Do you own a crushed neoprene dry suit?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
aviddiver.her
Frequent Bubbler

Do you own a crushed neoprene dry suit?

Post by aviddiver.her »

I love my Mobby’s compressed neoprene dry suit but it is getting too small and too stiff after 7 years diving with it. Mobby’s is no longer available so, I have to find a replacement product. I'm looking at Bare's CD4 Pro Dry suit. Can't find any reviews of it and can't find anyone in my area that has any in stock to look at in person. I'd have to order based on photos and description.
Does anyone own a Bare CD4?
Does anyone own any other compressed neoprene suits that they like or don't like?

I've already ruled out DUI crushed neoprene. It's too crushed for my needs, I don't like the telescoping torso and DUI is too expensive.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Do you own a crushed neoprene dry suit?

Post by Nwbrewer »

I use a diving concepts Neo Z crushed neo suit. It's the only drysuit I've ever had, but I love it. Front zip, integrated boots. Really comfortable and really warm, so I don't need much for undies. It does have a telescoping torso though if that's a real deal breaker. I find it makes it easy to get in/out of the suit. Good luck with your purchase.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I'm sporting a Bare D6, and I love the hell out of it. The D4 is 4mm crushed, and it's got more flexibility out the door then mine does, but I can dive in the winter time, or at depth with just my jammies on. 0]

I figure in the future when I move out of this drysuit, I'll go to a cd4 or 2.

D(B)
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Me! Me! Pick me!!

I have had a Bare CD4 since 2002 and have put in about 500 dives on it. I love it! I've had to replace several things over the years, but the general fit and all works good for me. Replaced zippers several times, replaced the exhaust valve, had new reflector patches put on, replaced the neck seal, the boots, and had the seams redone too. And replaced wrist seals many times.

I chose this style suit because I had put in many, many dives in a wetsuit before ever going to a drysuit. I wanted the fit to be similar to a wetsuit, but more flexible. It is a STURDY suit, no doubt about it.

I chose a neoprene neck seal, and the very sturdy BARE Heavy Duty bottleneck style wrist seals. These are AWESOME seals. I also got built in boots, which I like, but only with ankle weights, because of the air that can get in the feet.

They've changed a number of things since my suit was built (I had it custom made) - for the better. The design of the exhaust valve I had that leaked a lot has been replaced by a new style, and when I recently replaced mine, it has solve the damp arm problem I used to have!

The reflector patches originally put on my suit de-laminated, and they replaced them free with the newer style that are very nice.

Any seam problems you ever have BARE replaces free.

Here's the suit topside:
Two CD4s on the left, and one D6 on the right.
Two CD4s on the left, and one D6 on the right.
Here's a peek at the suit underwater: (photo by Pete Naylor)
jannamontereysm.jpg
Happy to answer any other questions!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm pretty sure the one my husband has is the 2mm compressed neoprene Bare suit. He loves it. No problems, no leaks, over what I think is now three years of PNW diving.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

aviddiver.her wrote:Mobby’s is no longer available so, I have to find a replacement product.
Actually, Mobby's bought Mares. Their products are now sold and serviced through Mares. Before the purchase there was a bit of a blackout period in the US, but Mobby's remained active and popular in Europe/Asia. They're back now, but I believe the new products are rebranded as Mares. Mares is also providing service for the older Mobby's products.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
aviddiver.her
Frequent Bubbler

Post by aviddiver.her »

airsix wrote:
aviddiver.her wrote:Mobby’s is no longer available so, I have to find a replacement product.
Actually, Mobby's bought Mares. Their products are now sold and serviced through Mares. Before the purchase there was a bit of a blackout period in the US, but Mobby's remained active and popular in Europe/Asia. They're back now, but I believe the new products are rebranded as Mares. Mares is also providing service for the older Mobby's products.

-Ben
Yes I had heard they merged. They seem to have two compressed neo suits and have made changes I don't think I like. The Ice Dry style shoulder fit looks poor on the model they have online and other online photos I see of it shows some strange zip neck cuff and over the cuff wrist zipper things. Don't know if that is new or old but I don't think I like that. The other one Mares has does not have built in boots which I have a strong preference for. At any rate they don't show any Mares dealers within 50 miles of home and I would need to order a custom fit so I need a local dealer.
aviddiver.her
Frequent Bubbler

Post by aviddiver.her »

Janna, what are the Heavy Duty bottleneck style wrist seals? Is that latex or neoprene?
Glad to hear you are happy with it that is encouraging.
With all the repairs you have done you are making me even sadder that my Mobbys has gotten to tight. Bought mine in 2002 and have about 400 dives on it. The only thing I've had done is wrist replacements and I put some liquid neoprene on the seam on the butt where the stitching was coming loose. Also patched a tiny nick in the neoprene neck seal. Otherwise no problems and the suit is in great shape.
Metal man
Aquaphile

Post by Metal man »

I dive a compreesed neoprene Apollo and I love it. It's the only suit I've ever worn so I have nothing to compare it to, but I have had no problems.
Gabe ~D.I.A.W.Y.C. Diver
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I own both a Bare CD4 and A brand new CDX2 pro. I used the CD4 for over 400 dives before the zipper gave out and loved it. When the zipper went I decided it was my chance to upgrade to the CDX2 front zip and I love it! But I just couldn't let the CD4 go so I had the zipper replaced and now have a backup. I'm sure it would be good for several hundred more dives If I had chosen to stay with it.

The cdx2 is a great suit it's more flexible lighter and even more comfortable to dive in.

For my 2PSI I would get a hold of Tacoma Scuba and get your suit through them. They are the largest Bare dealer in the US and will give you a good deal and good service. I checked prices on the net before getting my new suit and they beat even Leisure Pro.

Not Janna but the bottleneck seals are latex but very heavy duty and standard on the CD4 and CDX2
Starmonkie
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Starmonkie »

I made a mistake and bought a new Apollo EX 4.0 that fits me but really should be for someone smaller. It has a total of 75 minutes logged over the course of 4 dives on it. Size is a mens ML with the 28 sized boot. http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products ... rysuit.htm

As of today, Under Water Sports is selling this suit at divers fair for $950+tx new , I'll let it go for $850 if anyone is interested.
I'll be there with buoys on.