DUI ZIPPY NECK SEAL

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

DUI ZIPPY NECK SEAL

Post by Pez7378 »

Okay experts. I replaced my DUI Zip neck seal some time ago as it was getting warn and leaky. I kept the old one, and eventually removed the zippy rings from the latex seal. My thought was to try to recycle it. Now my new one is getting leaky too, so it's time to think about getting this worked out before winter.

Questions:

Do you think it's possible? If so,

Who should I ask to try to have the rings installed (Glued) onto a brand new neck seal?

Do you think it's cost effective to do that instead? A new zippy neck seal is $178
defied
I've Got Gills

Re: DUI ZIPPY NECK SEAL

Post by defied »

I don't see why you couldn't, but I guess I'd have to take a look at the overall design.If it's a zipper ring that a latex seal is attached to, then you should be able to, as long as you are not leaking from the zipper itself.

D(B)
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Pez7378 wrote: A new zippy neck seal is $178
:pinch: That's insane. You could hide funding for a secret CIA project inside a profit margin that big.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Pez7378 wrote:Okay experts. I replaced my DUI Zip neck seal some time ago as it was getting warn and leaky. I kept the old one, and eventually removed the zippy rings from the latex seal. My thought was to try to recycle it. Now my new one is getting leaky too, so it's time to think about getting this worked out before winter.

Questions:

Do you think it's possible? If so,

Who should I ask to try to have the rings installed (Glued) onto a brand new neck seal?

Do you think it's cost effective to do that instead? A new zippy neck seal is $178

What's a latex neck seal, ~$30? I say buy one and try it, the potential savings looks pretty good. Check TDS, (maybe it was DMX) I think somebody had instructions on how to do it for wrist seals, I can't see how a neck seal would be that much more difficult.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Okay, let's just say I was foolish enough to try it. What glue should I use. Aquaseal?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Pez7378 wrote:Okay, let's just say I was foolish enough to try it. What glue should I use. Aquaseal?

I'd try contact cement.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

When you go to a dive shop to pick up a seal, you will most likely be getting an OS Systems seal since almost every dive shop buys and uses them. They will also most likely have the OS Systems glue as well. I suggest using that as it is heat activated and, should you make a mistake, it isn't permanent like Aquaseal.

Aquaseal is pretty magical stuff that was originally called Shoe Goo. But there is one place it should never be used ... DIVING GEAR!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Pez7378 wrote:Okay, let's just say I was foolish enough to try it. What glue should I use. Aquaseal?
Definitely not aquaseal. And consumer grade conact cement is crap. Contact Bob Thiry (sp?) here or TDS. He has real glue and good hd seals too. If you get the Viking 2-part glue it will keep for years if you keep it in a ziplock in your fridge.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

airsix wrote: If you get the Viking 2-part glue it will keep for years if you keep it in a ziplock in your fridge.
Yeah, that'll go over well in my house. I can hear my wife now, "Why are there toxic chemical next to the salad dressing?!?"

nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

eugene skin divers has done it on my buddies zip neck
I they use a big ball for the neck seals
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Nwbrewer wrote:
airsix wrote: If you get the Viking 2-part glue it will keep for years if you keep it in a ziplock in your fridge.
Yeah, that'll go over well in my house. I can hear my wife now, "Why are there toxic chemical next to the salad dressing?!?"
Are you implying that our wives might take issue with things in the crisper that come with haz-mat labels and material safety data sheets? :blah:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

nice-diver wrote:eugene skin divers has done it on my buddies zip neck
I they use a big ball for the neck seals
You mean like a heavy medicine ball instead of clamps to hold it all together? I'm trying to imagine how I would stay together while the glue dried.
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

I believe they use a ball as a form to pull the neck hole over. I found a web page where the guy used a bucket as his form. You need something to work on to hold the ring or seal while you work with the glue and other piece.

Wrist seals are easy with a 44oz pop cup, tape it up...push it through...install the seal and roll it back...apply glue...roll the seal onto the glue...roll out the bubbles
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!