New rock scallop reporting requirement

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
OreCoastDiver
Avid Diver

New rock scallop reporting requirement

Post by OreCoastDiver »

Just thought I would pop in and give a heads up to all you rock scallop harvesters :burntchef:.

Starting in 2013, divers who harvest rock scallops in Oregon waters will be required to report their catch to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife using a free harvest card.

Since 1996, ODFW has required all recreational abalone harvesters to complete an annual harvest card. This same card now includes space for rock scallop harvesters to report their catch. Through this reporting, abalone and rock scallop harvesters will provide important information about these resources to ODFW biologists and improve their ability to manage them.

Anyone recreationally harvesting abalone or rock scallops will need to obtain the free abalone and scallop harvest card in addition to an Oregon shellfish license. The harvest card is easy to get and simple to complete. Limits for abalone and rock scallops remain the same: one per day and five per year for abalone and 24 rock scallops per day.

Divers can get abalone/scallop permits by contacting ODFW Marine Resources Program in Newport 541-867-4741, Charleston 541-888-5515 or Astoria 503-325-2462. For more information visit: (http://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/shellfis ... allops.asp).

I will now go back to working on my sailboat.
Brandon
Compression is good for the soul.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: New rock scallop reporting requirement

Post by LowDrag »

Thanks, that is good to know because I hope to be harvesting some scallops this year.
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

One other thing that I believe is new is that scallops are not be removed from the shell in the field, except for immediate consumption. My 2psi is that it would better to leave the shells as close to the taking point as possible because of all the organisms attached, but I don't make the rules.
sekhmet
Avid Diver

Post by sekhmet »

Hey thanks for posting the new requirement for scallop harvest as I DO make the rules (used to work on the ODFW regulations anyway- do not currently)and leaving the shells is a great idea! ODFW needs to get a better handle on scallop populations and as you know, they are very long lived, so want to avoid an over harvest situation if one exists!
"Fish Worship: Is It Wrong?"