Crabbing in Oregon

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
matteus
Just Settling In

Crabbing in Oregon

Post by matteus »

I'm trying to figure out where the best spot to go crabbing on the coast is. I've looked at the the dive site listings for Garibaldi and Netarts, and I was wondering if there is anything closer to Salem? If it has to be Garibaldi or Netarts, is one better than the other?

Probably going to be going out sometime this next week, so any info would be great for planning. Thanks
Matt
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Re: Crabbing in Oregon

Post by ORDiver »

Are you diving for them? I'm guessing you are since this is NWDC. If so, are you diving out of a boat or from shore?
Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sabre_Rider »

Are you diving for them or using pots/traps? I've never crabbed in Netarts, but crab harbor can be good in Garibaldi. There are some good areas down at Newport also. And although I haven't been to Nehalem in years, it use to be very good. All of course on incoming tides. Outgoing tides, you're liable to lose your gear, either sweeping it out to sea or sucking the bouys under at the least. If you have the ability to get into the ocean, it's much much better. Over memorial day weekend, Crab harbor was pretty much little ones and females, we did the ocean and kicked butt, 42 one day with 5 cheapy pots and many well over the 6.25" range, all hard shells I might add. Above all, use good fresh bait, crab are pickier than most think. I commercial fished and crabbed years ago and many times out of pacific city would have 24 keepers per pot, however those were hand built pots from a friend of mine. Hope this helps
Do you want to add years to your life, or life to your years?
matteus
Just Settling In

Post by matteus »

I'm going to be diving for them, from the shore, and was looking for any tips/tricks that might be associated with that. Already have the shellfish license and know the size regs.
Matt
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Don't just know the size regulation a gauge. The look bigger under water. One buddy catches the crabs then checks sex and size and the other buddy is the bag-man. You can try the fingers or crab dock at Newport. Check with South Beach Scuba in Newport.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

You'll probably head to Newport but.. If you end up in Garibaldi you can try the old coast guard dock. It's just past "downtown" Garibaldi. You can see a long dock heading out into the bay with a building out towards it's end. You enter the water right where the dock meets the shore and can then go wherever as long as you stay west of the dock. The east side is near the new coast guard station and they don't like divers in there. I've only ever crabbed from a boat in Tillamook Bay but I see them running around all the time while I'm diving. If the crabbing sucks you can always go for clams. I know that directly across the bay, by crab harbor, cockles are everywhere.
If you're the type who likes to hike a mile or two and tow your gear and camp and stuff you can hike out the west side of the bay and camp right at crab harbor and walk in off the beach.

Pretty much all dives (except for crab harbor) in Tillamook Bay are tidal dependant so keep an eye out for a good slack. You might also want to tow a dive flag although it's debateable whether they attract or deter boats in Tillamook Bay.
Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sabre_Rider »

What little bit of chasing crabs I've done diving, I haven't had much luck with finding any big enough. To better your odds, I'd bait the little buggers in, maybe toss some bait in where you will be diving before suiting up, at least that way they would be more concentrated in an area instead of scattered. Worth a try.
Joe Blow
Avid Diver

Post by Joe Blow »

Sabre_Rider wrote:What little bit of chasing crabs I've done diving, I haven't had much luck with finding any big enough. To better your odds, I'd bait the little buggers in, maybe toss some bait in where you will be diving before suiting up, at least that way they would be more concentrated in an area instead of scattered. Worth a try.

Worth a try, but not sure it's legal............
matteus
Just Settling In

Post by matteus »

Well, ended up going to Netarts yesterday. Great weather, swam out a little ways, and went down into the worst vis I've seen; 3 feet at best. We overcame this however, and triumphantly came home with 1 red rock....awesome. We had some chicken, but I was a little weary of using it since an F&W guy was there at the boat launch. We had fun though, which correct me if I'm wrong, but in diving, means we had a good day. We'll definitely be trying this again in the future; thanks for all the tips.
Matt
Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sabre_Rider »

Right on, never eaten red rocks, guess I'll have to give it try one day. Last clamming dive I did in crab harbor at garibaldi was about 1 foot vis tops, thank god there are tons of them and easy to see. Girlfriend made some awesome chowder and chip dip. Need to make another trip back for some more. If you want the all time best crab bait, tuna heads! I am really curious about the legality of baiting, I don't see why not, you bait pots, wonder if F&W see it that way. Have to ask someone. Keep us posted on future dives............ :burntchef:
LittleGoat
Frequent Bubbler

Post by LittleGoat »

Red Rock tastes better IMO.

To get around the whole baiting issue, I would bait up some rings and have someone on shore "tend" them with a shellfish license. You could then get them concentrated and be legal.

The regs specifically state that it is illegal to take, "... or attempting to take any fish by means of chumming, or knowingly angle with the aid of chum, except chumming is allowed when fishing for offshore pelagic species outside of three miles from shore and only if no species other than offshore pelagic species have been retained." It says nothing about shellfish. By definition, it isn't illegal. In fact, it is illegal to use lines with hooks to catch crabs and shellfish.

This is my interpretation of the law. At the end of the day, it is the interpretation of the DFW Warden or State Police that really matters. Take what I say with a grain of salt.
I am not a capricorn... I am a Seagoat.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

did someone say crab :burntchef: