Netarts 14Apr12

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
thomo
Just Settling In

Netarts 14Apr12

Post by thomo »

Anyone interested in hitting up Netarts bay on the 14th. definitely out of crab season but wanting to perhaps see what we can find.

Got a new dive camera I am wanting to try out and need to play with my weighting a bit to get it down as well. Pm or post.

Thomo
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Re: Netarts 14Apr12

Post by Beefcake »

I was there Saturday and the viz looked decent. I was wishing I had my gear with me. There are a few crabs around as well (not a ton, but Netarts doesn't have as much fresh water as the other bays, so they don't all flush to sea with the rains). I don't think I can make the 14th, but I'll get in touch if that changes.
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

Yuk! The tides are not in your favor. I'd plan on an early splash and get out before the outgoing tide cranks up. Something you might consider is to bring a non-diver to let you out at the upper end and drift to where you want out at - I've never done it but know others have.
http://www.protides.com/oregon/1765/
Cheers!

Ron
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

There is some great colorful critters to take pictures of at Netarts.
We even encounter Octos along the wall in less then 30 feet under.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Post by Beefcake »

guitarmaker wrote:Yuk! The tides are not in your favor. I'd plan on an early splash and get out before the outgoing tide cranks up. Something you might consider is to bring a non-diver to let you out at the upper end and drift to where you want out at - I've never done it but know others have.
http://www.protides.com/oregon/1765/
We've done that on a mellow flood tide at Netarts. We started at the boat ramp and drifted up the bay until we were low on air (quite some time due to the shallow depth). The guy we left on shore watched until we climbed the rocks to the road, then he brought my SUV to pick us up in the upper bay. It was way better than having to stay in one place or hike back to the truck.