Netarts dive, Nov 20th

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
JohnE
Frequent Bubbler

Netarts dive, Nov 20th

Post by JohnE »

Did two dives at Netarts today. Water temp 46F, vis 2 ft.

Tried the low tide and I didn't time it very well. Took the nearest tide station up at Barview (2:20pm) and figured I should add 15 minutes for Netarts. 6 ft of exchange going into the low, almost 5 ft after the low.

Well, we ended up battling a very stiff current on both dives. Started the first dive at 1:30pm. Second dive at 2:30pm.

Having obviously gotten it wrong I did some research when I got home. Looks like some places have Netarts low/high around 40 minutes later than Barview. Based on my experience today I'd agree. Although at the end of our dive, a little after 3pm, the current was still running strong.

We did scrape a couple of enjoyable dives out of it. Saw 2 giant pac octopus, many of the usual cast for Netarts.

With the very strong current most everything that could hide deeply in the rocks was hidden.
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Re: Netarts dive, Nov 20th

Post by guitarmaker »

WoW!!! That's pretty good viz for Netarts! :smt064
Cheers!

Ron
LittleGoat
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Netarts dive, Nov 20th

Post by LittleGoat »

I must not look in the rights places because I never seem to be able to find GPO.
I am not a capricorn... I am a Seagoat.
JohnE
Frequent Bubbler

Netarts dive, Nov 20th

Post by JohnE »

They were deep into holes. Must be nesting as they had rocks pulledup to block the hole partially. When you see the cracked red rock crab shells start looking into every hole in a wide area.