Salvo closing up shop???

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Salvo closing up shop???

Post by spatman »

i just read a thread over on the Dive Matrix that reports that Salvo is closing at the end of this month.

has anybody else heard about this? is it true?

EDIT:

more info on thedecostop:

http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38834
As stated in another forum, as a Salvo dealer we're not worrying about it, the great lights and service will continue, apparently under the name "Leviathan" and all Salvo products will still have a full warranty......
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Salvo closing up shop???

Post by Nwbrewer »

Read through both threads. Sounds more like re-incorportation under a new name to end ongoing legal entanglements more than an actual closing of shop. I'll but from the consumer end it's not much more than a name change.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

More info from Corey here
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

My understanding that this is roughly accurate backstory:

http://www.direxplorers.com/80791-post12.html

Casey, of course, works for Halcyon. So keep in mind that this is a Halcyon employee alleging that Barry has skipped the country, and making claims about the legality of the use of Halcyon and Salvo IP in the new company which may be spreading FUD about the viability of the new company. The general claims that Barry screwed over Salvo, which is what led to the closing of the Salvo brand I think is correct...
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

So does this mean my light will go up in value? \:D/

Seriously I don't have the patience to read all the related threads o the internet about what happened. As far as I see it

1.) Salvo makes (made?) damn fine lights
2.) Oxycheq sells most of the relevant parts used in them on their website
3.) There are a number of people in this area, on this board even who are more than capable of doing reapair work if the
need arises.

So while I hope it's true that there will be a new company offering support for the salvo brand. I still love my light - period
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Bummer for Barry, but very exciting for Corey. Looks like my next light will be a Leviathan!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

If I read that last sentence of the post Lamont linked, I'd expect to see Halcyon pursuing legal action against Leviathon almost as soon as it's established.

Given the history, I'd say plan on it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Looks like we'll all be shopping for an improved version of the "Death Light" soon!
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Grateful Diver wrote:If I read that last sentence of the post Lamont linked, I'd expect to see Halcyon pursuing legal action against Leviathon almost as soon as it's established.

Given the history, I'd say plan on it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yeah, but Halcyon can't drive Corey out of the dive equipment manufacturing business completely.

At some point there has to be a way to legally 'scrub' Salvo and let Corey pursue a new business under a new name.

And while Barry is certainly culpable under laws protecting trade secrets and NDAs and other Halcyon IP, I don't know how far that criminal act infects the relationship that Corey had with Salvo. Maybe one of the laywers on the board can comment. But we're not talking about Patents here, and we're not talking about Copyrights, we're off in the murky land of trade secrets and other forms of IP.

What I don't know is how you can transfer the equipment designs, pricing and customers out of Salvo and into Leviathan as an entity without having liability for the Halcyon lawsuits follow that and have a claim on it. I'm not sure legally how you could construct a firewall there, but I bet that you can. And any construction of a firewall can only be strengthened by the new company also suing Barry.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Remember this is all happening in FL! Think Hatfields and McCoys meet guns, pickups, and cave diving...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I'm sorry to see Salvo go but hope the successors the best.

I don't see Halcyon as the bad guy here. Barry cleaned them out then setup shop making identical stuff the intellectual rights to the products belonged to Halcyon. It goes beyond the lights. Look at the reels and other stuff It's absolutely identical. He got called to the mat for it and lost as he should have. Great customer service or not.

If Corey wants to start a new business, he should start totally from scratch and totally remove himself from anything at all to do with Salvo. Create his own designs and everything. Then he will be free to do whatever he wants. But if he starts out with a bunch of products that are identical to Halcyon then of course they are going to go after him.

Personally, If I was in his shoes I wouldn't be honoring warranties, servicing or even looking at any Salvo gear. He needs to distance himself from that stigma.

This is no different than if some programmer for Microsoft took a bunch of copies of MSOffice, the source code and a list of all MSOffice users and setup shop selling it under a new name. Don't you think MS would be on him big time?
Dave Mitchell
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dmitchell wrote:If Corey wants to start a new business, he should start totally from scratch and totally remove himself from anything at all to do with Salvo. Create his own designs and everything. Then he will be free to do whatever he wants. But if he starts out with a bunch of products that are identical to Halcyon then of course they are going to go after him.

Personally, If I was in his shoes I wouldn't be honoring warranties, servicing or even looking at any Salvo gear. He needs to distance himself from that stigma.
Most of Halcyon's "designs" aren't really there's either (although they have had some good innovations too), and if H is willing to service Salvo lights and I were in Corey's shoes, I wouldn't be so paranoid. For instance Halcyon has no LED canister lights at all, and they have never used Li-Ion batteries or remote ballasts either. Halcyon wants the settlement they won from Barry, not to create another lawsuit with Corey and Joel's company - unless they are STILL using stuff Barry took from Halcyon. At this point I don't know if a court could distinguish anyway.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Oh dear. I JUST sent my poor can light to Salvo (not a Salvo light, but previously serviced by them) to see if they could fix it, and now ...

:crybaby:

Perhaps it's the universe's message that I should upgrade, huh? Although, this would be a pretty drastic message. Tank the entire company so that Jen will upgrade her light? Uhhh....

It's ALL about me me mememememememememeeeeee. :-)
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Jenbowes wrote:Oh dear. I JUST sent my poor can light to Salvo (not a Salvo light, but previously serviced by them) to see if they could fix it, and now ...

:crybaby:

Perhaps it's the universe's message that I should upgrade, huh? Although, this would be a pretty drastic message. Tank the entire company so that Jen will upgrade her light? Uhhh....

It's ALL about me me mememememememememeeeeee. :-)

Maybe In all the confusion they'll get things mixed up and send you back a brand new 35w HID?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Where's Sounder anyway? I thought he had Salvo radar and could pick up a thread mentioning them from anywhere on the West Coast?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:Where's Sounder anyway? I thought he had Salvo radar and could pick up a thread mentioning them from anywhere on the West Coast?
I learned about this on the way back into port from the trip, and I've been in touch with folks getting the details from the horse's mouth.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Where's Sounder anyway? I thought he had Salvo radar and could pick up a thread mentioning them from anywhere on the West Coast?
I learned about this on the way back into port from the trip, and I've been in touch with folks getting the details from the horse's mouth.
You mean the part about Barry skipping town to avoid paying his court-ordered settlement to Halcyon and forcing Corey and Joel to go out on their own as a new company? Its all over the Drama Stop and Halcyon's UK board among others. I'm not sure the Horse's Mouth has the time or inclination to talk.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:
Sounder wrote:
You mean the part about Barry skipping town to avoid paying his court-ordered settlement to Halcyon and forcing Corey and Joel to go out on their own as a new company? Its all over the Drama Stop and Halcyon's UK board among others. I'm not sure the Horse's Mouth has the time or inclination to talk.
Well, not "THE horse" himself, but I'm definitely going to support Corey and Joel in their new venture and do everything I can to help them be successful. Corey is a friend and Joel is a damn nice guy too. They were the two guys at the heart of Salvo's reputation for service, and I really hope they do well.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Yes, rumor has it the "Horse" has left the barn and the country with as many of Salvo's assets as he could carry.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:Yes, rumor has it the "Horse" has left the barn and the country with as many of Salvo's assets as he could carry.
I heard that too. I was never real friends with the Horse (I only met him a couple times), but Corey and Joel are another story. I love those guys.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Yes, rumor has it the "Horse" has left the barn and the country with as many of Salvo's assets as he could carry.
I heard that too. I was never real friends with the Horse (I only met him a couple times), but Corey and Joel are another story. I love those guys.
Me neither, in fact Corey always answered the phone/emails.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:
Sounder wrote:
Me neither, in fact Corey always answered the phone/emails.
Yeah, Corey is more the front-man and Joel is more "Mr. Fix Everything" though they both do both. I suspect the Leviathan lights will be be almost carbon copies of the Salvo design, will be made with the same quality, and will carry the same wonderful warranty and service. I hope people will support them - they kind of got left in the lurch, but they're making the most of it.

They're both really good dudes.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Come to me my children... I will Help you all with My death Lights .... And service is Local... Ha Ha Ha Ha .. Hey good news for me !!!!!! Less competition .. :joshsmith: :thumb3d:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Seriously. You thought we were all so nuts for making our own lights.... :neener:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

H20doctor wrote:Come to me my children... I will Help you all with My death Lights .... And service is Local... Ha Ha Ha Ha .. Hey good news for me !!!!!! Less competition .. :joshsmith: :thumb3d:
Do you make lights? Who makes lights? You have a death light? How much is a death light? Can I repeat myself? How can I repeat myself?

Depending upon what occurs with my "now in the abyss of legal chaos" light, I may need a new one. Eesh. Shopping gives me a headache.
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS