UTD Essentials Class

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

UTD Essentials Class

Post by ORDiver »

I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in doing the UTD Essentials class referenced in this posting http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11419. Brian from Frog Kick Diving would be willing to travel down here and do the class in mid to late June. I have one 2 person team for the class. We would need at least one more two person team (not more than two more teams) to make the class viable.
NWScubaGal
Just Settling In

Re: UTD Essentials Class

Post by NWScubaGal »

What is the fee for two people and what do we need equipment wise to be ablt to participate?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

NWScubaGal wrote:What is the fee for two people and what do we need equipment wise to be ablt to participate?
you'll have to contact brian (known as bdub here on nwdc) about the fee, but there's some good info on his website, including a list of equipment needed:

http://www.frogkickdiving.com/UTD_Equip ... quirements

if you don't have the necessary gear, i'm willing to bet some loaners could be arranged for your class.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Hey there NWScubaGal. Due to the lack of other Portland folks interested in this myself and Stan (NoExcuses) went ahead and set up a class with Brian up in Seattle for 6/19, 6/20 and 6/26/10. These are all weekend days so that us Oregon folks are able to make it.
You should get a hold of Brian at the contact info above and see if he has anyone else scheduled if your interested. It'd be great to have you. I'm pretty sure he has extra equipment available to borrow too.

Here's the link to the UTD website: http://www.unifiedteamdiving.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You don't need much for Essentials, non-split fins and a long hose. I have gear to loan if you need or want to try something in particular.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

I'm bringing this thread back to life because I talked to these guys at the expo in Tacoma. I was really interested in their approach and training. I'm hoping to get in on something soon. If anyone else is, get in touch with these guys!

I'm just saying... :joshsmith:
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

lavachickie wrote:I'm bringing this thread back to life because I talked to these guys at the expo in Tacoma. I was really interested in their approach and training. I'm hoping to get in on something soon. If anyone else is, get in touch with these guys!

I'm just saying... :joshsmith:
If you need gear to borrow, anything you could possibly want can be easily arranged for the class. Just let Brian or Jeanna know what you want/need.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The equipment requirements for Essentials are really minimal . . . you need a long hose on your primary, because primary donation is an integral part of the approach, and you need paddle fins of some kind, because learning the various kicks in split fins is very difficult.

My guess is that Brian and Jeanna have loaners of regulators and fins; and if they don't, in the greater Seattle more-or-less-DIR community, almost anything can be found and lent.

The class is a very good one. It's basic and constructive (no pass/fail) and will introduce both diving skills that are extremely useful, and some diving theory/ideas to which most OW divers have not been introduced, like gas management, and some different approaches to ascents. My husband took this class several years ago, and enjoyed it enormously. And I can tell you from personal experience that Brian is a very good instructor.

Anyway, I'm with Richard -- if you need something, equipment-wise, get in touch. I probably have it to lend.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

DBrown and I are registered for the June class, and I'm truly excited about fine-tuning my skills. I believe Mattleycrue76 described it in a way that clicked. "Your OW class should be subtitled 'How not to die.' Your AOW class is 'How to go deeper and not die.' Essentials is 'How to DIVE.'" Sound right?
Kelly
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ktb wrote:"Your OW class should be subtitled 'How not to die.' Your AOW class is 'How to go deeper and not die.' Essentials is 'How to DIVE.'" Sound right?
or at the very least, "how to not die while looking good doing it."

:neener:
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

spatman wrote:
ktb wrote:"Your OW class should be subtitled 'How not to die.' Your AOW class is 'How to go deeper and not die.' Essentials is 'How to DIVE.'" Sound right?

I'd settle for that! :tomnic:
Kelly
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

spatman wrote:

When are we going to get a stroke smilie?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

ktb wrote:DBrown and I are registered for the June class, and I'm truly excited about fine-tuning my skills. I believe Mattleycrue76 described it in a way that clicked. "Your OW class should be subtitled 'How not to die.' Your AOW class is 'How to go deeper and not die.' Essentials is 'How to DIVE.'" Sound right?
Seems a little pretentious to me, but I only know how not to die...

A great UTD thread though and "almost" smells of marketing up some classes...good thing it is not.
Last edited by Norris on Mon May 24, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

You'll have fun, Brian is a good teacher from what I hear. I have never taken a class from him, but he's a great guy, that is half the battle. Finding an instructor who likes his job and not just there to pump out students. when he's done with you, you will either love diving or never return for more. Most likely you will love it.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

scottsax wrote:
spatman wrote:

Done. We have a Sounder smiley already :angry:
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

scottsax wrote:When are we going to get a stroke smilie?

We've had one for a long time: :joshsmith:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sockmonkey wrote:
scottsax wrote:
spatman wrote:

Done. We have a Sounder smiley already :angry:
I thought we had a Mattley :partyman: smiley? Does double duty with Joe :smt064
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Norris wrote:
ktb wrote:DBrown and I are registered for the June class, and I'm truly excited about fine-tuning my skills. I believe Mattleycrue76 described it in a way that clicked. "Your OW class should be subtitled 'How not to die.' Your AOW class is 'How to go deeper and not die.' Essentials is 'How to DIVE.'" Sound right?
Seems a little pretentious to me, but I only know how not to die...

A great UTD thread though and "almost" smells of marketing up some classes...good thing it is not.
I was the one that brought the thread back to life, and I have nothing to do with UTD, other than talking to them at the Tacoma dive/travel expo for the first time this weekend. Their approach appeals to me, and I'm looking for some more training that is pointed TRAINING and not just, "Let's go out and dive more." Yeah, I wanna do that, too, but frankly I want someone looking at what I'm doing, providing some feedback and urging me to continue toward an excellence that I won't easily get to with just myself and my other buddies. =-)
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I completely understand and apologize if it seemed as though I was insinuating that you were. That was not my intention, I was merely joking about where the thread was going and not what started it. I think I am just emotional because we are out of ice cream...
:burntchef:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

DID someone say ICE CREAM? What Flavor Norris? I like Strawberry, any other flavor that is not blue or bubble gum
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Seriously I feel ya on the blue, I mean blue is just not a normal food color, and even blue berries are purpley and stuff. I'm just saying.......

Purpley (adjective) - purple colored
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Maverick wrote:DID someone say ICE CREAM? What Flavor Norris? I like Strawberry, any other flavor that is not blue or bubble gum
rick would never admit it but his favorite ice cream is :koolaid: -flavored.

:blackblink:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

:goodpost:
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I only eat ice cream if I have a team to do it with . . . and then we have to agree on the flavor, the amount of ice cream, the size of the spoons, and . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

...redundant spoons...