Any abalone divers out there ?

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
matt mattsion

Any abalone divers out there ?

Post by matt mattsion »

Hello I was wondering is there any abalione divers out hear ? if so I would love to chat and share ab info with you. I have ben wanting to try the abalone diving up there. I would glady share some of my good intel down on the sonoma and mendo coast for some intel for up there, keep in mind I am a trophy hunter so any of the spots I share will give you a chance at a ten incher ! I would really like to try and get one of each of the 3 species you all have up there. also if you get the chance check out my web site and join here is the link. http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/index.php
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Any abalone divers out there ?

Post by John Rawlings »

Welcome to the club! It'd be good to have some free-divers on the board!

However....Abalone has been closed up here in Washington for around 20 years. If you find anyone up here that claims to be harvesting them they're poachers....and probably not the type of person you'd really want to associate with....

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The current limit in OR is 1 per day with a min size 8"
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

matt mattsion wrote:keep in mind I am a trophy hunter so any of the spots I share will give you a chance at a ten incher !
TWSS!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Pez7378 wrote:
matt mattsion wrote:keep in mind I am a trophy hunter so any of the spots I share will give you a chance at a ten incher !
TWSS!
Ahhh baloney!

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:The current limit in OR is 1 per day with a min size 8"
and a max of 5 per year.
matt mattsion

Post by matt mattsion »

I am aware of the regs, just looking for some info on good spots and dive shops in the area, and maybe meet some ab diver's from the area.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

matt mattsion wrote:I am aware of the regs, just looking for some info on good spots and dive shops in the area, and maybe meet some ab diver's from the area.
You are not going to meet too many. They have to have been diving for more than 20yrs.

The abalone up here are infected with a virus that keeps killing them. A word of warning the last poacher that was picked up on the peninsula got a total of 30 combined yrs at Federal Prison. He was poaching the planted beds of the genetically engineered abalone that are being developed for a resistance to the virus so they threw everything they could at him. His excuse when they raided his house was this is what he did in California.
Last edited by loanwolf on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
AB219
Aquaphile

Post by AB219 »

matt mattsion wrote:Hello I was wondering is there any abalone divers out hear ? If so I would love to chat and share ab info with you. I have ben wanting to try the abalone diving up there. I would gladly share some of my good intel down on the sonoma and mendo coast for some intel for up there, keep in mind I am a trophy hunter so any of the spots I share will give you a chance at a ten incher ! I would really like to try and get one of each of the 3 species you all have up there. also if you get the chance check out my web site and join here is the link. http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/index.php

10-inchers...... we look for the 11-inchers in Oregon!!! You need a permit in Oregon to dive for abalone, when you get that PM me and we will go for some trophy's...JUST YOU. I will make you swear a oath of secrecy to my spots.

gl
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California
D) Puget Sound Washington

"It's not about the dive, but the journey taken."
matt mattsion

Post by matt mattsion »

AB219 wrote:
matt mattsion wrote:Hello I was wondering is there any abalone divers out hear ? If so I would love to chat and share ab info with you. I have ben wanting to try the abalone diving up there. I would gladly share some of my good intel down on the sonoma and mendo coast for some intel for up there, keep in mind I am a trophy hunter so any of the spots I share will give you a chance at a ten incher ! I would really like to try and get one of each of the 3 species you all have up there. also if you get the chance check out my web site and join here is the link. http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/index.php

10-inchers...... we look for the 11-inchers in Oregon!!! You need a permit in Oregon to dive for abalone, when you get that PM me and we will go for some trophy's...JUST YOU. I will make you swear a oath of secrecy to my spots.

gl

Sweet thanks and I will take that oath glady !!! you have my word on that ! I have only one 11 + incher would love another, what is a good time of year to plan a trip up ? I will pm you my contact info. and like I said I can and will return the favor when you come down my way.