Trophy Abalone diving Tipps

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
ABdivermatt
Frequent Bubbler

Trophy Abalone diving Tipps

Post by ABdivermatt »

Hello all I thought I would put a post up offering my little bit of know how on Trophy abalone diving to any one who wants it, I am not pro but I do know a little bit about finding them and have had some succes at finding the big one's I am currently at 19 over ten inches. Here is a list of tips

1. Get a float line for marking holes and abalone,ten inch gauge measure twice pop once allso because a 9 3/4 looks like a ten underwater, rememeber when underwater there is refraction which make's things look 25% larger than they really are and a flash light for the dark area's.

2. Dive area's with older and bigger populations of abalone

3. Get away from the crowds, dive area's that do not get allot of pressure do not be afraid to put on the hiking gear this is not allways true ! there are allways exceptions to the rule when diving popular area's look where the novices and the masses won't in the kelp and in deep dark holes. Thus flash light

4. Do not be afraid to dive dirty water !!! dirty water usually means big abalone, 99% of diver's are going to go where it is clean and clear, so those abalone in the dirty water sit there and grow big.

5. Try diving in the break just beyond the rock pickers and just inside of where the divers would go.

6. Spend time in the water !! meaning hrs if you are the type to jump in and grab the first 3 big ones you see you probably wont find that trophy. The more time in the water means more ground covered !

7. Look for terrain with big boulders and deep and dark caves ! that is where your flash light comes in, yes they are a snail but they do not get to be big snails by being dumb. the old ones have learned to hide in the dark holes way back in the caves.

8. This is one of the major ones in my book find a partner that has the same goals and want for the trophy abalone as you. By having a partner that is just as into the hunt as you are, you will feed of each other and push one another.

9. On really calm days try diving those NW west facing area's that are normally blown out by the swell, all so allway's try new spots ! most of the time it wont pay off but once in awhile it does, plus once you have found your trophy spot you need to keep looking cause you will eventually harvest all the big ones if you keep diving the same area spread out your hunting.

10. Get a long abalone bar, not sure of Oregons regs on abalone irons so please refer to Oregon DFG but Ca regs state the following,they can not be more than 36 inches in length and no less then 3/4 inch wide and must have a 1/16 Th of an inch on the front face of the bar As for using them I have only used it once I typically crawl up into the hole but do not recommend this cause it is dangerous for obvious reasons of getting stuck or tangled on something, But when using the longer iron the object is to use the bar to pry the ab off or even just let the weight of the bar where down the ab where it falls off the rock. Now this is when it becomes creative you usually have to do what we call is lolly popping to reach the abalone and get it out of the hole. That is where you lay the iron on the meat side of the shell for awhile and let the abalone attach it's self to it and then pull it out and it looks like a lolly pop. hope that helps.

I am sure there is more I can add but can not think of right know, I would all so highly recommend checking out my very good friend and one of my 2 dive mentors Erick Anderson web site out called abalone ten diver's and his abalone diving tips page. You will SE allot of the same tips
http://sites.google.com/site/abaloneten ... divingtips

all so watch these 3 you tube clips from Jack Likins,Phill Johnson and Dwayne Dinucci these 3 guy's are some of the best trophy hunters around
DWAYNE DINUCCI on TROPHY DIVING TIPS who currently has over 255 tens and 14 eleven inch abalone
http://www.youtube.com/user/abaloneten# ... PVc0lNgQUs

PHIL JOHNSON on TROPHY DIVING TIPS who currently has 225 + tens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjkZ0GrF3d4

Hope this helps.
COME CHECK US OUT
Norcal Underwater Hunters.com
Diving the second best wet pleasure !
My worst day diving is still better than my best day at work !
When you enter the water you enter the food chain !