Tillamook Parks Boat Launch Rules

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Re: Tillamook Parks Boat Launch Rules

Post by Diver Doug »

There is no question that as busy as it was Sat., that was a poor choice of route to the point. I understand your frustration with the divers. I just hope that the carelessness and stupidity of a few doesn't ruin it for the many.
Doug
If only I had Gills
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

I have never dove this spot, but, I HAVE read a couple of descriptions of the dive and the challenge of diving near the boat ramp. It seems to me that this dive can be made without getting in each others way, if the proper amount of consideration for the needs of others is shown. This was obviously not the case here, and I appreciate haslips bringing it to our attention. It is regretful that actions were taken to prevent diver access, if that is the case. However, I believe that the actions of these divers was unlawful already, and that there is a lawful way to do this dive by avoiding the area in front of the boat ramp, and only crossing the boats path UNDERWATER, where it is deep enough to do so.
This thread has seemed a little hostile to me, why can't we just hear haslips out and try to educate ourselves and others.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
INDUS_SKIPPER
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by INDUS_SKIPPER »

I'm a new diver, never needed help from a boater before BUT WHEN I DO, I hope they don't hate the sight of me :violent1: just because some other people lacked the wisdom and consideration of others to play together. As for the boaters,I may never save your life but divers have been known to retrieve lost items. :highfive: You never know when you will need a friend. Sharing info and bs is fun too.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Don't let this group of dickheads shape your image of all scuba divers. Most of us are pretty non-dickheadish.
CaptnJack wrote:Despite all the public beaches, its sad that OR has such limited access that people have to fight over such a small peice of real estate.
Yeah, it sucks. Thank you for your condolences. Actually though, there really isn't that much fighting going on. Let me know if you know of any good beach dives on the north coast.
Joe Blow
Avid Diver

Post by Joe Blow »

So if a person was to plan a dive here where are they to enter the water?

I called the County Commissioners Office in Tillamook and this ordinance went into effect immediately. I then called the Parks Department no answer, and waiting on a call back from Delbert F. Schleichert. From the response I got from the BOCC I'm guessing the response from the Parks Department will be somewhat hostile towards this. Apparently Mr. Haslips and the boaters all had their say on this, but not a single diver ever spoke to tell a divers side of the story.

Maybe a diver "letter writing campaign" is in order? I don't know. Seems frivolous that divers in general are being targeted for the actions of a couple douche bags.
Attachments
netarts_boat_ramp_dive_map_202[1].pdf
(76.05 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
LittleGoat
Frequent Bubbler

Post by LittleGoat »

I just ran across this forum and decided to read a little. I am resurrecting this thread because I would like to shed a little light on this. With my severely limited legal background (took one criminal justice class in college) I know that wording and language are everything when it comes to law. It's how big corporations get out of paying the majority of taxes they should be (but that's a different story).
Ordinance 43 wrote: 30.4.3 No person shall be permitted to fish, scuba drive {this is not a typo, read it}, swim or dive from
boat launches, boarding floats, or moorages operated by the County
Parks Department.
This will only fix one of the problems that haslips stated: the two divers on the ramp. It does not prohibit the swimming or diving around or in front of the ramp. Granted, if you want to be safe in your activities, you shouldn't be doing so anyway. So, you can still dive at Netarts, you just cannot start your dive from the ramp. This also doesn't apply to any State Parks or State Park maintained facilities that are within Tillamook County. That being said, do not argue with a Sheriff about it if they want to write you a ticket. They can make your life hell if you do.

This law is another example of the government having to keep people safe because they lack the ability to do so themselves.

Hopefully some kind divers will help to turn the opinions of boaters by helping them recover lost items.
I am not a capricorn... I am a Seagoat.
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Post by Beefcake »

I dove this site for the first time today (54 degrees, 2' of vis on top with a whopping 5' on the bottom, very few crabs but lots of fun stuff to look at, started shortly after low tide and did a drift dive from the boat ramp to roadside pullout, max depth 24'). I can see the issue; the boat ramp is the only decent access for diving, but it is a tight area if people take boats bigger than about 20' LOA. We were polite to the myriad of boaters launching, and there was no problem. Why can't it be that way all the time? I'm sure it would have been worse on a busy weekend, but we were there at the busiest time of day during spring break, so it wasn't deserted by any means. I can see how a large group of divers could easily clog the ramp for 5 minutes before getting out of the traffic area, but most novice boaters take longer than that to launch anyway, so what's the difference?

Anyway, it was easy for my dive buddy and I to use the left side of the ramp and completely avoid the boats launching along the dock. This was a much better alternative than lugging 100 lbs of gear down the loose rock dike from the road (I know because this was how we exited the water). If they start enforcing this, I'll obviously dive a different plan in the future, but I intend to write a few letters in the meantime to see if we can't just keep things the way they have been (and should be) - joint access based on common courtesy.
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

Amen, I second.
If only I had Gills
LittleGoat
Frequent Bubbler

Post by LittleGoat »

Beefcake wrote:...I intend to write a few letters in the meantime to see if we can't just keep things the way they have been (and should be) - joint access based on common courtesy.
If you find an address and a name of who to send those letters to, please let us all know so we can write them too!
I am not a capricorn... I am a Seagoat.
Joe Blow
Avid Diver

Post by Joe Blow »

Links to contact info. These are the people I would be writing my letters to.

First up is the Board of County Commissioner
http://www.co.tillamook.or.us/gov/Bocc/default.htm

Then the head of the Parks Department
http://www.co.tillamook.or.us/gov/Parks/default.htm

I contacted the BOCC and the parks dept. The only people that I can't get a call back from is the Parks Department. I'll give em to the end of the week before I write em off though.
NWScubaGal
Just Settling In

Post by NWScubaGal »

How about something like this for form letter?? We can each do something similar and send it off.

Mabye we can adapt the letter a little more. Since I am a new diver I may not know the terms or needs...

Dear County Commissioners,
As a Scuba Diving enthusiast , I am writing this letter to seek a plausible solution to a problem which was presented by several divers who lacked courtesy and safety while using a facility.
Most divers are aware of safety issues and do not interfere with boating public. We both use the waterways and enjoy our public parks which we all pay taxes to maintain.
Due to the recent safety issues presented at Netarts Bay, we would like to offer solutions which would allow both parties to use our public land and reduce risk to the counties, and users of the facility.
1) Safe alternate access for divers, 200 feet away (or more) from the boat ramp. This would include:
a. Suitable parking with a drive –ramp for gear so heavy gear can be dropped at the water edge.
b. Development of a safe drive-ramp for diver use (Divers could come help with a work day)
c. Maintenance to be co-shared with county.
d. Access limited to divers and their families, just as access to boat ramps are limited to boats.

2) Fines to divers boating from the boat ramp to be used towards maintenance of diving area.
If we could implement this sort of arrangement, it will encourage divers to use the facility specifically made for safe decent and ascent thus limiting liability for all. We cannot let the actions of a few unsafe/rude divers dictate the use of a public facility any more than we can let a few bad boaters dictate the future boat use of that same ramp. We also own boats and have seen numerous ‘boaters’ drinking, being rude, not following the no wake zone. These boaters often are not reprimanded, and when they are it is in the form of fines. They are not told that all boaters must go.
Due to safety issues, I respect the closing of the ramp to divers, however since we are taxpaying citizens and this public county park is also ours to enjoy, we respectfully ask that we look into a solution allowing water access to divers as well.
Sincerely
Theresa
bmcsteve
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bmcsteve »

I like it Theresa. Now we just need to get a bunch of folks to send it in.
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

You bet it would sure be nice to have an entrance like the jetty at florence. I was just looking at it. Couldn't get any better than that.
If only I had Gills
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

I just dove there today and a park ranger came by to check on people paying the parking fee.
He didn't say a word about not using the boat ramp (hardly any boats around here all day).

On my envelope for remitting my parking fee I wrote scuba diver on it.
Hopefully some more divers start doing this so the parks department can see divers are active users of the area.

Alternate access would be better then the boat ramp ... But I suspect it would be too much money.
Another option would be for the county to deepen the big boat ramp and move the boaters over there - reserve the small boat ramp for divers and other non-motorized uses.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com