diving from Portland

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
oregondiver
Submariner

diving from Portland

Post by oregondiver »

I am trying to talk the Browns (KTB and Derrick) into coming to Portland to dive.

I will check the flows to see when they are releasing for the Big Cliff Drift Dive as well (outside Salem, on the Santiam River). But what are some distances to dive sites from Portland to coast sites?

Anyone want to go diving at teh Oregon coast over holiday weekend?

Thanks! Since I DO live in oregon...i would really like to start diving more here as well! :supz:
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Re: diving from Portland

Post by -Aaron- »

Hmm which holiday weekend are we talking about? Labor day? Just curious if I am missing something this month :P

Well obviously offshore is the best way to go if you can arrange a boat or charter and get the weather to cooperate. For shore dives you are about an hour and a half from both Netarts and Garibaldi.

The Netarts jetty dive is an easy entry shallow dive along the jetty wall. You might not see a ton of the cool big life that you get used to running across in the Sound, but there is some nice macro and encrusting life on the wall if you take you time and look around. I did a write up of my first dive there a few months back here (http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... rts#p92948).

At the Barview Jetty in Garibaldi there is a great density of anemones and filter feeders, but last time I was there they had some construction going on that made getting in at the normal entry spot tricky, you might need to check on the status of that. Dave and I have been talking about diving the Three Graces just south of Garibaldi. I guess there is a deeper wall (60 feet) around the back side of the rocks and you can do it from shore, though there is a bit of a hill to negotiate to get down to the water.

Further south you have the Fingers at the Newport jetty. I saw a GPO there last time I dove, but I don't think it its worth making the longer trip down unless you have a heavy exchange day and want to use the Fingers to help break up the current.

I recently dove Florence and came away pretty unimpressed. They had a ton of crabs if you are looking for dinner, but the rocks are pretty "Dead" compared to the other Oregon sites I've been to. I've been told it is because they don't have off shore reefs like Newport and Garibaldi to seed the life on the Jetty.

Freshwater, there is always Big Cliff like you mentioned, I had fun when I dove there. Only saw one crawdad and one fish, but the rock structure war very cool and drifting one way was a fun change. Of course you always have the standby of Clear Lake as well. Great vis and some interesting things to see with the preserved trees and spring vents.

Drop me a line when and where you guys are going of it you have any questions. I might be able to make it out. Diving on the Oregon coast is always fun for me.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

We did Clear Lake last weekend, but Netarts and Barview sound promising . . .
Kelly
Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sabre_Rider »

Barview is out of the question without a boat right now, I believe. They are rebuilding the jetties and construction keeps you from getting close, just something to check into before you plan a trip there
Do you want to add years to your life, or life to your years?
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

The barview jetty is definitely not accessable right now. Stan and I did find a good spot just south of the east rock at Three Graces a couple of weeks ago but we were low on air and the current was kicking up good so we didn't have time to really explore. This would be a fun site if the currents were cooperating. A hand truck with larger inflatable wheels would be a good tool for this site do to the walk down the railroad tracks to the access point. It's a nice spot to go if you can't get offshore.