Underwater camera's

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
StanKeech
Frequent Bubbler

Underwater camera's

Post by StanKeech »

I absolutely love the diverse life underwater. However, I would like to actually start documenting my underwater experience via pictures. Ive been looking at http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Category ... html?Hit=1 as well as http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Category ... html?Hit=1. I was wondering what everyone here used. I do like the Sealife cameras because you can use the camera both in and out of the water. Is it worth the extra cash for the better model?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
- Stan
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Re: Underwater camera's

Post by dwashbur »

I can't recommend Canon too highly, especially the Powershot series. Prices tend to be much better as well, and you have a choice of underwater cases in most instances. Dusty2 can tell you more about the newest models, but we have a couple of older A630's that take fantastic pictures both above and below the water. We have the Canon housings but for a bit more you can get a heavy-duty Ikelite instead. You really can't go wrong with Canon.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

For that kind of money you can easily afford a Canon G10 with the canon case which is far superior to either of those cameras. I have no love for for the Sealife cameras! they tend to be overpriced and underfeatured. For the most part they are another manufactures cheap compact digital put into an underwater case and labeled with their name.

Several of the NWDC members use Canons and they produce great pix.

and Dave the only thing wrong with the A630 is they don't make it any more! :angry: :angry:

If your ready to buy a camera PM me and I can help you get the most for your $$$ Also a good idea would be to go to the club dive Saturday and talk to the guys there that have cameras and see what they are using.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Dusty2 wrote:
and Dave the only thing wrong with the A630 is they don't make it any more! :angry: :angry:
Don't I know it! Still, there are plenty of them on ebay. Since our Casio Z1050 flooded a couple of weeks ago, and since we have an extra A630/640 case, I'm looking awful hard at getting one...

Stan, I can echo everything Dusty said, including the underwhelming nature of the Sea & Sea cameras. Definitely come to the club dive and pump everybody you can for info on cameras before making a decision!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
StanKeech
Frequent Bubbler

Post by StanKeech »

Will do. I know ill need a strobe and save up some more cash. Thanks for the input
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Post by PapaZ »

A couple considerations for an underwater camera:

1. You can save images in RAW.
2. You can set the White Balance manually underwater as needed
3. Settings do not change if you go back and forth between modes; photos to video and back, or if you turn your camera off and back on.

Good diving and look forward to seeing your pictures.

PZ
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

StanKeech wrote:Will do. I know ill need a strobe and save up some more cash. Thanks for the input
I can do the strobe for you. I have a $170 ultra max strobe I am selling for $120.00 with the fiber optic cable, diffuser and flex arm thrown in. The unit is only about 4 or 5 months old and in perfect shape. There are less expensive cameras in the Canon line that would work just fine. The G10 just happens to be the top of the line does everything model and the camera of choice for the guys that want it all!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

dwashbur wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:
Don't I know it! Still, there are plenty of them on ebay. Since our Casio Z1050 flooded a couple of weeks ago, and since we have an extra A630/640 case, I'm looking awful hard at getting one...
I have 2 A640's \:D/ \:D/ But I'm Not Going to Sell them :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :bootyshake:
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

It might be worthwhile talking with Jack at Optical Ocean too since he is local. I have seen his stuff at Marker Buoy meetings and know that he has a fairly comprehensive line of products.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver