hid vs fish

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

hid vs fish

Post by Burntchef »

so my girl friend was wondering if pointing my new hid light around all the fish and other sea life burns there eyes as it would ours. i know the water provides uv protection to a certain degree but are we blinding them? man wouldnt that suck.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

you know chef, that is a good ponder. it also raises the ponder of an external strobe from a camera, would it cause them to see the same round bright spots as we do after a picture is taken? great, know i'll be thinking of this all day. :dontknow: see you in a bit bud.
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

When I'm looking at a critter, I always try to shine my light to the side of it. There is still ample light to see it, but I'm also not shining the light directly on it and blinding it.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding

Post by . »

Here's some info on fish vision I googled. It doesn't really say conclusively one way or another. It's in PDF format, scroll down to the middle of page 12.

http://www.epa.gov/waterscience/316b/ph ... l/cha2.pdf

I can only guess that since we don't see any fish with white canes or donning dark shades when we come around at the more popular dive sites, that it isn't harming them.
Last edited by . on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

you forgot the attatchment
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ

Post by . »

burntchef wrote:you forgot the attatchment
Oops, I did, didn't I? Corrected, thanks!
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

fish don't need canes or sunglasses after divers leave because they get eaten

I would hope not