drove me nuts with my camera being all floaty - it really gets in your way when you don't want it to, and there actually was a whole dive when i couldn't find the damned thing!) if anyone wants to buy them from me, send me a pm. you might be able to "share them" - there are 4 weights in the package, but i'm not sure how much of the hardware there is to go around. maybe enough for 2 people if you don't want a spare ...
my FLICKR photo sets
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

How much for them, maybe I will just buy them all. I am thinking of getting a new camera and it says I need two weights for it.... Let me know

thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i paid $27.95 plus shipping, but i also bought a little printer cartridge and an SD card ... so how about an even $30?
my FLICKR photo sets
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

That sounds fair... SOLD

nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

nikon coolpix 4600 (4mega)..$200
nikon housing...$200
sealife digital strobe...$350
sd card
i am very happy with it, it even has a scuba mode because of the loss of color in water