Tillamook Bay/Garibaldi dive sites questions

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Tillamook Bay/Garibaldi dive sites questions

Post by nwscubamom »

Hi guys,

I've been working on this crazy project I started last night, where I'm gathering up all the coordinates that I can for dive sites on the Oregon Coast, and mapping it all out. Also creating a text file of all the comments I can find online regarding each of the dive sites, and gathering info on tidal stations, or wave buoys, marine forecast sites, etc. I *REALLY* want to start diving the Oregon Coast (for several reasons) and figured this would be a good start.

So in my mapping, I found coordinates for Barview Jetty, but for the life of me I can't quite visualize where you do your entry (over the rocks - yuck). I found one area that shows that you can maybe park (where the red X is) and go into a little cove, and swim through a break in the jetty, thus avoiding the scramble over the rocks. Is that true? Can you? Huh? Huh?

I found comments by many of you speaking about entering at the "Coast guard tower" (wherever THAT is) :dontknow: , and entering 'midway' or also at the 'parking lot area'. So here's a map...tell me what the heck you're all talking about?!?

Being an elderly woman :) and not as agile as I used to be, I'm thinking avoiding scrambling over boulders with 100# of gear on is not in my immediate future. [-X

So, clue in the clueless!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Tillamook Bay/Garibaldi dive sites questions

Post by nwbobber »

Melissa and I went down there and the "parking area" is there by your cove, which when we were there was just a sandy area. The entry there looked a bit rough for us, so we went over to three graces. That is about a 60 yard walk then a scramble down some boulders to a pebble beach. We had a nice dive here, it is current sensitive. Lots of juvenile fish,cockles, crab. There is a rope to help with the rock climbing, I think you can do it.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

Hi Janna,
The coast guard tower that everyone talks about is on the channel side of the jetty right where the sandy beach
on the north contacts the jetty. If that makes sense. The large parking lot you were noticing is also a entry point. The large pool of water that is there is deceiving, because it is really shallow. The entry at the parking lot is easier but still a challange. You have to hike your gear down the bank and over to the rocks.
Doug
If only I had Gills
AB219
Aquaphile

Post by AB219 »

[quote="nwscubamom"]Hi guys,

I've been working on this crazy project I started last night, where I'm gathering up all the coordinates that I can for dive sites on the Oregon Coast, and mapping it all out. Also creating a text file of all the comments I can find online regarding ve, and swim through a break in the jetty, thus avoiding the scramble over the rocks. Is that true? Can you? Huh? Huh?

Hi Janna

I will give you a shout the next time I hit the Jetty in Barview. Just watch the swell report for that section of the coast. 7 feet or less on the swell and try to dive the High tide about 20 minutes before it peaks.

gl
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California
D) Puget Sound Washington

"It's not about the dive, but the journey taken."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

janna, this is an awesome project! something similar had been on my ever-lengthening personal project list. if there's anything i can do to help please let me know.

i look forward to seeing your results!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Gary (and others),

Is this the buoy you check? I've been trying to find one that's north of the Newport one, and landed on only two:
This one that sits 85 NM off of Tillamook Bay
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46089

And this one that's off the entrance to the Columbia River
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46029

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
AB219
Aquaphile

Post by AB219 »

nwscubamom wrote:Gary (and others),

Is this the buoy you check? I've been trying to find one that's north of the Newport one, and landed on only two:
This one that sits 85 NM off of Tillamook Bay
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46089

And this one that's off the entrance to the Columbia River
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46029

- Janna
The above are very good resources for real time water data.

Try this for ocean predictions:
http://www.wetsandsurfshop.com/swellwatch/

or

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/PDXCWFPDX

Good for Newport or Barview, just an idea what the ocean is doing.
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California
D) Puget Sound Washington

"It's not about the dive, but the journey taken."
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Hey Janna:

Barview is not a easy dive period. The entry at the coast guard tower is over the rip rap (giant boulders) and timing the plunge into the swells. The exit can be even worse. The three graces are a little easier entry but you still need to get down to the water. If I recall you had to hike a bit then climb down the railroad sea wall. Here is a link I have that may help a bit. If Sparky is still on the forum he has a bunch of dives there.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_We ... ndex.htm#1
Charles
bob
Avid Diver

Post by bob »

getting down the rocks is the pain in the but part .timing is not so bad when jumping in .make sure to check the wether rain has a big effect on the dive .fresh water turns the salt water white -called brackish -not sure of spelling.tony&I use 130's for the dive it's a fairly long dive .we use 2 cars one at each parking lot.it's lot's of fun !we go as often as possible