Blue Magpie Newport Oregon

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Blue Magpie Newport Oregon

Post by FlyinV »

Stumbled across this cool video on youtube about the wreck near the Newport Jetty in Oregon

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDveGpb6ZBE[/youtube]
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Re: Blue Magpie Newport Oregon

Post by Beefcake »

Nice. It would be a rare day that I'd want to dive north of the jetty, but it would be cool to see what's left. There is also a sunken sailboat in shallow water in the middle of the bay halfway up to Toledo that I've always meant to check out. I think that video is fairly old, but not sure. As a side-note, I wonder what brand drysuits those were... (kidding - the main diver in the video is the owner of USIA).
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Beefcake wrote:I think that video is fairly old, but not sure.
1989. There's probably nothing left of that ship by now.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Aaron Gifford commented to me on Facebook he recently went out there and dove this area and would put together some of his awesome video work about it.

That video above is way old -- 1989? and that's really interesting the USIA guy is in it (I am kinda a local diving history buff)
Last edited by FlyinV on Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Diving a wreck in an exposed surf area on the Oregon coast like that is just plain crazy! :nutty:

I bet you find more than a couple of days a year that it is even possible!
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Jeff Carr and Scott Boyd are expanding their Wreck diving book to include wrecks on the Oregon Coast. It would not surprise me if the Blue Magpie was not in the next book.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

Aaron and company dove a wreck by the name of the SS Joseph Aspdin which is in that same area. I was supposed to have been with them but had to work. Are there 2 separate wrecks in that same area? You right Dusty, the Aspdin is only dove at high tide and calm seas - you can see the surf breaking above the wreck on a minus tide. Because it was built of reinforced concrete it has (apparently) held up ok but it’s also, reportedly, very snaggy because of lots exposed rebar; not a good combination if your fighting surf and surge.
Cheers!

Ron
AB219
Aquaphile

Post by AB219 »

guitarmaker wrote:Aaron and company dove a wreck by the name of the SS Joseph Aspdin which is in that same area. I was supposed to have been with them but had to work. Are there 2 separate wrecks in that same area? You right Dusty, the Aspdin is only dove at high tide and calm seas - you can see the surf breaking above the wreck on a minus tide. Because it was built of reinforced concrete it has (apparently) held up ok but it’s also, reportedly, very snaggy because of lots exposed rebar; not a good combination if your fighting surf and surge.

Yes Ron, you missed one of the Best Dives on the Oregon Coast. I hope you have your priorities straighten out for the 2012 dive season on the coast of Oregon!!!! :)
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California
D) Puget Sound Washington

"It's not about the dive, but the journey taken."
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Post by Beefcake »

FlyinV wrote:... that's really interesting the USIA guy is in it (I am kinda a local diving history buff)
I have seen a few of his videos pop up recently. You could search youtube for videos by CAPTKUJO (aka Kim Johns). He's a cool guy with a broad history of charter fishing, diving, and boatbuilding on the Oregon Coast.
mwalczak
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by mwalczak »

Hello

I wanted to get more info on a dive site of the Joseph Aspdin. My grandfather Charles Wilson was the captain of the ship in WW II. I have documents from the ship from the war.

Thanks

Mike

michaelwalczak@hotmail.com
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

Mike, here's a web site that shows the wrecks location
http://shipwreck.findthedata.org/l/1294 ... eph-Aspdin
Cheers!

Ron