In need of a computer...

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

In need of a computer...

Post by Nwbrewer »

So I'm thinking that after 30 some odd dives, it's time to finally get myself a computer. I've looked around some, and I think what I really want is something fairly basic, I'd prefer something without a huge amount of bells and whistles that I won't use. If anybody can recommend a basic computer that still has the following, that'd be great!

- Nitrox
- Has guage mode
- Dispalys average depth
- Has a backlight
- Water or depth activation ( I keep forgeting to start my watch ](*,) )

That's really about it. Honestly if I could find a bottom timer for cheap enough that recorded my average depth, I'd probably just dive that, but it seems like I can get a full on nitrox computer for about $50 more than an UWATEC bottom timer.

Anybody have a good recomendation? Thanks!

Jake
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

The Suunto Vyper is a nice computer, I think the Gekko is the same without the downloadable option . . . and is therefore a bit cheaper.

I agree with you, I wish the Uwatec bottom timers were closer to $100 rather than $200.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I like the Sherwood Insight. It is more liberal than Suuntos.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Sherwoods

Post by Nwbrewer »

I didn't know sherwood made a computer. It looks like the Profile is more of what I was lookig for. Do you know if it does Guage mode and average depth?
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

If all you want is gauge mode and average depth, another option is the Suunto D3, I know a lot of the depth-averaging, non-computer using, deco-incurring types around here use those as simple bottom timers.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I have a Cobra with about 50 dives on it I'd be willing to make a pretty sweet deal on. PM me if you're interested. Like PinkPadiGirl said- the Suunto is pretty darn conservative- too much so for me, but it's a good computer in all other respects.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Thanks Doug,

I had seen those. But they seem really expensive for what you get. They don't seem to give you much more that an UWATEC, and thy're a lot more expensive. For what they want for one of those I could get close to a Cochran EMC-14, or a Veo180nx or something. The search continues...

Jake
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Yeah, you are right there.

Another option could be the Dive Rite Nitek Plus, the watch-style one. I think it has gauge mode, and is around $300.

Saw a special posted on TDS re Nitek computers for $175, but it doesn't have gauge mode:

http://www.divesports.com/mall/diverite ... mputer.asp
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

The Sherwood Insight is the new version of the Profile. There is a great write up in November's Scuba Diving magazine. It hasn't been published on-line yet.

According to John Brumm, the writer of the article, he states..."For recreational divers who like simplicity, and who don't mind clicking between 3 screens to get their dive date, this is a nice computer..."

They also reviewed the Mares M2 RGBM, which I like a lot but it hasn't been released yet. I will have it as soon as it comes out. The price is right on this computer too...$299!!!
Amy Rhodes
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Amy,

From what I saw on the Sherwood website it looks like the Insight is more of an AI, do everything computer than the Profile, which looks more like a competitor with Oceanic's Veo series computers.

http://www.sherwoodscuba.com/wisdom.html

Is there any data anywhere on the Mares? Will they be adding a bunch of conservatism to the RGBM algorithms as Suunto did? I'm not in any hurry, so I can wait a while if some of the newer offerings are gonna get me a little more bang for my buck. Thanks for all your help!

Jake
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

The date I have for the Mares computer is March 07. I will have confirmation next week.

The M2 is pretty conservative, but not as much as the Suunto.

I like that it uses 2 AA batteries and you can change the batteries yourself.
Amy Rhodes
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Yeah, that is nice. I was looking at the M1, seems like the M1 even has a lot of what I was looking for. I'll have to look into what kind of improvements the M2 will give me. Thanks Again Amy for your help.

Jake
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Uwatec Aladin Tec (name is changing to G3)

- Nitrox
Yup

- Has guage mode
yes with nifty stopwatch that is key for doing accurate stops

- Dispalys average depth
one of the few

- Has a backlight
yes

- Water or depth activation
yes

About $375.

I have no idea how liberal or conservative the computer functions are, although they are adjustable. Mine is exclusively in gauge mode.

Get a deep sea supply (bungie) boot to go with it for ~$15 and you are set

Richard
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Oceanic Veo 250 is a nice little unit and does Nitrox.