Albany woman dies diving off south jetty in Newport, Oregon

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Albany woman dies diving off south jetty in Newport, Ore

Post by Dusty2 »

In such a situation as that my only assessment would relate to whether or not I have the resources to act with reasonable odds of a successful rescue. That is the main thing rescue class thought me. Don't drown the rescuer! :BDub:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I have to agree with the sentiment that ditching weights at the surface isn't emphasized enough. I WAS taught to do it, but don't remember ever doing it in class, although I may have forgotten. My point is that lots of divers don't even think of doing it when they get into trouble. It should maybe be emphasized more, because it can solve a whole lot of problems a newer diver might encounter.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:I have to agree with the sentiment that ditching weights at the surface isn't emphasized enough. I WAS taught to do it, but don't remember ever doing it in class, although I may have forgotten. My point is that lots of divers don't even think of doing it when they get into trouble. It should maybe be emphasized more, because it can solve a whole lot of problems a newer diver might encounter.
I'm the same way. Probably to this day even. Its just not part of my gut/intuitive reactions, on the surface or otherwise.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.