Attention Oregon Divers

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
bmcsteve
Frequent Bubbler

Attention Oregon Divers

Post by bmcsteve »

Hello there,

I am trying to compile a list of available shore dives in Oregon. I am asking you folks to send me any info you may have on any and all shore dives including lakes and rivers that you know of here in our state. Things such as reviews, site maps, EAP info, best times to dive, and really anything else about the site would be helpful.

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. I am posting this on a couple message boards, so you may see it elsewhere.
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Re: Attention Oregon Divers

Post by nice-diver »

clear lake, cold water cove, fish lake, waldo lake, odell lake, blue river res, dexter res duck dock, dexter covered bridge, curry hole, greenwood launch, hayden bridge, trailbridge res, wildwood falls, sharps creek, foster res, newport jetty, sutton lake, mercer lake, florence fishladder, florence south jetty, woahink bridge, woahink gazeboo, carter lake. This is a list of the few places i have dove. Which one s do you want to know about??
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
bmcsteve
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bmcsteve »

[quote="Scubagirl45 We need to go diving together!!!! Most of those places are a whole lot closer to me than Puget Sound!!![/quote]

Amen to that.... I never realized there were so many places to dive in Oregon. So.... like my OP says, I am looking for any and all info.

I started this out just to research some local dive sites, but I have also noticed that there are no "Oregon Shore Dives" books out there. So, if I can gather enough sites to fill a decent size book, I may try to write one. I like to write, and I like to dive, so it sounds like fun. Besides that, I would get to dive a lot of different places in the name of research for my book. LOL.

This is just in the "pipe dream" stage, but if it ever gets off the ground, I would give full credit to any source of info used.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

bmcsteve wrote:I started this out just to research some local dive sites, but I have also noticed that there are no "Oregon Shore Dives" books out there. So, if I can gather enough sites to fill a decent size book, I may try to write one. I like to write, and I like to dive, so it sounds like fun. Besides that, I would get to dive a lot of different places in the name of research for my book. LOL.

i'm pretty sure there are quite a few of us oregon divers who would be happy to assist you in your research! :hello2:
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

those are just the places I have been, there are alot of watering holes I want to dive. Have you checked http://www.shorediving.com?? oregon has some sites listed with reviews and pictures. I even have a eugene area dives book written by a local diver, so one exists.

always willing to dive anytime...anywhere...with anyone...and have
i flickr

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

munsel lake, lake marie, half moon bay, winchester bay crab dock, newport crab dock, newport drift out. I forgot a couple.
i flickr

narcosis Junky
Aquaphile

Post by narcosis Junky »

Nice-diver also forgot the old train cars on the West end of Woahink. And I will be planning a dive up at Crater Lake this summer. A nother incredible dive. Clear lake you can dive the lodge or the camground on the South West end. Just to name a few. And there is also a drift dive that starts at the life guard tower on the Florence North jetty, down to the old fish ladder. And a whole lot more if you like river diving. Just my .02 bubles.
Want to go dive in Oregon. I can help. Biginner or experienced it doesn't matter.
want to do some underwater photography I will help if I can. I'm a dive Junky. Cold or hot.
I spear fish, night dive, deep dive. I do it all. Contact me.
http://flickr.com/photos/8680102@N04/
sekhmet
Avid Diver

Post by sekhmet »

narcosis Junky wrote:Nice-diver also forgot the old train cars on the West end of Woahink. And I will be planning a dive up at Crater Lake this summer. A nother incredible dive. Clear lake you can dive the lodge or the camground on the South West end. Just to name a few. And there is also a drift dive that starts at the life guard tower on the Florence North jetty, down to the old fish ladder. And a whole lot more if you like river diving. Just my .02 bubles.

hey, we want to dive netarts. we have a person with us who wants to do an easy, close cold water dive and we thought netarts would be good. your ideas/tips for diving? also, live in salem and don't want to drive 3.5 hours for once.... ::hello2:
"Fish Worship: Is It Wrong?"
narcosis Junky
Aquaphile

Post by narcosis Junky »

What is netarts? :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
Want to go dive in Oregon. I can help. Biginner or experienced it doesn't matter.
want to do some underwater photography I will help if I can. I'm a dive Junky. Cold or hot.
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

I could do Netarts but am heading to the Treasure hunt! :supz: Maybe another time?
Fortes fortuna iuvat
submarine
Avid Diver

Post by submarine »

Netarts is a bay West of Tillamook. It is a faily shallow sandy bottom aside of the water channel (still not too deep). The unique thing about this bay is that there are no fresh water rivers that feed into it. The diving is just ok with the best areas near the boat ramp around the rock jettys. The water does move quite a bit so it is best to plan dive near slack or plan a drift along the rock jetty. The bay can be very good for crabbing but, earlier this year it wasn't so hot. Theres my two cents...
Matt & Stacy

Do We Dive?... Of Course!
Life Is An Adventure...
It is not the destination that is the most rewarding,
It is the journey along the way!

http://i-rv.net/gallery/main.php
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

narcosis Junky wrote:What is netarts? :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

contact Sparky. he dives there all the time.
bmcsteve
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bmcsteve »

I have a good site description for Netarts, but cant seem to upload it here since it is a PDF file. So if anyone is interested in seeing it email me at bmcsteve@msn.com and I will send it to you.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

bmcsteve
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bmcsteve »

Thanks Matt. I have to give credit to someone else for creating this though. I downloaded it from the diverhead.com message board a while back.
narcosis Junky
Aquaphile

Post by narcosis Junky »

More Oregon freah water diving. dive Blue River Reservoir. You can dive the West end or the East end. Borth have awsome walls that just go down and down all the way to 250 feet. Great place to practice wall diving. Viz is around 15 to 20 feet right now. The walls are impressive. There is one on the West end just left of the dam. Easy walk in down a boat ramp that is closed to the boating comunity. And the wall on the East end. Make a left and drive on the dam, stay on the main road (right) and go half to 3/4 of a mile and turn right you will see an Island. Park and get in the water. You can dive around the island. On the back side, you will find a nother wall that just drops and drops. It's also impressive. And they say you can't do any deep diving in Oregon. Huh! Temp at surface was 73 and 41 at a 100 feet. Elevation is only 1300 feet and it's 45 minute from Eugene. ever want to go e-mail me.