Missing $5 at Wallowa Lake?

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
Bluesman
Just Settling In

Missing $5 at Wallowa Lake?

Post by Bluesman »

Buddy Tom and I finally got ourselves up the road to Wallowa Lake today. Being novices we took our time to get prepared and finally get in the water at the lower end boat ramp near Joseph.
A great Fall day. Leaves turning color, mild air temps, partial clouds. Fresh snow above 6,000 ft. After getting in the water Tom found someone's $5 bill around the boat dock about 6 ft down. I guess that paper sinks? From there we did not see much more than the little crayfish a trout and some junk we brought up to the dock. Bigger fish are there if you are in the right place at the right time.
Water temps about 55 degrees, visibility 12-15 ft. to depths of 20 ft.
Maybe Wallowa Lake could/should be added to the Oregon Dive sites?
Bluesman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Missing $5 at Wallowa Lake?

Post by spatman »

thanks for that report, bluesman. where is Wallowa Lake?

and feel free to add the lake to the main dive site listings forum, and i'll add the link to the Oregon list in this forum.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Scubagirl45 wrote:
spatman wrote:thanks for that report, bluesman. where is Wallowa Lake?

and feel free to add the lake to the main dive site listings forum, and i'll add the link to the Oregon list in this forum.

Wallowa Lake is over here on the dry side Matt :supz: I've never dived there, but spent many summers backpacking all over the area in my younger years.
so i guess it's not so dry out there after all! how far is it from hermiston?
Bluesman
Just Settling In

Post by Bluesman »

Wallowa Lake is at the end of Oregon hwy. 82 out of La Grande. From La Grande it is an 80 mile drive. Nice boat ramps at the north and south ends. There is a small marina at the south end. State park with camping and plenty of other tourist interests for adults and kids, including the Mt. Howard Tramway. Scenery is spectacular with 8-9,000 ft. peaks straight up from the lake. Elevation is about 4,300 ft. The lake is about 4 miles long and at its widest I think less than 1 mile. Joseph is just to the north and is home to may bronze artisans, nice shops and restaurants.
Bluesman
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

Hey thanks for finding my money, I will pm you my addy and u can send it to me, thanks :laughing3: :bootyshake:

stan