good places to crab/clam dive on OR coast

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

good places to crab/clam dive on OR coast

Post by no excuses »

Looking for good places to go crab and clam diving on the OR coast. Prefer in a bay or protected waters right now. How about Tillmook bay or Netarts? or ?? Any body have some god directions or GPS readings? I have a boat so can go after them. Thanks stan..
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Re: good places to crab/clam dive on OR coast

Post by ORDiver »

Not too experienced with Tillamook Bay but I have heard about The Lumber Dock in Garibaldi being good for clams. I've only dove Tillamook once and there were crab all over. There is a place directly south, across the channel from the coast guard station called "Crab Harbor". I know you can get them from a boat here. The boat traffic in this area might be kinda busy on the weekends though. As far as shore dives I would bet you could find crab pretty much anywhere along the highway. I'd be willing to give it a try sometime.
OreCoastDiver
Avid Diver

Post by OreCoastDiver »

ODFW has some great shellfishing maps on their Web site that show where the crabs and clams are in most of the Oregon coastal bays. Here's the URL: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/mrp/shellfis ... tocrab.asp

With all the rain we've been having, most of the crab have been flushed out of the bays. The exception would be Netarts because there isn't a lot of fw drainage into that bay.

Hope this helps.
Brandon
Compression is good for the soul.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

ORDiver wrote:Not too experienced with Tillamook Bay but I have heard about The Lumber Dock in Garibaldi being good for clams. I've only dove Tillamook once and there were crab all over. There is a place directly south, across the channel from the coast guard station called "Crab Harbor". I know you can get them from a boat here. The boat traffic in this area might be kinda busy on the weekends though. As far as shore dives I would bet you could find crab pretty much anywhere along the highway. I'd be willing to give it a try sometime.
I was thinking of going this wekend but have tweaked my back so I will not be going this weeknd and with all the rain it looks like they would be pushed out in the ocean. Plan on dumping in a few crab pots while I am at it also. Have not had fresh crab and clams for a long time.. :pale: Will have to get together before to long, stan..
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

OreCoastDiver wrote:ODFW has some great shellfishing maps on their Web site that show where the crabs and clams are in most of the Oregon coastal bays. Here's the URL: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/mrp/shellfis ... tocrab.asp

With all the rain we've been having, most of the crab have been flushed out of the bays. The exception would be Netarts because there isn't a lot of fw drainage into that bay.

Hope this helps.
sweet thanks for the info and maps, just what I was looking for :hello2:
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

no excuses wrote:
ORDiver wrote:Not too experienced with Tillamook Bay but I have heard about The Lumber Dock in Garibaldi being good for clams. I've only dove Tillamook once and there were crab all over. There is a place directly south, across the channel from the coast guard station called "Crab Harbor". I know you can get them from a boat here. The boat traffic in this area might be kinda busy on the weekends though. As far as shore dives I would bet you could find crab pretty much anywhere along the highway. I'd be willing to give it a try sometime.
I was thinking of going this wekend but have tweaked my back so I will not be going this weeknd and with all the rain it looks like they would be pushed out in the ocean. Plan on dumping in a few crab pots while I am at it also. Have not had fresh crab and clams for a long time.. :pale: Will have to get together before to long, stan..
Maybe in a couple of weeks.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

SO whats the Viz and crabbing prospects for this weekend?? Weather looks like its going to be pretty good all week.

stan
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I have always gone to Nehalem Bay. I anchor in a small indentation by a railroad bridge that is west of Cloverdale. It is right past a private marina. About 14' or so depth and crab or clam. Good luck
Charles