Regulator Service ... Wisdom Needed

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
60south
Pelagic

Regulator Service ... Wisdom Needed

Post by 60south »

I am seething.

I just paid a lot of money to have a reg professionally serviced, and the results have been disappointing and dangerous. This was done via mail to a shop I have used before, usually with good results. I started using them a few years ago after some other shops screwed things up. Here was the latest go-around:

- They returned it to the wrong address. For some reason they didn't even read or use the address on the service form I filled out. I now see the receipt also has a phone number for me that I haven't used in years.

- I explicitly asked for the SPG HP spool to be replaced and returned it to me. In the returned baggie of used parts, that is the one thing not there. They charged me for it, who knows if they replaced it?

- And here's the clincher... I inspected the gear and took a shallow dive on it yesterday. All seemed okay. This morning I pick up the reg and the primary second stage falls off the LP hose. WTF?! Apparently the nut was never fully tightened and it somehow came loose afterward. Thank God that didn't happen during a dive.

I want to call the shop and discuss these problems rationally (would it do any good?) but I don't think I can talk coherently at the moment. I do know that I will never let them -- or anyone else -- touch my gear again.

So, while I cool down, anybody have any words of wisdom? How should I handle this?

And if you know a good supplier for Aqualung and Oceanic regulator parts and tools, please tell me. Seriously, I've had it.

Glenn
Port Townsend
resonanceguitar
Getting To Know Folks

Re: Regulator Service ... Wisdom Needed

Post by resonanceguitar »

Unfortunately calling the shop and arguing doesn't usually do any good. Those are major screw-ups, I'm an Aqualung reg tech and those are basic things that anyone should do on any service, torque specs are something that CAN NOT be ignored on a reg. I'm truly sorry you had a bad experience, it gives us techs a bad name.

-Aaron
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Better Business Bureau.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

The mistakes they made were critical and inexcusable. However, I doubt it was done purposely. I would call the store and email them a photo of what was going on with your regulator, if you live too far away to visit them yourself. I am sure the service tech would want to know if something was not done properly and the store would also want to know.

Yelling does no one any good. It will just upset you more and the store will also react negatively (no one likes to be yelled at). However, talking rationally and working with them to find a solution is much more beneficial. Does the store have an inspection sheet that was included with the regulator? That should have a "checklist" of exactly what they did to service your regulator. That should list all the parts they replaced. If so, ask for a copy. Most dive centers include it with the used parts.

When you call them, I would double check the address and phone number they have for you in their database. My guess is that they had your old phone number on a database that was not cross referenced correctly with your new information. If you have a common name, make sure they also have a middle initial.

Good luck...hope you get this all resolved well.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

defied wrote:Better Business Bureau.
The BBB doesn't care unless the shop is a member and I don't know many that bother to join. It is kind of a dying entity with the internet doing it's reporting job now.

Amy is dead on about this one. Call the owner and discuss calmly your problems. Like she said, write down ALL the points you want to make. Of course there are always lots of reasons that something like this happens, but never a good excuse. I have seed stuff come out of respected dive shops all over my area that was never done by a check list and have had minor problems.

Now ... all that said, it is really best to get to know your local service center. Unless everyone around you is totally incompetent, using a mail order service center can be inconsistent. A good service tech will have no problem having customers watch while they perform their magic. And if they know you, you are more likely to get faster or even a little extra service.

However, if your shop monkey is just that ... a monkey, no matter how nice the shop owner is or what discounts they give you on stuff, find another shop.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

No BBB? Fine, take them out for a cocktail.....a Molotav perhaps?

D(B)
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

rcontrera wrote:A good service tech will have no problem having customers watch while they perform their magic.
I agree with your comments, however there is no 'magic'.

With the right tools, parts, information, and determination, anybody can service their own regulators. I doubt any technician will ever give my life-support equipment the same love and attention as me.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

The Resolution......

I called the shop and had a good conversation (or as good as we could have under the circumstances).

They sincerely apologized and offered to refund the cost of the service. I think that's the best possible solution, so I'm going to consider the matter closed.

......But in the future I'm still going to service my own equipment. :thumb3d:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

rcontrera wrote: A good service tech will have no problem having customers watch while they perform their magic.
Regulator Service: $70
If you watch: $110
If you help: $200

:laugh:
(I was an auto mechanic in HS/college and our shop had a similar policy)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey