Sat 2.20.10 want to dive......Garabaldi gap?

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
bugleman
Frequent Bubbler

Sat 2.20.10 want to dive......Garabaldi gap?

Post by bugleman »

I am planning a on going here.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_We ... /index.htm This is the exact entry I am planning to use.

I would like to enter the jetty were the gap is at 10:25 and work my way West-low tide is 10:45.

Would like to spear some fish and grab some crab. I have an extra steel 120 cf tank for the dive to share if someone would like to give it a try. It is supposed to be sunny and fairly warm so it should be a nice day. I have about 50 logged dives and am very safe and comfortable in the water.

The secondary objective would be to scout out Indian Head to the North.

Email Kevin_Beckman2@msn.com if you have any questions or interest.

Kevin
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Re: Sat 2.20.10 want to dive......Garabaldi gap?

Post by Beefcake »

I wish I could go; already have fishing plans. Good luck, and please report water temp and vis if you don't mind. Thanks, Scott
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Hey Kevin,

Glad to see you on here. Sorry Brian bagged out on you for this dive. I hope you find someone to go with. It looks like it is going to be a nice weekend.

Jeff
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
bugleman
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bugleman »

Hey thanks guys!

I couldn't find anyone to go on Saturday but no worries, Brian and I are making a dive or two (fingers crossed) Tomorrow Monday.

Kevin
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

We want a full dive report.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
bugleman
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bugleman »

Ok Dennis and I showed up at Barview at 12:00 the wind was light and the filtered sunshine was warm. Low water by my chart was at 1:07. We checked out the inside end and decide that with the amount of boulder hopping to get to the water there at low tide, we might as well get with it up at the CG tower. After staging our gear and selecting a flat rock, even with the surge, we studied the waves and tide for a bit. By the time we were ready to make our entry the tide had turned. :roll: The plan was to wait with our fins on for a high wave and then roll over them kicking agressively and let the water take us to freedom. :mermaid: We executed flawlessly. :partydance:

The vis was from 5-8' just enough for a bit of visual references with the boulders of the jetty. With Dennis on an AL 80 we made a turn back after about 20 min. We spent as much time finding each other than we did exploring. :calvin: We decided to take only one spear gun to force us to keep track of each other. I was able to shoot one black rock fish and Dennis could have shot a few. I had to hold back from shooting one nice ling and several other fish as I didn't know exactly where Dennis was. My gun can shoot farther than the availiable vis. :smt051

We had leaves and straw for most of the dive it just took too long to flush back the icky bay water. With just a bit more vis we would have shot quite a few fish. We were elated with the dive and felt it was a sucessful dive. We made it about 80 yards past the CG tower and the vis was improving at that time. I usually do jetty dives at just B4 high slack. With 600lbs on Dennis computer we surfaced upcurrent of our exit and slid out of the water the same way we entered with out incident. We planned our dive and dove our plan. :sunny:
INDUS_SKIPPER
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by INDUS_SKIPPER »

This is Brian not Dennis. :roll: I went with Kevin he did forget my name but he never forgot i was his buddy or that he had a spear gun in his hand.I'm a new diver (32 dives) so it's nice to have a dive buddy i can trust to be aware of his surroundings,keep in contact,and communicate underwater. THANKS Kevin, that was a great dive. :highfive:
bugleman
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bugleman »

I feel like such an oaffff! I must have not heard heard you correctly under the water.

Remember when you saw that Huge Cabizon? I couldn't see you but could hear your exhaltations and even followed the sound over to where you were? I didn't know you could do that under water, that was crazy. I though either you were entangled or were looking at a huge fish and the funny thing is that I was leaning toward fish by your tone etc.

Brian it was great having a buddy with a good sense of adventure and a cool head :snorkel: .

Kevin