Big Cliff Drift Dive, Sept 21st

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Big Cliff Drift Dive, Sept 21st

Post by spatman »

i have waited all year to hear when Salem Scuba was going to do this dive, and of course it happens on a day when i've scheduled a scuba class. what am i thinking?!?! education over a drift dive down a cool mountain river?

well, some of you may be able to go, and if you are free on september 21st i recommend you try this dive. i've never been, but i hear it's a blast.

the folks at Salem Scuba are leading this dive, and there's no cost to join them. get more info at info@salemscuba.com or call them.

here's the dive description blatantly copied from their site:
Big Cliff at Detroit, OR - between the two dams: Drift dive. One of the most unique dives in the country. Water is let out of the dam creating a great ride! Like flying along in a Wile E. Coyote cartoon! Great topography and rock formations. Life includes sculpin, trout, crawdads, lost human items, white fish, and Giant Pacific Salamanders. This is especially great at night when more life emerges. Water comes from the bottom of the dam, so expect cold, clear waters until Sept. & Oct. (which is the ultimate drift season). Avg depth is 30' with a 76' hole near the end. Dive ends at Big Cliff boat ramp (which is also a good & easy shore dive). ETA from Salem: 45 minutes
and if you do go, take a lot of pictures! or better yet, video!!

:occasion5:
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Re: Big Cliff Drift Dive, Sept 21st

Post by nice-diver »

Its a foot hills resivour drift dive not really a rageing river. A couple years back, I dove it with two buddies, we didn't do the drift (tiny amount of drawdown by the army corp) but were able to scuba upstream and drift back. It was fun.
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

This is coming up next weekend. Is anyone interested in going?
Fortes fortuna iuvat
cmason
Just Settling In

Post by cmason »

I see the description on the Salem Scuba website, but it's just about the site generally. It sounds really cool. Is there an organized dive on the 21st? I'd be interested for sure... I'll call Salem Scuba tomorrow and report what I find out...

-c
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

there is an organized dive.... or a plan to get together anyway... They actually do this dive every so often, its should be a great dive.... you drop in upriver and drift down to the exit...I did my drysuit checkouts there...
Fortes fortuna iuvat
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I talked to a guy named Blake at Salem Scuba and he said there was a good chance that this dive would be cancelled due to the amount of water being released from the dam up there. Call Salem Scuba before you head up there.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

looks like Salem Scuba is going to give it another try:
BIG CLIFF MID WEEK DRIFT DIVE

We are still into the good drift dive season.
If you are interested, contact Blake at blake@salemscuba.com
Looking at Oct. 15th so far...
and of course, it's the middle of the week, so no going for me.